Wedding Watch: Grand Seiko Quartz vs. Nomos vs. Other
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kylemacca01

Thread: Wedding Watch: Grand Seiko Quartz vs. Nomos vs. Other

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Wedding Watch: Grand Seiko Quartz vs. Nomos vs. Other

I'm quickly narrowing down my choice for a wedding / court house watch - to rehash - I'm looking at a $2500 limit. Dress to sport watch / dressy.

If you had to choose between a Nomos Glashutte Orion or Ludwig and a Seiko Grand Seiko (HEQ), which way would you go.

I love the fact that the Nomos is a true dress watch - very thin, very simple, very elegant. But, would i wear it as much as a true sport watch like the GS? I don't know.

At the same time, I love the versitility of the GS - slap it on a black leather strap and it's the definition of a dress watch. Put it on that great bracelet, and it's a sport watch that's every bit the equal of an explorer or aquaterra.

Anyway - between these two, which way would you go? HEQ or HEMW?
    Last edited by TheWalrus; March 26th, 2013 at 07:22.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Re: Wedding Watch: Grand Seiko Quartz vs. Nomos vs. Other

They're extremely different, so I'm not sure how they could be cross shopped, but I guess if the fairy watchmother showed up and offered me a Tangente or a GS quartz, I'd go with the Tangente. I like mechanicals, I think the Nomos looks cooler, and I hate replacing batteries so I'd probably go with a high-end eco-drive first.

I like them both but, I agree with Citizen. I would go for the Nomos. I love the look and, despite the high GS quality and accuracy, I have a strong reaction against disposable batteries (yes, yes, I know, they're all disposable - I mean non-recharging.) in a higher-end watch.

They are rather different...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Definitely prefer the nomos of the 2. Not a fan of the ticking hand of a quartz, seems like a waste of a GS for it to be a quartz, its like you couldnt really afford the mechanical you really wanted so you settled. The nomos on the other hand is literally the perfect dress watch. If you want a sports watch get a used AT 2500, i love mine, its the most versatile watch (which was) available on the market imo.

Dressy

Casual

Perfect!
    Last edited by kylemacca01; March 26th, 2013 at 07:35.
    CitizenM likes this.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Yeah, you guys are confirming some of my own suspicions. I like the idea of the HEQ in the Grand Seiko, but my finger hovers over the SBGW031 until I remember my other expensive hobby - diving. On the other hand, you're right - Nomos is fantastic.

What are your thoughts on long term servicability. One thing I'm always wary of, especially with small companies that produce their own movements, is whether or not they'll be around to support the watch in 30 years. NOt essential, but certainly desireable.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Nomos Orion by a mile.

1) I can't come to terms with paying that much for a quartz watch, regardless of brand
    2) The roman numerals on the Ludwig aren't doing it for me.

If you want something sportier, you could always do the Club.
    "I only want to know people who are dynamic, intelligent and totally insane"

Thread Information