watches with repeaters and the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie

Thread: watches with repeaters and the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie

SOG

Confused watches with repeaters and the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie

Hi guys,

I am actually looking to get a watch with Alarm, or repeaters (are they the same kinds of complication?)

and I found alot of them are really expensive, but then I came across with Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie,
    and saw one second hand for under 2k (but the seller had withdraw for some reasons, I will try to contact him again
    later and see about the condition.

I tried to find information about this watch, but can't seems to find much about it, I cannot even find what the
    alarm sounds like, does anyone have the information or experiences with this watch? Maybe maintenance would be
    very high as it have two barrels? Is there something I should know before buying it?

By the way, other than the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie, is there other mechanical watch with GMT + alarm or repeater, that will cost less than 3k (or maybe up to 5k?)
    Are there many different alarm sounds that would ... make the price different? Very new to watches with Alarm complications, thanks.
    Last edited by SOG; September 1st, 2012 at 19:03. Reason: just adding it to my E-mail notification when there's reply.

Re: watches with repeaters and the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie

Maybe something in quartz or from China.

SOG

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Maybe something in quartz or from China.
    um... I know some of them are over 10K, but then why the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie sell for 4-6k msrp ?
    I tried to find information about it, but there aren't alot of information around ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Repeater and alarm, not the same thing.

An alarm ring at a preset time until it spring is unwound. A repeater ring the exact time on the push of a button, with usually 2 or 3 different tone.

A mechanical repeater under 5k$, forget it. Maybe some old pocket watches repeater under 10k$. Sea-gull was suppose to make one, but even those would be around 10-20K$ if I remember right.

A mech. alarm. Shouldn't be a problem. Vulcain could be found around 3.5K$ new, some vintage JLC Memovox for less than 2K$. New Russian are 200-500$, vintage Seiko around 200-250$ and there's some Chinese for 100$. Don't know about GMT though.

Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    I am actually looking to get a watch with Alarm, or repeaters (are they the same kinds of complication?)

and I found alot of them are really expensive, but then I came across with Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie,
    and saw one second hand for under 2k (but the seller had withdraw for some reasons, I will try to contact him again
    later and see about the condition.
    The Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie is not a repeater, it's just a mechanical alarm watch. A repeater chimes out the current time upon demand, and the prefix, such as minute, quarter, hour, denotes the accuracy to which the repeater chimes out the time. A Grande Sonnerie is a repeater which also chimes every quarter hour, and the petite sonnerie chimes the hours and quarter hours, but without the repeater function.
    Last edited by mleok; September 2nd, 2012 at 07:55.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

SOG

I see, thanks to help me clear out the repeater, alarm function...
    Now I see why a repeater is so much more expensive... so it tell the time on demand! That is
    very interesting ! and also a piece of art! No idea how they make that happen, but I think that
    must be one of the oldest programming !

But Does anyone have information on the Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie? I couldn't seem to find much information about it.
    Can't even find what the alarm sounds like, it's so strange.

The watch you're considering uses an Adolf Schild AS 5008 calibre design that is made by Jacquet (now La Joux-Perret).

This video shows a watch with the same movement. The top crown is to set and wind the main movement, and the bottom crown is to set and wind the alarm. The alarm has a buzzing sound.

Last edited by mleok; September 2nd, 2012 at 08:22.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

If you're just looking for an affordable mechanical alarm watch, then search eBay for a Poljot mechanical alarm watch, which is a Russian made watch that will cost about $200 or less preowned.

Look also at watchrecon.com. The Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie you're interested in is being sold on TZ for $1200.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=0#msg_6269775
    Last edited by mleok; September 2nd, 2012 at 08:41.

SOG

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    If you're just looking for an affordable mechanical alarm watch, then search eBay for a Poljot mechanical alarm watch, which is a Russian made watch that will cost about $200 or less preowned.

Look also at watchrecon.com. The Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie you're interested in is being sold on TZ for $1200.

TimeZone : Sales Corner » FSOT Dubey & Schaldenbrand Sonnerie GMT Alarm Automatic Watch

Thanks! Can't believe it's selling for 1,200 ?? but the one I saw is with Bracelet and with blue dials, but i don't think it
    should make that 900 difference,.. um... can't see the video yet as I am in China, they blocked You tube and facebook...
    will check it later today when I am back in Hong Kong... but if it's a buzzing sound, it might not be what I wanted.

Thread Information