Watchwinder causing a watch to run fast?

Thread: Watchwinder causing a watch to run fast?

Watchwinder causing a watch to run fast?

Hey all. I haven't posted in a while. I have just been enjoying the 2 watches I bought this summer & haven't had time online!! Next watch I get close to buying (please be a IWC) I am sure I will be back on again loads!

The issue:
    Rolex Submariner Date COSC is running +7.5 secs per day (which is outside of COSC tolerance -4 to +6)

Hypothesis:
    The sub requires 650 rotations per day (either CW or CCW).
    My Rapport watchwinder (travel edition, leather bound, glass porthole) rotates 1690 rotations first day, then 1130 each day after (half CW, then half CCW).
    The winder is rotating the watch around twice the number it needs.
    The extra winding is causing the watch to run fast.

Is my hypothesis correct or should I take my watch in for an autopsy (it is only 2 months old)?

Thanks!!

P.S The winder is not keeping my 7750 wound up as it only winds in one direction!

Re: Watchwinder causing a watch to run fast?

How does the watch perform while wearing it?

That's the next test to perform to prove or disprove my hypothesis.
    This coming Monday it will have been 15 days since I last set the watch against the atomic clock. 15 days is the period that watches submitted for COSC are tested for. Therefore, (& I suspect it will be) if it is outside of COSC variance I will know that something is wrong.

If outside of COSC I plan to wear the watch for 15 days continually (the other watches will be sad) & then observe variance. If after that it still is outside of variance I will be contacting Rolex UK at St James square!

Pete

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by barters View Post
    That's the next test to perform to prove or disprove my hypothesis.
    This coming Monday it will have been 15 days since I last set the watch against the atomic clock. 15 days is the period that watches submitted for COSC are tested for. Therefore, (& I suspect it will be) if it is outside of COSC variance I will know that something is wrong.

If outside of COSC I plan to wear the watch for 15 days continually (the other watches will be sad) & then observe variance. If after that it still is outside of variance I will be contacting Rolex UK at St James square!

Pete
    Good plan.
    Also take note what the certification papers say if you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by barters View Post
    Hypothesis:
    The sub requires 650 rotations per day (either CW or CCW).
    My Rapport watchwinder (travel edition, leather bound, glass porthole) rotates 1690 rotations first day, then 1130 each day after (half CW, then half CCW).
    The winder is rotating the watch around twice the number it needs.
    The extra winding is causing the watch to run fast.

Is my hypothesis correct or should I take my watch in for an autopsy (it is only 2 months old)?
    Your watch winder is making sure that your watch is fully wound all the time. This causes no harm to your watch as you can't overwind an automatic watch. It may be causing more wear-n-tear on the watch than what you'd see if you wore the watch normally and then didn't wind it when you weren't wearing it, but that's an old discussion regarding whether or not to use a watch winder...

However, you are not using the watch in a manner similar to how it was tested for the COSC certification, so who knows how it should run. COSC winds the watch fully every 24 hours and then leaves it in one position. If the power reserve is around 48 hours then it's running from full power to half power during those tests. Your watch on your watch winder is making sure that the watch is always at full power. It's also probably never in one position for very long.

Before having someone open up the watch to muck with the regulation, I would wear it as you normally would and see how it runs. It's very likely you'll see your watch running only a couple of seconds fast while you're wearing it. If it were me, I'd leave it at that. However, if you knew how long you'll wear it and how long you'll keep it on a winder (wear one week, winder one week for example) you could probably regulate it so it averages out. However, I really wouldn't worry about how it runs on a winder - I'd be more concerned with how it runs while I'm wearing it.

I'm going to wear it continuously for the next 15 days & observe variance.
    I think regardless of the debate whether overwinding a watch is detrimental or not I am going to buy a timer plug so that I can regulate the winder so that it winds more in line with the 650 TPD that the Rolex requires.

Annoying thing is that the Rapport watchwinder I have will not provide my Bremont 7750 movement the 800 CCW TPD it needs as it changes direction.

Thread Information