is it weird that i don't get Vintage?
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: is it weird that i don't get Vintage?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Like what is the appeal behind a watch that looks like it was found in an Egyptian tomb?

And also whats the deal with new watches made to look vintage?

Wouldn't that not have quite the same appeal because they are aged artificially, instead of having the dirt and scratches a real vintage watch earned?

I mean if it was passed diwn through the generations i can see sentimental value, but it just seems ridiculous to pay a premium for such watches (to me anyways) that have some unknown backstory.

What is the point of this thread? Are you weird for not liking them? No. Are they weird for liking them? No. Do any of us care? No!
    Last edited by herooftheday; July 4th, 2016 at 05:46.

Re: is it weird that i don't get Vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantblade View Post
    Like what is the appeal behind a watch that looks like it was found in an Egyptian tomb?

And also whats the deal with new watches made to look vintage?

Wouldn't that not have quite the same appeal because they are aged artificially, instead of having the dirt and scratches a real vintage watch earned?

I mean if it was passed diwn through the generations i can see sentimental value, but it just seems ridiculous to pay a premium for such watches (to me anyways) that have some unknown backstory.

Most of your comments deal with watches made to look vintage, not actual vintage pieces.

A true vintage piece may have a more finely crafted movement than its modern counterpart, and may be more affordable than the new one. As you mentioned, it may have a history of being passed down through the years. Also, the style of a vintage piece is different from a modern one; same as with, for example, automobile styles. The lines of a 1958 Corvette are nothing like that of a current model. What appeals to one person does not have to appeal to all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think the OP possesses enough data on the subject to make a determination.

I could list my watches here, but I won't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    I don't think the OP possesses enough data on the subject to make a determination.
    couldn't agree more

yes.
    Benzinger .. Dornblueth & Sohn .. Grand Seiko .. Sinn .. Laco .. Schaumburg .. Hamilton .. Tissot

Yep, it is weird.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrantblade View Post

I agree.

Do not buy vintage watches.

The more people that don't understand, the better. Stay away from them. All you're doing is driving the prices up.

Go buy something else.

It speaks to you or it doesn't. In reality all luxury watches can be questionable as far as value. I thought when I bought my first expensive watch that I would get compliments and get noticed. Not so much. No one cares. It made no difference in my life except how I feel. Even though we all have a common interest, what we like and choose to drop $$ on is super personal. Pic of my grandfathers early 1960's Omega pre-pro pre-moon. For the heck of it. Posts are better with pics. Name:  IMG_3482.JPG
Views: 543
Size:  151.1 KB
    Last edited by Rob Roberts; July 4th, 2016 at 06:34.

Time is a gypsy caravan
    Steals away in the night
    To leave you stranded in Dreamland
    Distance is a long-range filter
    Memory a flickering light
    Left behind in the heartland

"Neil Peart"
    Rolex DSSD, Omega PO 45 chronograph, Omega premoon preprofessional Speedmaster, 30th ann Apollo XI Speedmaster, Zodiac Oceanaire, Lumanox, Zixon on order

The appeal is largely in the story, true or imagined, behind a watch. Personally, I "get" the appeal, but it's also not very appealing to me.
    I believe much of the draw lies in the romance of a wristborne machine built as a robust mechanism not for a wealthy collector's fancy, but as a technical instrument, whose performance is as important as that of the optics on one's rifle, or a pilot's gauges. Stepping back from the movement, the watch itself bears marks of the stories it's been a part of; it's the same kind of fascination as any other kind of memorabilia. The hockey stick that made the final playoff goal, the plane that a world record flight was made in. In this case, it's the watch that a soldier used to gauge artillery distances, or a scientist tracking reaction times, or even an astronaut timing a fuel burn. It's the romance of these stories that draws many people to vintage watches, in my opinion - and vintage equipment in general. That such watches can still be serviced and maintained makes it an item of even greater interest.

To me, a major draw of "new vintage" watches is to capture the same aesthetic, but without the hassle of poring over the details to make sure you're getting an authentic, all-original copy, and without worrying about performance issues with the movement or gaskets, etc.

In both cases, though, I prefer to just buy a new watch that I predict will age well. As enticing as, say, an IWC Mk. XII or a Tudor Submariner is, I'd rather get a nice watch and make some stories of my own with it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information