Watches without seconds hands, yay or nay
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Watches without seconds hands, yay or nay

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Based in South east asia, travelling between

Confused Watches without seconds hands, yay or nay

Hi Guys, I'm considering a real dress watch for daily wear but the current model in my mind is a perpetual calendar without seconds hands.

Attachment 974719
    (pic from net)

I'm quite apprehensive about the lack of a seconds hands or power reserve. I wouldn't know if the watch is ticking until I bring it close to my ear or see the back. Also I won't know if it was time for servicing since I don't have a timegraph and won't be able to measure the accuracy with the atomic clock. Another downside is that I won't be able to admire the sweeping seconds hands that I've come to enjoy with mechanical watches. The watch will seem "dead" when I look at it.

On the other hand, it helps me kick the habit of OCD about the watch ticking or not, accurate or not, and forces me to let it be. Further more it's a perpetual calendar so the theory is to set and forget, it should always have accurate time and date until 2100 (or the next service due).

Since this is my first watch without a seconds hand that I'm considering, I'd like to ask all you gentlemen and women, who actually LOVE the lack of seconds complication in a mechanical or auto watch. Please tell me why, what are the pros and cons, your experiences, anything you can share will be much appreciated.

Also, comments and thoughts about this particular model (patek 5140) is welcome. I'm posting this in the public forum instead of the high end forum because I'd like to know about the no seconds complication in general for all watch experiences, and not limited to high end dress watches.

Re: Watches without seconds hands, yay or nay

I have one. I find myself checking every few minutes to make sure the minute hand moved. Then again, that's a mechanical, maybe with a quartz two-hand I wouldn't be so paranoid.
    All Stainless, (almost) All The Time

TEAM SWITZERLAND: TAG Heuer Aquaracer WAF1113.BA0801, Rolex Oysterdate 6694, ESQ Filmore 07300964

TEAM JAPAN: Seiko SKX007K2, Seiko SBDC003, Seiko SGF204, Casio Edifice EF-503, Casio G-Shock DW5600E, Casio G-Shock AWGM100B, Casio G-Shock GW6900

TEAM GERMANY: Laco Valencia, Graf Zeppelin 7686-2

TEAM CHINA: sterile Radiomir, MM Luminor

Most of time is nay from me. But I'll accept JLC Reverso 1931. And this PP too.
    drhr and MZhammer like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    I have one. I find myself checking every few minutes to make sure the minute hand moved. Then again, that's a mechanical, maybe with a quartz two-hand I wouldn't be so paranoid.
    Haha thats exactly what I'm talking about!

hi crunchy. my thoughts are when purchasing a watch like this, horological exactitude becomes less of a deal breaker.
    i mean it's just one of those ultimate watches!
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    hi crunchy. my thoughts are when purchasing a watch like this, horological exactitude becomes less of a deal breaker.
    i mean it's just one of those ultimate watches!
    And I'd suggest just the opposite: That when considering a purchase like this (regardless of your means) it should be absolutely perfect. It sounds to me like a watch without a second hand is not perfect for you.

It wasn't for me with a recent dress watch that I turned over in roughly 2 months for exactly the lack of second hand.
    Nishant likes this.

I don't really care about second hands. Then again I am not worried about to the minute accuracy or the beauty of a sweeping second hand. If the watch itself is beautiful (like that gorgeous Patek you posted) or if it has a see through back (so you can check the ticking of the watch) second hands hold no use for me.
    drhr likes this.

Nay, it bothers me not having a seconds hand.... probably more than it should!

Quote Originally Posted by cprrckwlf View Post
    And I'd suggest just the opposite: That when considering a purchase like this (regardless of your means) it should be absolutely perfect. It sounds to me like a watch without a second hand is not perfect for you.

It wasn't for me with a recent dress watch that I turned over in roughly 2 months for exactly the lack of second hand.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I definitely understand both points of view. I do switch between obsessive and non chalant about the timing and having to see something move on a watch. My JLC master diver compressor chrono doesnt have a seconds hand but it has this half circle blue/white indicator that moves to show that the watch is ticking, and thats fine for me.

I know the concerns of a lack of a seconds hands, I was wondering if that somehow actually creates a certain emotional or aesthetic pleasure in some people. Sort of a "zen" like feeling of simplicity or something, akin to the beauty of a one button iphone...

I've wondered if the seconds hand is so important, why are there so many awesome pieces made without them, like this one. I'm sure if they are made some people actually LOVE them for it, rather than having to TOLERATE it, as being a stunner piece in spite of.

Never gave it a second thought (no pun intended). Tend to purchase based on the overall macro look and have both with and without . . . .
    MZhammer likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information