Watches looking clearer when photographed as opposed to the naked eye
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Watches looking clearer when photographed as opposed to the naked eye

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Watches looking clearer when photographed as opposed to the naked eye

I've noticed that when I take a photo of a watch (and I'm just using an iPhone XS Max) there are details which are clearer than viewing the watch with my eyes. The details on the screen, any writing of numbers, the features on the face - all become clearer.

Does this mean that the camera is better than my own eyes. I'll admit to being 52 and a little short sided.
    brandon\ likes this.

Re: Watches looking clearer when photographed as opposed to the naked eye

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
    Does this mean that the camera is better than my own eyes.
    Not exactly, unless you have some significant vision problems, your eyes are "capturing" images with higher resolution and dynamic range. It's no contest. When you take a photo with your phone, and then look at it either on the phone screen or computer screen, you are seeing the details better because they are larger - think of it like a magnifying glass. But, it's not that simple, your brain is also constantly doing adaptive processing - so even though the visual data is present, your brain is filtering some of that information out, so you won't "see" certain details. If you look at your watch close enough (or use a magnification device) and long enough (to give yourself time to focus/concentrate on the object) you will be able to see all of the same details, and then some.
    Vlance and drw2 like this.

Why would it be any clearer if you are then looking the picture with your own eyes? Makes no sense. Maybe your brain has a problem perceiving 3D input from your eyes abd so the 2D picture looks better?

That happens to me all the time, and it's a combination of having over age 50 eyes that don't resolve detail up close as well (even with 1.5x or 1.75x readers) and viewing an image that's greater than lifesize, similar to if I viewed the object under mild magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by timelux View Post
    Not exactly, unless you have some significant vision problems, your eyes are "capturing" images with higher resolution and dynamic range. It's no contest. When you take a photo with your phone, and then look at it either on the phone screen or computer screen, you are seeing the details better because they are larger - think of it like a magnifying glass. But, it's not that simple, your brain is also constantly doing adaptive processing - so even though the visual data is present, your brain is filtering some of that information out, so you won't "see" certain details. If you look at your watch close enough (or use a magnification device) and long enough (to give yourself time to focus/concentrate on the object) you will be able to see all of the same details, and then some.
    I think you're right and it's just a matter of magnification. I'm forever using the magnify funtion on my phone also to read fine print or numbers etched onto the back of my watch that I couldn't normally resolve.

Actually, I find just the opposite when photographing for a sale piece. The camera seems to capture all of the little lines and flea bites that are barely noticeable with the eye and seems to magnify them and makes the piece look worse than it actually is.

Conversely, the camera can also make a clean watch look that much better.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi.

Current watches:
    Archimedes 39mm Destro
    G-Shock

Lighting matters a lot too.
    Nokie and drw2 like this.

[QUOTE]Lighting matters a lot too./QUOTE]

Yup.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Have you seen the size of the average watch photo compared to real life? The magnificationthat you invariably achieve in such photos is a big factor.

Ooh, what side are you short on.....Mine's the right side, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
    I've noticed that when I take a photo of a watch (and I'm just using an iPhone XS Max) there are details which are clearer than viewing the watch with my eyes. The details on the screen, any writing of numbers, the features on the face - all become clearer.

Does this mean that the camera is better than my own eyes. I'll admit to being 52 and a little short sided.
    Lee Rappeport

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________

PREVIOUSLY OWNED

Glycine Vacuum, Glycine Observer (2), Glycine Power reserve DLC, Rolex sub no date(1967), Rolex sub Chronometer movement, Bulova Accutron RR edition,
    Seiko Orange monster, IWC 38mm Pilot, Chronoswiss Kairos SS, Steinhart O1V, Oris BC3, Oris triple complication, Tissot Sea Star, MK II Seafighter, Seiko SNKF11, Steinhart Ocean 44, Steinhart Ocean Black GMT, Seiko SRP 777 TURTLE, Seiko SUN045 50th Anniversary Kinetic.

CURRENTLY OWN

Hamilton Barton (circa 1951), Seiko SBBN035 TUNA, and a $5.00 quartz watch.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information