Which watches did you have before WUS?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Which watches did you have before WUS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It seems that before finding WUS most of us had just one or two watches by gift, inheritance or purchase. Often curiosity in some form or another about them lead us here. Then go crazy purchasing and flipping and purchasing...

Seems I have done the opposite. I suppose I became a WIS before I found WUS if you know what I mean! Since my *ahem* enlightenment(?) I have made only really made two serious purchases: a Seiko SNK795 and a Hamilton Khaki King. I also had my dads Caravelle automatic serviced.

I poked around a bit and didn't see much on the subject but figured I'd share with you all, pictorially, some of my pre-WUS history.

If you feel moved to do so, please take this as an invitation to share with us some of those early acquisitions tucked away in the "no-longer-worn" drawer and maybe a couple of words about them and why you still have them.

I had one of these when I was in grade school and happened upon it on the 'bay one day

This is what I wore in jr. high & high school. It just up and disappeared one day and re-appeared a few years later on a buddies wrist when he came home on a Christmas break... He said he found it, thanked me for letting him use it and gave it back! I have acquired a few copies in a few of the colors Timex made since...

I went without a watch for a good long time until I received a Timex ana-dig on a bracelet as a gift. I hated it and returned it opting for the blue and brown one in the picture...

My mom gave me my dads Caravelle watch when he passed. He used to wear it for every occasion from weddings to yard work(hence it being a little worn) until she bought him a quartz Relic. It sat in a drawer until I got it and then again until I brought it to be serviced. The service cost more than the watch did new but it holds sentimental value, obviously. I try to wear it on important dates from his life. This is it today:

A few others in between but years later, this is the last watch I bought before the bug bit me ...

It came on a bracelet but I wore it on this blue leather...

I saw this Kenneth Cole a retail store and loved the contrast of the brown and pink gold and had to have it. It was under $100. I returned it before wearing it to purchase the diver style Bulova that follows only to find and purchase it again later and much cheaper on the 'bay.

I really like the pink gold against rubber, the skeletonization and the square texture on the dial that matches the texture of the strap. I had to have it!

This one here is important as it is the last quartz watch that I "had" to have. I have yet to find any information on the particular model.

I bought my "Wilson" on clearance at Kmart as a beater, decided that I didn't like the bracelet and bought a suitable Timex rubber strap (that happened to have a watch attached) for it. Then later went back to the bracelet.

I am sure you are getting a bit bored with my prattling on so here is all of my pre-WUS watches gathered together in approximate order of acquisition.

If you've hung in there this far then please let me again invite you to share with us your pre-WUS choices and maybe a couple of words about them and why you still have them.

Thanks for listening!

Re: Which watches did you have before WUS?

I had affordable vintages. Then sold them (except inherited ones) and gathered funds for my dream trio:

- Sinn U2
    - Zenith 36'000 VpH
    - Nomos Orion
    SteveTomatoes likes this.
    Cheers, M

"Both feet on the floor, two hands on the wheel, may the wind take your troubles away."

- Son Volt -

Before I found WUS I enjoyed watches, but didn't know much about them. As a young child I had a series of digital timexes and quartz analogs, I found a cheap Vostok on eBay at 18, it was my first automatic watch . A couple years later I found WUS when looking for a new automatic after the plating on the Vostok rubbed off and turned my wrist green and bought a monster on the advice of the members here. It served me well (and still does) for the last four years, and now that I can afford to pursue the hobby due to not being a student, I'm back!
    My Watches: Seiko Orange Monster, Orient cex0r001w, Prometheus Baiji, '84 Seiko 6309-7040, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical Field Officer's 44mm, Hamilton Pan Europ Silver, Longines Hydroconquest 41mm Blue, WUS Russian Forum Vostok 5/6 Commemorative Amphibia, Sterile 6497 Flieger, 1958 Vostok Kama, Vintage Orient King Diver, Vostok Zissou Ministry, Raven Deep Tech Vintage Blue, Rado Diastar Original Diver Blue, Helson Gauge Steel 5-60 dial
    Preordered- Helberg CH6
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door.You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a G-Shock and a Nautica my wife gave me while we were dating.

Attachment 979970 Attachment 979972

Several Casio,followed by Gshock,Armani,Tag,Rolex,Pam
    This is my (last) pre-WIS watch:

My Seiko Kinetic 2 tone, got on my 12th birthday (I'm 20 now) I picked it myself (at that time I wanted a 2 tone roman numerals watch) : Attachment 980032

And an Ice watch "big" that I wear during the summer with short - t-shirt : Attachment 980026

At the time I got the Seiko for my B-day there was a watch I came across when I went shopping for the watch with my dad but I had to wait a 2 week + delay to have the watch so I declined (remind you I was fairly young :p) and it had a black face and since then I've always wondered having a classic black faced watch, and in January 2013 I have one now :p

Banned

Omega Constellation f300, Longines Conquest VHP, JLC Master moon, Laco B-uhr ( 1944), plus a few simple vintages.

A long time ago, my very first watch, a gift from my father when I was 10, was Poljot. Later on, my purchases were based on look and feel only factors (Tissot & TAG Heuer). Only recently I started "building" my collection with some more serious watches but the "real" thing will happen over time (PP, AP, VC etc.).
    Current collection:
    IWC Schaffhausen Portuguese Chronograph IW371446 (2014)
    Sinn 103 St Classic Flieger (2014)
    Seiko
    SARB 035 (2013)
    Sinn 556A (2013)
    Breitling Superocean Heritage 46 SS Blue (2013)
    Magrette Regattare Automatic (2012)
    Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN (2011)
    TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Racing Chronograph (2009)

Wore this watch everyday for about 14 years in a row. Bought it when I was 17. Changed batteries about five or six times. Until recently I began reading up on watches, and all of a sudden this very loyal friend wasn't good enough any more. Now it's just a cheap old quartz, throwing accusatory glances at me and my new Hamilton from its place in the cupboard.

Attachment 980074

Quote Originally Posted by Zarath View Post
    Wore this watch everyday for about 14 years in a row. Bought it when I was 17. Changed batteries about five or six times. Until recently I began reading up on watches, and all of a sudden this very loyal friend wasn't good enough any more. Now it's just a cheap old quartz, throwing accusatory glances at me and my new Hamilton from its place in the cupboard.

Attachment 980074
    A Lorus chronograph! Is it functional! I have to admit, in a weird way, that's cool!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

"Digital clocks rob me of all the emotional experience of the spatial relationships on the face of the clock!"
    - George Carlin

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information