wearing expensive watches?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: wearing expensive watches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

wearing expensive watches?

sorry guys if this seems stupid, and i am just curious. for those of you who have put down a lot of money to buy a nice watch, rolex, omega, tag, ect.

Do you wear it everyday? or just special occasions and have cheaper watches for everyday use, i used to have some el chepo quartz, and then i brought a seiko 5 auto, i love the sweeping second hand, and mechanics involved in making it work. and was thinking about getting a speedmaster pro, but i think id be to scared to wear it because it might get stolen.

Sorry, i just wanted to ask this question, i know it's stupid. cheers

Re: wearing expensive watches?

Nope, I wear them everyday. If you buy them to enjoy them, may as well enjoy them daily!

Of course if I was working in the yard or something of that nature I might put on a "cheaper" watch but other than that, what good are they sitting in a box?
    -Jarrod

DMB
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Streetvision View Post
    but i think id be to scared to wear it because it might get stolen.
    Stolen as in you get robbed or you take it off and somebody steals it? I've worn fairly nice watches in some not so nice places. Never had a problem. - David
    JPfeuffer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Hi Streetvision and welcome to WUS!
    Stupid question? Does not exist! Only stupid answers, as the saying goes...
    Before I bought my Sinn U2, I wore a Jaeger leCoultre Master Moon 7 days a week.
    No, I was/am not afraid to wear it everyday.
    To damage it or have it stolen, well, it is a risk, but I think a negligible one!
    So, If you buy an expensive watch, to enjoy it fully - wear it!
    Greetings Janne

thanks guys and thanks Janne for the welcome.

I know there is no point in buying a nice watch to shove it in a safe/drawer ect. plus im saving for my speedy, im 19, i've liked watches since i was a little kid, and saw my grandfathers watch, i dont remember what it was but it was manual wind and looked really old, not sure what it was worth but it was a nice watch. but when i tell most people what the omega costs, people seem to think its a real waste of money. but i see the value in it.

Id just be a bit conscious wearing it, for some reason, even tho i probally wouldn't ever want to take it off, and just one off topic question, if over time the face of the watch get's really scratched, can you get it replaced? (sorry, im not giant watch connoisseur's like you guys )

Quote Originally Posted by DMB View Post
    Stolen as in you get robbed or you take it off and somebody steals it? I've worn fairly nice watches in some not so nice places. Never had a problem. - David
    If memory serves, you're also generally armed and dangerous. No?
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

I wear them everyday also. My Rolex Datejust I wear for special occasions only.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetvision View Post
    thanks guys and thanks Janne for the welcome.

I know there is no point in buying a nice watch to shove it in a safe/drawer ect. plus im saving for my speedy, im 19, i've liked watches since i was a little kid, and saw my grandfathers watch, i dont remember what it was but it was manual wind and looked really old, not sure what it was worth but it was a nice watch. but when i tell most people what the omega costs, people seem to think its a real waste of money. but i see the value in it.

Id just be a bit conscious wearing it, for some reason, even tho i probally wouldn't ever want to take it off, and just one off topic question, if over time the face of the watch get's really scratched, can you get it replaced? (sorry, im not giant watch connoisseur's like you guys )
    if you mean the omega speedmaster, or any omega, well yes it can be refinished. I have a seamaster thats pretty old. when it gets to scratched up to wear, I send it in for a service and a refinish. it always arrives back home looking brand new.
    Last edited by yamahaki; May 4th, 2008 at 03:27.

I wore my Cartier everyday for 7 years and it was a great experience. Now I'm alternating it and another piece because I want a sportier look.

Am looking for my next timepiece and will gladly wear it every day forward hopefully for 7 years again... or more.

I have a friend who has a diamond-bedecked, solid-gold Rolex (including the solid-gold bracelet) and wears it wherever he goes. Twice, he has been nearly mugged for the watch. Once, he only had to display his .45 automatic to discourage the yeggs. The second time, he had to put a .45 round between the feet of the nearest thug. All of which is why I (a) don't own any expensive watches that are obviously expensive (blingy) and if I did, I (b) would only wear them in places where a mugging is highly unlikely to occur.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information