WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Well done, Oris!

2K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  wuyeah 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It does have nice proportions and I love the retro domed crystal. But I don't think they've broken any new ground with this one. Still a little too large for me though.

I'm assuming the bezel is ceramic?

#4 ·
A very nice watch, but it doesn't wow me. The domed crystal is a nice touch, but at the end of the day, it looks like another sub homage. meh

#5 ·
Well done, Oris, for coming (back) out with the unique-looking 40mm Sixty-five, but this new 42mm Sixty-five looks too similar to many other sub homages out there. I suppose if one must have a sub homage AND must have the Oris brand, then this is the watch.

Reactions: AndrewFromTexas
#7 ·
I'm a big Oris fan but would pass this one by in favor of last year's 40mm Sixty Five with its much more distinctive dial.

Reactions: GregoryD
#8 ·
I think this would be a Sub homage in the truest sense of the word - it references certain aesthetic elements from the Sub but has enough differences to be its own unique watch.

I like their decision to make the dial blue instead of black - and while I still prefer the O65 40mm to this (I am with Brent - this is more like a steel version of the Brashear), I think it is a very nice-looking watch.

Oris certainly has been busy (between this and their new 112 movement)! Good on them - I am happy to see an indie company innovating (the big boys could learn from this).

#9 ·
I was looking at these online this week. In the end, I just bought a 40mm Aquis Date from another member on here. I think i'll like the Aquis a lot more.

Reactions: Chris Stark
#26 ·
It's gorgeous, but it looks too much like other milsub homages. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures.

Granted, the quality would be better than the other homages, but to the average person, it would look like a Rolex copy.

It is beautiful, though.

I think Oris doesn't get much respect. But they build quality Swiss watches. As an independent company, I respect them a lot.

Regards,

Sent from my SM-G900V

#27 ·
The old one do look like Milsub a bit but this new one, really?
It think Oris here have done a fantastic job as a homage design. It doesn't carry so much from Milsub or FF. It looks younger. more modern, more sporty.
Although Oris 65 isn't my one of piece to own but it does stand on its on in this diver filled world.

Attachments

#29 ·
I think it is a great watch, but I have mixed feelings. It does come off as a sub homage to me, but with some significant differences (domed crystal, dial color, etc.). My guess is that it will be a big sales success, partly because Oris always has best in class bracelets, and I think that the oyster bracelet is a significant part of the Rolex Sub's appeal. I am not saying that the Oris bracelet is likely to be comparable to the oyster, just that it will probably be a lot closer than other divers in the Oris price range.

On the negative side, Oris has always had very distinctive brand DNA in most of their divers (the broad arrowhead indices, etc.) and I'm a little disappointed that they seem to be cloaking this model in Rolex design cues. I bought an Aquis a year ago in large part because of the distinctive Oris approach.

#31 ·
If you lined them all up next to each other with all the strap and bracelet options, I am sure I would find one configuration of the 65 that pleased me. Probably the smaller version with the blue-grey dial on a bracelet.

The bezel is steel on the new one. I like lume under sapphire, myself; last year's bezel with that treatment would be awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.