Are watches airtight?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Are watches airtight?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Are watches airtight?

Are watches airtight?I was reading somewhere on this forum that watches are not airtight, even when they are waterproof. Is this true, and if so is condensation on the underside of the crystal (due to vapor entering the watch via the air) something to be bothered about or just accepted?

Re: Are watches airtight?

Quote Originally Posted by orian View Post
    is condensation on the underside of the crystal (due to vapor entering the watch via the air) something to be bothered about or just accepted?
    Is this a problem that you've experienced?

I suspect that condensation is because you either have a faulty seal or the watch has opened and subsequently re sealed in a rather moist atmosphere.
    I have only had condensation in a watch when a seal was not correct.
    I have dived with all my dive watches and never (apart from the faulty one) had the slightest issue. Nor have I ever had condensation at any other time.
    rfortson likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Without getting overly pedantic, a watch that is water-tight to X atms will be effectively air-tight to that same pressure.

Condensation under the crystal means there is moisture inside of the watch case. There are a few different ways for it to have gotten there.

1. Failed seals. The watches seals are no longer functioning and air and water can now enter the watch freely.

2. The watch case was opened in a humid environment, allowing humid air into the case and then this was entrapped when the watch was closed back up again. Since all watches are assembled in rooms with some amount of humidity in the air, all watches will have some amount of moisture trapped in the case and many/most watches will exhibit a little condensation under the crystal given the correct temperature conditions (generally extreme conditions like putting an ice cube on the crystal). Traveling from a hot outdoor environment into a nicely air-conditioned building is not an extreme enough case to cause condensation under the crystal, so if you're experiencing this, your watch may have a problem.

3. The seals are intact, but water got into the watch when someone manipulated the crown while submerged or forgot to make sure their crown was fully seated before submerging the watch.
    Hidef1080 and dbostedo like this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by orian View Post
    Are watches airtight?I was reading somewhere on this forum that watches are not airtight, even when they are waterproof. Is this true, and if so is condensation on the underside of the crystal (due to vapor entering the watch via the air) something to be bothered about or just accepted?

Condensation is a problem that if left unresolved could damage your watch.
    Hidef1080, nodnar and rfortson like this.

Banned

Something you may find of interest about your concern.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Ar-Dehumidifying_Technology.htm
    farmerboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MX793 View Post

Condensation under the crystal means there is moisture inside of the watch case. There are a few different ways for it to have gotten there.

1. Failed seals. The watches seals are no longer functioning and air and water can now enter the watch freely.

2. The watch case was opened in a humid environment, allowing humid air into the case and then this was entrapped when the watch was closed back up again. Since all watches are assembled in rooms with some amount of humidity in the air, all watches will have some amount of moisture trapped in the case and many/most watches will exhibit a little condensation under the crystal given the correct temperature conditions (generally extreme conditions like putting an ice cube on the crystal). Traveling from a hot outdoor environment into a nicely air-conditioned building is not an extreme enough case to cause condensation under the crystal, so if you're experiencing this, your watch may have a problem.

3. The seals are intact, but water got into the watch when someone manipulated the crown while submerged or forgot to make sure their crown was fully seated before submerging the watch.
    In all the years I’ve worn a watch I never experience this so I’d go with MX793’s explanation.

The only watch that I had with this problem was an Ingersoll, no idea where it was made , which was sold when “waterproof” was allowed in watch descriptions.

If all the gaskets, crown, crystal, and back are all in good shape it should be airtight.

Sinn tries to address your issue with this technology:

https://www.sinn.de/en/Ar-Dehumidifying_Technology.htm
    "Genius is nothing but a greater aptitude for patience." -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Dude if you open the back and let out all that fancy Swiss air yourvwatch immediately drops significantly in value, be careful

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information