Are we connected to our watches? Do we identify ourselves by our watches?

Thread: Are we connected to our watches? Do we identify ourselves by our watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are we connected to our watches? Do we identify ourselves by our watches?

Recently, I sold off all of my watches.

I then started up a small solar/atomic G-Shock collection.

I immediately became obsessed with the concept of these watches because of Casio's claim to accuracy (atomic signal) and long lasting battery (rechargeable solar cells). I also became obsessed with making sure that these watches received the time signal every night at one minute past midnight. I spent hours locating spots around the house where these watches were to be left so that they could acquire the time synchronization signal from Fort Collins, Colorado. Therein lies the problem. You see, I must have my one watch on 24/7. Atomic watches, Casio G-Shocks, at least, must be placed on a stable surface and not moved so that they can get the signal. So, my way around this was to take the watch off just before midnight and let it, and or watch it, synchronize. If it wouldn't "synch" on its own, I would conduct a manual "synch". Then, I'd strap it back onto my wrist and go to bed. This crazy system caused me to stay up way past my bed time. on a regular basis.

Finally, I had enough of that nonsense and sold-off all of my solar-atomics and ordered myself an SKX171
    (stock picture)
    and a Stella super jubilee with generic clasp (I really don't need the Seiko clasp).

The Seiko is scheduled to arrive soon, and so is the bracelet. So, in the meantime, I'm wearing an old Seiko auto dress watch
    that I bought for my late stepfather back in the early 90's. It's too small for my taste, but I like it nonetheless. I love the dial and the hands. I don't have to synchronize it, or make sure that it gets enough light!

Time for me to get back to basics!

Thanks for reading.
    Brandon

Re: Are we connected to our watches? Do we identify ourselves by our watches?

Simple is good!

I've had similiar routes through watch obsession and collecting.
    First I thought g shock toughness was where it was at.
    Then I thought automatic.
    Then I thought ultimate depth capability and accuracy. Bought a Sinn UX. Oil filled case, and thermo compensated quartz that is super duper accurate.
    Then I realized I don't even swim often, and a big heavy watch on the wrist isn't really comfortable.
    I want to be a one watch guy, just looking for the watch, and getting tired of the search.

I have realized so far in my search that I like...
    comfort.
    ease of reading time.
    toughness.
    looks.
    low price per performance ratio.

So I am getting back to basics with a bertucci a-2t that is on the way to my house. Titanium, quartz, screw down crown and caseback, nylon strap.

Good luck on the arrival of your new Seiko! I hope you enjoy it, it looks like a great watch.

Banned

If you were that obsessed about radio controlled synching then you did yourself a favor by getting rid of them. Geez, and I though I was a little over the top with this hobby.

I'd ask why you have a dress watch on a NATO strap, but nothing surprises me around here anymore. At least the color combination is kinda cool.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good read. Great choice for a watch...period. I would say one of the most respected watches because if its overall clean design/ style, reliability, ruggedness, non-need for a battery, and overall value. That Jubilee is a a great choice too IMO, style-wise, and comfort-wise.

I think we might be able to connect to ancestors if we have their watches in our collections, and if we pass on some of our nice ones to children and grandchildren they might identify those watches with us.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; December 1st, 2010 at 14:26.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Connected? Yes, in some way. Identified? I hope nope.
    I know someone who changes immediately the moment he touches his Nokia Vertu cell phone, as if some magic power is inside that thing. He puts on an air of big boss or middle aged millionaire, being just an ordinary guy who decided to spend crazy money on a cell phone ($4500). Funniest thing that this is an one actor play, because 95% of people he is playing for don't even suspect that a cell phone can cost more than 200 bucks. So, this is a case when a thing identifies its owner. I would not like to thing that my watch or any other possession influence my person. But connection exists. I feel better when my watch is on my wrist. I look at my watch often, no, I DON'T TALK TO IT!!!
    <hr /><a href=https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

A fair few of my watches in my collection are tied to strong emotional events.

My Chase-Durer I bought myself for college graduation. I had a rough go of it, as my parents were in the midst of separating, and often used me as a medium of argument. On that day, I drove home, skipped commencement, and went to a job interview for a company that I interned with and wanted to work for. They rushed me out and said, in so many words, that because of an error months prior, I was no longer welcome there until I get a job elsewhere and maybe in a few years I could come back. I was destroyed and dejected on my day of triumph. Of course, 8 months later, I was called personally by my director and offered a job over the phone at that company that had blacklisted me (the elements who wanted to block my hire had been laid off) and it's been clear sailing since, but I'll never forget the feeling I had when I bought that watch.

My Tag Heuer Monaco Vintage is not only the coolest watch ever made, it was also a gift from my brother. We came across it at a jeweler and I tried it on, looked at the price tag, and being in college, let out a big sigh. I couldn't afford it, and since it was a limited model, I knew I'd never own it. My insane brother went back the next day and bought it for me and kept in a safe until he had occasion to give it to me.

The Jazzmaster was a gift from my father. Not on the same emotional level of the others; my father bought it for himself, didn't like the trouble it was to keep an automatic running, then gave it to me. But because it was a gift, I'll never part with it.

My Sunset was the first watch I bought with money from my job (the one they said they wouldn't hire me for). It was so empowering.

My G-Shock I bought to commemorate moving out and getting my own place. I wore it to assemble my furniture, do all the messy and tough things that come with putting an apartment together. I continue to wear it to the gym. I don't think it will be a part of my collection forever, though. I don't plan on having kids, but if I did, I'd give it to the first one when he or she was of age to have a watch. Barring that, I think I'll simply put it up on the WUS sale forums for a price of $0, looking for it to have a good home.

The others, while I love them, are just watches.
    Last edited by Raza; December 1st, 2010 at 19:03.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by igorycha View Post
    Connected? Yes, in some way. Identified? I hope nope.
    I know someone who changes immediately the moment he touches his Nokia Vertu cell phone, as if some magic power is inside that thing. He puts on an air of big boss or middle aged millionaire, being just an ordinary guy who decided to spend crazy money on a cell phone ($4500). Funniest thing that this is an one actor play, because 95% of people he is playing for don't even suspect that a cell phone can cost more than 200 bucks. So, this is a case when a thing identifies its owner. I would not like to thing that my watch or any other possession influence my person. But connection exists. I feel better when my watch is on my wrist. I look at my watch often, no, I DON'T TALK TO IT!!!
    great post igor. far to often we often allow objects to define us; i feel it is more important to be defined by our actions and behavior.
    to the op there is no rhyme or reason to this wacky hobby.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

@Raza - Thanks for that post. Nicely puts into words the connection a watch can have to you and for you.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    @Raza - Thanks for that post. Nicely puts into words the connection a watch can have to you and for you.

Thanks for noticing.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information