Watches i can't afford and don't really want.

Thread: Watches i can't afford and don't really want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Watches i can't afford and don't really want.

I was flicking through an issue wristwatch annual and was looking at some super expensive watches that are way out of my league in terms of affordability. As expensive and well made as they may be, they just do not do it for me. I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone thought the same. Here are few
    DeWitt - No attraction at all. Very expensive and over the top.
    Roger Dubuis- Even more costly, very blingy.
    Graham- Cheaper but I'm sorry but they look ridiculous IMHO
    Richard Mille- Super Pricey and you can't even tell the time on most of them.
    Frank Muller- For the Ladies yes- but not for me.
    Ulysse Nardin - this may be unpopular but i just don't see anything that i really like in their range.
    What do you think? Have you got any more

Re: Watches i can't afford and don't really want.

I agree with your list except for UN, although I don't like most of their watches there are some that I find interesting and wouldn't mind purchasing if I could.

To add to your list, I would put Harry Winston. I'm thinking of the Opus 9 in particular. I'm not sure of the rest of the collection though.

Quote Originally Posted by takman View Post
    I agree with your list except for UN, although I don't like most of their watches there are some that I find interesting and wouldn't mind purchasing if I could.

To add to your list, I would put Harry Winston. I'm thinking of the Opus 9 in particular. I'm not sure of the rest of the collection though.
    Just looked up Harry Winston and totally agree. Congratulations on the Games- Loved the Ice Hockey.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Be careful of selling a whole brand down the river over a handful of models you've seen. A very similar thread is in the High End Watch Forum right now, and Roger Dubuis came up there as well. I will admit that some of the Golden Square and Easy Diver designs leave me curious about the creator's state of inebriation, but this one from the 90's is a masterpiece:

There were less than 30 made (28 I believe). If one came available I'd flip quite a few pieces to buy it.

I'm in the same boat. If I really liked dress watches, I'm sure there would be quite a few high end brands with models I'd drool over. However, the pieces that speak to me the most are divers and military watches. The only expensive (to me) brand that I would consider buying is Breitling. For some reason, I wet myself a little when I see their divers
    We are how we treat each other and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    I was flicking through an issue wristwatch annual and was looking at some super expensive watches that are way out of my league in terms of affordability. As expensive and well made as they may be, they just do not do it for me. I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone thought the same. Here are few
    DeWitt - No attraction at all. Very expensive and over the top.
    Roger Dubuis- Even more costly, very blingy.
    Graham- Cheaper but I'm sorry but they look ridiculous IMHO
    Richard Mille- Super Pricey and you can't even tell the time on most of them.
    Frank Muller- For the Ladies yes- but not for me.
    Ulysse Nardin - this may be unpopular but i just don't see anything that i really like in their range.
    What do you think? Have you got any more
    I sometimes go to my local Barnes & Noble and leaf through any new watch magazines and gawp at the watches portrayed. I agree that hardly any of them, no matter how expensive, do anything for me.

I prefer simple, understated designs and only black dials. So all the skeletons and transparent dials and tourbillons are just so much interesting intricacy.... they make me wonder how on earth some of those little tiny parts are made.

When one looks at the price of some of those creatures, I can only rejoice that I don't like them!

(In case that might sound like sour grapes, I only buy super-accurate quartz or SD anyway, so my interest is entirely academic).

there are many high end brands that create less than appealing ultra expensive pieces, however if you sift thru the rubbish you will sometimes find a gem. just found this out on the high end forum about chopard and i'm certain the same rule exists for other brands.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Yes, sometimes I wonder why on earth people make some ugly design in hi-end tiers as if teasing public on purpose. Probably - that is their way to show their independance from common market and tastes, they can afford to make experiments, I don't know. But may be it is simple lack of taste, worn out ideas and just bad design.

But what is bad design... Look at WRUW photos. People here love very different watch designs, some of them seem ugly for me but that does not mean (I reckon) that it is ugly indeed.
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

lvt

I hate all watches that I can't afford
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

I'm kind of like LVT - if I can't reasonally see myself owning or wearing a watch I tend to find it disinteresting at the best. That 'limit' seems to be about $10 000, maybe $15 000. Sort of the "I can't see myself spending more than this, ever, even if I won the lottery" limit.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information