Watches with compasses, opinions and examples?

Thread: Watches with compasses, opinions and examples?

Watches with compasses, opinions and examples?

What experience do you have with sutch watches, and what kind do you prefer? Thanks.

Re: Watches with compasses, opinions and examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Fossdal View Post
    What experience do you have with sutch watches, and what kind do you prefer? Thanks.
    The most common watches with actual compasses in them are multifunction digital watces, aka "ABC watch" (altimeter/barometer/compass), best known manufactures being Casio and Suunto, they work fine. A handful of analog (quartz and auto) have compass bezels on them, but no actual compass.......seiko makes a handful of these, SKZ211, SKZ209, SKZ217, SNZE99 and some others. Some say it's meaningless and useless to have just compass bezel, but you can use any watch in conjunction with the sun, as a compass. There are some watches that have built-in compasses integrated in the dial, but are pretty obscure.

Some examples of the popular digital ABC watches are Suunto Vector, Suunto Observer, Suunto Core, Casio Pathfinder , Riseman, Protrech. I personally prefer the style of the Suuntos, but the Casios are just as good, some are probably better made.
    Last edited by bigvatch; March 17th, 2011 at 03:10.

Thank you for informal reply! Any thoughts about the Tissot T-touch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

An alternative to a watch with a built in compass is a GMT watch. The GMT hand can be used as a solar compass in addition to tracking a second timezone, or in the case of a watch with a rotating 24 hour bezel, a third timezone.

With the GMT hand set to GMT time, when the hour hand is pointed at the sun in the northern hemisphere the GMT hand points north. In the southern hemisphere when the hour hand is pointed at the sun, the GMT hand points south.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossdal View Post
    Thank you for informal reply! Any thoughts about the Tissot T-touch?
    No problem. I never owned a T-touch, contemplated one but never pulled the trigger, I'm sort of a Suunto junky. I think the T-touch offerings have some nice slick features , screen touch and analog display, and the basic functions seem to be extremely easy to access, and metal casing make it a nicer alternative for someone that may want a combination everyday watch at 2-3x the price of most other ABC watches. IMO they all do roughly the same things,

Here's a nice little review of basic functions of the T-touch
    YouTube - Tissot T-Touch Review

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    The most common watches with actual compasses in them are multifunction digital watces, aka "ABC watch" (altimeter/barometer/compass), best known manufactures being Casio and Suunto, they work fine. A handful of analog (quartz and auto) have compass bezels on them, but no actual compass.......seiko makes a handful of these, SKZ211, SKZ209, SKZ217, SNZE99 and some others. Some say it's meaningless and useless to have just compass bezel, but you can use any watch in conjunction with the sun, as a compass. There are some watches that have built-in compasses integrated in the dial, but are pretty obscure.

Some examples of the popular digital ABC watches are Suunto Vector, Suunto Observer, Suunto Core, Casio Pathfinder , Riseman, Protrech. I personally prefer the style of the Suuntos, but the Casios are just as good, some are probably better made.
    I'm not trying to split hairs, but I believe the Riseman is an AB watch and lacks the C. (Altimeter and Barometer, but not a Compass.)
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    I'm not trying to split hairs, but I believe the Riseman is an AB watch and lacks the C. (Altimeter and Barometer, but not a Compass.)
    You could be right,, I've used a Protrek and Pathfinders compass before, but not on a Riseman...cool watch though, my bro has one with the squirrel on the back.

Thread Information