Wenger Commando

Thread: Wenger Commando

Wenger Commando

Hello all,

New to the forum so please excuse my simple questions.

I am considering purchasing the Wenger Commando Black 70173 model; I like the clean and understated style.

Commando Black 70173 Wenger Swiss Watch

My two questions would be;-

What type of lume is used on this watch? I can find no reference to this on any website (good lume is high on my priority list)

In general, how well regarded is the Wenger brand?

Thank you in advance for any opinions and advice offered.

Re: Wenger Commando

Welcome to WUS, before you buy take some time to look around the site, although im hardly the one to officially greet you there are many members here who will gladly point you in the right direction. If you give us an Idea of more or less what your looking for (which you have), What your tastes are and budget, im sure we can help get you a nice watch. If your looking for something "Tactical" this is a great place to start, there are lots of members here with military backgrounds and they can tel you what works for them, what doesnt. I dont know much about WENGER, personally im not a fan, but thats just me. good luck and happy hunting.

Most watches today use a brand name called Super-LumiNova. But what type of lume used in a particular watch is usually not stated. You can souce the materials from different places and mix the final product up yourself. More important is if it works well or not.

Wenger is usually considered an entry level Swiss watch which is affordable and durable. More a mass marketed brand that you could find at your local mega-store. Nothing special, but it will service you well.

If I remember correctly, Victorinox bought up Wenger and consolidated them into the "Swiss Army" market segment. I think they are trying to upscale the Victorinox brand, have Swiss Army as a mid-line, and Wenger as an entry level brand.

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know anything about Wenger, but that's a nice looking watch! Welcome!

Thanks very much for the prompt responses!

I have a budget of around £250 (give or take)

I would like a durable watch with the best possible lume at my price bracket. I'm not a diver but I work in a high-risk security role(correctional) where I frequently have to restrain violent people (I currently wear a G Shock as a knock-about work watch); I'm leaning toward the 'tactical' look but have no real need for a chronograph- essentially I like a big clean analogue face that will be an easy 'at a glance' read.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Welcome~That model uses Super Luminova of some sort, unless it states otherwise. There are plenty of reviews on-line and youtube even~Cheers!

If you're looking for long-lasting lume, do some reading about watches with tritium tubes. If you simply want the brightest stuff, look at Seiko Monsters. Here's a (rather poor) lume shot of a Seiko Landmonster I used to own.

"...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

I'll give you one hint of advice, COLORED lume like the Wenger you have posted, looks great but the brightness of the lume will be reduced considerably. Every watch I've seen that has colored lume is ALWAYS dimmer than the non-colored or plain white/green superluminova.
    Buy the seller! "Trust but Verify" quote- Ronald Reagan....

Quote Originally Posted by 2BATTRANGER View Post
    I'll give you one hint of advice, COLORED lume like the Wenger you have posted, looks great but the brightness of the lume will be reduced considerably. Every watch I've seen that has colored lume is ALWAYS dimmer than the non-colored or plain white/green superluminova.

that's excellent advice thank you

Thread Information