Watchmakers Worth Supporting or Rooting For
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Watchmakers Worth Supporting or Rooting For

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Watchmakers Worth Supporting or Rooting For

Now that almost all the big-name watchmakers are housed under a few umbrella holding companies (e.g., Richemont, Swatch, LVMH), it's hard to worry about their survival. The likes of JLC, IWC, etc. are all supported by deep bankrolls (and it helps that the fashion brands like Chanel and Cartier can bring in cash to fund their development). There are still big independents, of course, like Patek and Rolex. But those guys also are very secure in their positions and are not going away anytime soon. If they were at any financial risk, I suspect that one of the conglomerates would quickly gobble them up and at least preserve the brand.

So who are the watchmakers that you guys root for? In other words, who are the little guys who you want to see do well and keep making great watches for the next 50 years? I find myself very attracted to a handful of German makers, particularly Nomos and Dornbluth, who are making spectacular watches with their own movements for prices well under the expectation for fine mechanicals from bigger name brands. I like them so much that I actually worry about their continued success -- something I've never experienced about Omega or Tag Heuer. The finishing of a Dornbluth, just based on the images I've seen (never encountered one in real life) looks exquisite, and the details on the movement are breathtaking.

Name:  tumblr_lpe53yD7wd1qhnv0vo1_500.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  dornblueth-11s.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  48.0 KB
    Verdict, rbuck82, CitizenM and 5 others like this.

Re: Watchmakers Worth Supporting or Rooting For

Likewise, I want to see Nomos & Dornbluth succeed. If I had the money & patience for the Dornbluth, I'd certainly like to buy one. Hard to resist a company that puts so much effort into such grand looking watches.
    CitizenM likes this.

Dornblüth is definitely one of my favorites. I really like the 99.1 a lot. I hope Dirk has thought long and hard about his succession plan so his company remains operational for at least another generation. I've read some interviews when he's made it clear he wants to make great watches, enjoy his work and make enough money to live comfortably - not grow the business by leaps and bounds. Hats off to anyone with the ability to do just that.

I also think RGM falls into this bucket Stateside. Their in-house movements and their guilloché dials are incredible. What an absolute wonder of a company in Pennsylvania. If Roland wants people to learn his business and continue the legacy, I'll sign up!
    Last edited by rbuck82; June 19th, 2012 at 20:52.
    fasthandssam likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 on RGM. Going to their HQ next month when I'm back in PA to see the in-laws.

Dan
    CitizenM likes this.
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

Among the little guys, I'm a big fan of Nomos.

+1 for Dornbluth and ESPECIALLY Nomos.

I'm also rooting for Bremont to succeed- despite all of the flak they get I am a huge fan! :D
    CitizenM likes this.

Stowa, for sure. But it seems like with their extensive backorder and wait time, they're doing just fine ;)

G. Gerlach from the affordable forums seems to be a bunch of guys really comitted to producing a quality, well-designed watch that honors their country history.

Seagull, despite being massive, I want to see do well on the international market.
    zingolf likes this.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Nomos and Sinn are two companies that I feel are very "honest" watch companies. Nice watches without too much nonsense. Sinn today reminds me somewhat of IWC 20 years ago.
    cheepskate likes this.
    My arms!
    My corduroy pant!

FP Journe, Kari Voutilainen, MB&F, Richard Mille, H. Moser, George Daniels

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Cybotron likes this.
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

I'm a fan of Frédérique-Constant. They make some really nice dress pieces, and in addition to their flagship brand they are the owners of Alpina, another fine brand from the past.
    LosTresGatos and Ecksdee like this.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information