Water resistance rating and high impact

Thread: Water resistance rating and high impact

Water resistance rating and high impact

I was wondering, ever since I read that thread about water resistance, and the urban myth of large increase in pressures when moving the watch about in the water. If you would jump off of a high diving board, or fall off a surfboard at speed etc, would the increase in pressure still be minimal? In other words, can a watch rated 100m be used for such activities? I think most watches can withstand a lot more than everybody thinks, in line with the other thread I am referring to. Old dive watches were 100m rated anyway. Also, as an anecdote, I've taken my seiko sportura to 15m, I even pushed the chrono pushers underwater, no water came inside the watch.

Banned

Re: Water resistance rating and high impact

You are right, it is an urban myth.
    Even falling off an Offshore Class 1 will not increase the waterpressure on the watch.

Me too believe that most serious watchmakers are conservative in the stated rating. They build in a safety marginal.

there have been done extensive tests and calculations about this issiue. ive not seen them myself, but people here often enough mentioned them. falling into water, or swimming (eg smashing your watch onto the water suface) increases the pressure by something like 0.2 bar, which is 2 meters.

there was a review of the Panerai factory, which showed where they test their watches WR ratings. you could see on their testing documents that, for example, a 300m rated watch is tested with 37 bar, which would be 370 meters. same was for the other WR ratings.
    its common with mechanical parts that they are overengineered and overtested.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know anyone that actually "dives" underwater, although I'm sure there are a few.

But why are there so many "divers" watches? How many actually go underwater?

Banned

Not many get used while diving.

I think it is the chunky design and large size that attract buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by sawyer_karlita View Post
    I was wondering, ever since I read that thread about water resistance, and the urban myth of large increase in pressures when moving the watch about in the water. If you would jump off of a high diving board, or fall off a surfboard at speed etc, would the increase in pressure still be minimal? In other words, can a watch rated 100m be used for such activities? I think most watches can withstand a lot more than everybody thinks, in line with the other thread I am referring to. Old dive watches were 100m rated anyway. Also, as an anecdote, I've taken my seiko sportura to 15m, I even pushed the chrono pushers underwater, no water came inside the watch.
    I would not worry about water damage to a watch rated for 100m (300 feet). The increase in pressure from surfing, water skiinig, diving into water is minimal. The greatest risk to the watch comes when diving and few of us get anywhere close to 100m. A separate risk comes from wearing a watch while surfing, water skiiing, diving, etc. There you can catch catch it on something and break the watch or a wrist if the watch doesn't disassemble.
    Last edited by John MS; September 27th, 2010 at 16:07.

Or something catching on the crown on a non screw down crown or on a screw down crown forgetting to screw it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Senignol View Post
    I don't know anyone that actually "dives" underwater, although I'm sure there are a few.

But why are there so many "divers" watches? How many actually go underwater?
    For all the same reasons that you see so many SUV's parked in the lot of the local grocery store.
    Mechanical Collection:
    A. Lange & Sohne Lange 1
    Glashutte Original Senator Moonphase
    Jeager-LeCoultre Master Hometime
    Rolex Datejust II
    Rolex Sub-C
    Omega DeVille Coaxial Chronoscope
    Ball Hydrocarbon Trieste
    Fortis IQ
    Digital Collection:
    Cathode Corner Nixie Watch
    Bulova Precisionist Claremont