Watches for Big Wrists
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Watches for Big Wrists

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watches for Big Wrists

If anyone can answer the 3 questions below, I would appreciate your input!

1. Any resources (blogs, threads, etc) regarding watch education/recommendations for men with big wrists?

2. When is a watch TOO BIG?

3. Are there any brands that focus on men with big wrists you would recommend?

Much appreciated!

Re: Watches for Big Wrists

1. Any resources (blogs, threads, etc) regarding watch education/recommendations for men with big wrists? Don't think so.

2. When is a watch TOO BIG? Anything over 46 to 48 mm generally fits into the 'silly' category.

3. Are there any brands that focus on men with big wrists you would recommend? I'd guess any in the 44 to 45 mm range, which would cover the larger models from most manufacturers. You might want to focus on the strap or bracelet as this is where you'll hit a potential size problem. Aftermarket straps are available in a wide range of sizes as are custom made ones. With a bracelet it'd be good to ask the cost of additional links to get to the size you want.

just to add to your list:

4. The average wrist size is about 6.75 to 7.25 inches in circumference

5. 90% of chaps think they have skinny wrists
    Watch_Rook likes this.

oh, and welcome to the forum!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lornegifford View Post
    1. Any resources (blogs, threads, etc) regarding watch education/recommendations for men with big wrists? Don't think so.

2. When is a watch TOO BIG? Anything over 46 to 48 mm generally fits into the 'silly' category.

3. Are there any brands that focus on men with big wrists you would recommend? I'd guess any in the 44 to 45 mm range, which would cover the larger models from most manufacturers. You might want to focus on the strap or bracelet as this is where you'll hit a potential size problem. Aftermarket straps are available in a wide range of sizes as are custom made ones. With a bracelet it'd be good to ask the cost of additional links to get to the size you want.

just to add to your list:

4. The average wrist size is about 6.75 to 7.25 inches in circumference

5. 90% of chaps think they have skinny wrists
    Now I would have thought that the 'average' would be the mean, where all the wrist sizes would be added and then divided by the number of wrists. I'm not a mathematician but I didn't think 'average' was expressed in a range, so what you're saying then is the 'average' wrist is 7". Is that an empirical value or your guess? Do 90% of men really think they have skinny wrists?

Also I think watches "...over 46 to 48 mm..." are no more silly than middle aged men in high end sports cars, sweaters tied over their shoulders, young blonde wives, second litter of children etc. In other words defining something as silly is really just a personal expression and has no real bearing in the real world.
    Watch_Rook likes this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Rook View Post

1. Any resources (blogs, threads, etc) regarding watch education/recommendations for men with big wrists?

Much appreciated!
    -1. Let's start by defining your wrist size and figuring out what "big" actually means to you? Typically anything over 7.5" is considered large and anything over about 8"-8.25" you'll require special consideration with straps/bracelets to get something that fits (A few things don't fit already at 8" but typically watches intended to be for smaller customers/unisex.) It can be helpful to get a width measurement as well as a circumference as there is such a thing as wide/flat wrists vs. rounder wrists at every circumference.

0. I have 8", ~63-65mm wide wrists, so I have some concept of all of these problems and am still (barely) in the 95th percentile of wrist sizes, but with the caveat that I'm still in the range where most everything still fits "out of the box." I have great sympathy for needing special accommodation, but by the same token people with smaller wrists often find straps and bracelets to be too long. I just don't *typically* have to deal with it when buying new.

1a. You're not abnormal and the general purpose blogs, forums, resources, etc. should cover reasonable ranges of sizes. Some stuff won't be for you, but you'll have options. By the same token someone with a 6" wrist might get annoyed when the reviewers heap praise on a 44mm watch, but it is what it is.

1b. However, there's a contingent of reviewers who typically have smaller wrists, young hipster-style millenial tendencies towards vintage and consciously or subconsciously carry that bias into their reviews. I get stabby when a reviewer says a watch is a "great size" without saying that it's a "great size" *for them.*

2a. By the most agreed-upon definition, a watch is too big when it overhangs the sides of your wrist, making the strap go straight down or worse-- curve inward. I'll say this-- if you have an 8" wrist, this will almost certainly not be a problem for you. I'm well past the 55mm size class before I get lug overhang.

2b. Part of it is going to be your comfort level. The big/small preference is relative to your wrist size and your overall body size/frame. My typical range is 40-45mm and I'm wearing 40mm today which is on the edge of my comfort zone. 40mm on me has the same relative size that something like a 36mm would have on a person with smaller wrists. I have no desire to go much smaller but some folks here consider 40mm to be large. If you prefer "relatively large" at say 8", you can pull off 48-50mm, which is a pretty big watch. If you have a 9" wrist, which is large on the outlier side, you probably don't want to go much smaller than 43-45mm. It's all relative to you.

2c. You can get a general idea from raw dimensions but remember that some watches have characteristics that make them "wear larger" or "wear smaller."

3. There are a ton of brands that offer watches in enough of a range of sizes to have something for you, so you'll have to narrow down what style and price you're looking for. There are a few brands that skew large, but some of them also skew a little bit... 'look at me' for younger buyers. For happy-medium brands that aren't too showy or too stodgy, I'd have a look at stuff from Victorinox, Alpina and Oris who all have plenty of options in the 43-45mm range. In the luxury market, some brands still skew smaller, but Breitling, Panerai, etc. will have choices if those are your thing.

Good luck!
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

I think you are on the wrong forum to ask about big watches. Every watch on WUS is too big. In my opinion, you are asking an extreme minority what the majority of people think. Unless you want to end up wearing a ladies watch, I suggest you ask a normal friend what they think.
    timefleas, OvrSteer and Watch_Rook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee1 View Post
    Now I would have thought that the 'average' would be the mean, where all the wrist sizes would be added and then divided by the number of wrists. I'm not a mathematician but I didn't think 'average' was expressed in a range, so what you're saying then is the 'average' wrist is 7". Is that an empirical value or your guess? Do 90% of men really think they have skinny wrists?

Also I think watches "...over 46 to 48 mm..." are no more silly than middle aged men in high end sports cars, sweaters tied over their shoulders, young blonde wives, second litter of children etc. In other words defining something as silly is really just a personal expression and has no real bearing in the real world.
    Yes, but I tried not to be too pedantic about things and allowed an error margin, hence an average (or mean if you like) of 6.75 to 7.25 inches. I'm an engineer, which means I'm also a mathematician but have a degree of understanding that not many things in this world are really exact. I also build watches so have some experience with typical male wrist sizes.

Again with the watch size, then the general perception is that once you move above a 45 mm diameter you're also moving into silly territory.

Agree on middle aged men in high end sports cars but would add the caveat that it only applies if the sports car is mid engined or red. Middle aged men in a rear engined sports car (say a 911) or front engined (say an Aston) dark blue sports car are perfectly acceptable in my middle-aged man mind.

I'll hold comment on sweater over the shoulders etc as it's moving outside the realm in which I feel qualified to provide an opinion. : - )

Welcdome to Watchuseek!
    None that come to mind. Watch size is a popular topic so the best way to get a sense for who makes larger watches would be to start reading and participating in the Public, Affordable and Dive Watches forums for starters. Dive watches tend to be big and bigger so that might be a good place to start.
    The watch is too big when it looks too big and feels uncomfortable on your wrist. There is no single rule that works for everyone.

See my response above. It's time to have some fun and do a little reading and research.

Wear what you want. Although you may need a longer strap!
    Watch_Rook likes this.
    If I fail to reply to your inane post just assume you are on the ignore list.

I bought a knackered clock.... https://carlsclock.blogspot.com/ Updated 29/4/19

Welcome to the forum. I would say look at Panerai. They have several watches over 45mm.
    Watch_Rook likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information