Are watches from online shops that are "discounted" legit?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Are watches from online shops that are "discounted" legit?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Are watches from online shops that are "discounted" legit?

Newbie here just getting my feet wet with watch collecting as a hobby. Due to my Ducati, Nikon, cigars, scotch, and classic VW interests this isn't going to be a full-on deep dive into collecting but watches have always been a careful consideration for me when purchasing ...plus I'm not wealthy by any means, I just shop carefully...most of the time I plan on doing some of my own work (the simple stuff like battery & strap changes for now) as I'm very mechanically inclined -- if you own a classic VW it comes with the territory, LOL

My question: I've seen some on-line sites that sell watches and some claim pretty decent sale prices vs. manufacturer's suggested price. A good example is World of Watches. I'm intrigued but cautious. Are these legit prices or are they simply stating what the going price actually is?
    Toby
    Citizen Promaster Aqualand 30 Years Limited Edition; Orient Trident Air Diver; Orient Sun & Moon III; Aevum Advance; VOSTOK Komandirskie K-34 (GMT 470612); Seiko SKX009J; Phoibos Ocean Master auto; Bulova Precisionist 98B228 "My Pimp Watch"; TAG Heuer Carerra Chrono; DucatiMeccanica (Seiko mvmt VD54B); Invicta Chronograph model 14875 (beater);
    A couple air-cooled VWs and Ducatis, too.

Re: Are watches from online shops that are "discounted" legit?

Yes. The Gray Market dealers and authorized discount dealers sell legit stuff. You'll miss out on a warranty with the gray market, but I don't know how the new WoW is currently (they just went through a change of ownership.)

Keep in mind that some MSRPs are extremely fanciful prices you'll never pay and the profit margin for an authorized dealer can be very high-- giving the AD negotiating room, but if they have to dump a watch on to the gray market for just over their cost, you'll see just how high the markup can sometimes be.

Welcome!
    rfortson and brooklynfanatic like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

A well known grey market dealer is Ashford. Most of the brands have their dealer warranty, not the original brand warranty. However! Interestingly in their shop Rado has the brand warranty and I think Zenith as well!

Bought this beauty for around $1000 at black friday 2 years ago at Ashford. Incredibly nicely made for the price:

rfortson and TJ Boogie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Oh geez, I wasn't aware that such watches would be grey market! I'm familiar with that about cameras but didn't even consider it for such places. So that leads to another question, how does one know if a watch is being sold grey market or not?
    Toby
    Citizen Promaster Aqualand 30 Years Limited Edition; Orient Trident Air Diver; Orient Sun & Moon III; Aevum Advance; VOSTOK Komandirskie K-34 (GMT 470612); Seiko SKX009J; Phoibos Ocean Master auto; Bulova Precisionist 98B228 "My Pimp Watch"; TAG Heuer Carerra Chrono; DucatiMeccanica (Seiko mvmt VD54B); Invicta Chronograph model 14875 (beater);
    A couple air-cooled VWs and Ducatis, too.

Easiest way is to go to the brand’s website and search for an authorized retailer. Anywhere else will be grey. It makes a lot of sense with many brands to buy from these grey dealers because the cost savings is so high, I’ve done it numerous times and never been burned (knock on wood)

mav

I got burned once. I brought an Omega Seamaster from a big grey market seller back in 2005 that turned out to be a fake. I posted my experience on TZ, and a few months later, I received a letter from their lawyer threatening to sue and demanding that I delete my post.

I’ll only consider buying from the grey market, IF the seller can provide the warranty card. In my experience, I’ve received just as good if not better deals at local AD’s, where I have an established relationship with, so there’s no reason for me to go grey.
    ♛ Rolex | Ω Omega | IWC | Zenith | Tudor | Seiko
    @aguynamedtommy

Quote Originally Posted by MrDagon007 View Post
    A well known grey market dealer is Ashford. Most of the brands have their dealer warranty, not the original brand warranty. However! Interestingly in their shop Rado has the brand warranty and I think Zenith as well!

Bought this beauty for around $1000 at black friday 2 years ago at Ashford. Incredibly nicely made for the price:

Nice watch and cool shirt too, by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is definitely not a black and white yes/no answer. Always do research on the company that you’re buying from before making a purchase to be sure that they’re legit. Often times the answer is yes, but you can get burned if you’re not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango Alpha View Post
    Nice watch and cool shirt too, by the way!

Thanks. Shirt was made to measure, a perk of living in Hong Kong in that this bespoke service is affordable.
    And, the cufflinks are actually Rado as well and match the watch well. With black ceramic inlay like the rado bezel and center links.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDagon007 View Post
    Thanks. Shirt was made to measure, a perk of living in Hong Kong in that this bespoke service is affordable.
    And, the cufflinks are actually Rado as well and match the watch well. With black ceramic inlay like the rado bezel and center links.
    We apparently have the same initials as well. Sent you a message.

The cuff links do look very nice and compliment the watch and shirt perfectly. But what can I say...us TA’s have exquisite taste.

MrDagon007 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information