What % of your salary do you spend on watches?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What % of your salary do you spend on watches?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What % of your salary do you spend on watches?

What percentage of your yearly salary(after taxes) do you spend on watches? DO NOT mention the amount(either the cost of the watches or your salary) . Just the % will do. We wouldn't want to have a "Who is a millionaire?" thread here, would we? :P
    I am a student presently so cant give an amount yet..and would like to know how much you guys spend on this "unhealthy" hobby.

Re: What % of your salary do you spend on watches?

Been asked many times. Here's a typical one.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what...ch-861155.html

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I'm a kept man, so depending on how you look at it all or nothing :). Joking of course. I have no idea too much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm a put first things first (retirement savings, kid's education, etc) kind of guy. I'm also hugely quality over quantity. I go years in between buying watches.

If I add up lifetime income from earnings and lifetime spending on watches, it's about three tenths of one percent.

That said. I wish I bought a good quality mechanical right at college graduation (my parents were quite poor, I didn't expect or receive a graduation gift) or receiving my commission (Army Officer) vs. waiting until I was 45. Despite my fiscal focus, I think it's very nice to mark such occasions with a splurge. A one time expenditure of that nature isn't likely to impact your long term financial success.

IMHO, it's unwise to put yourself under financial strain for something as trivial as a watch. If you're there, it might be an unhealthy addiction.

That said, if you can afford it, good for you and have at it.

I don't use the net salary money to buy watches, only "extra" cash like interests (small amounts), stock earnings (small amounts), tax refund (money I was not counting on), % of annual company bonus (if I achieve it)...

I really like watches but they're really low on my priority list

a very small fraction - typically use extra monies I made additional to the salary - I'd rather use the monies to fund my retirement savings. It'll be more useful there.
    Last edited by Will3020; January 10th, 2014 at 16:58.
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

<1%
    rfortson and Totoro66 like this.

Approx 0.5 to 1 %
    i spend more money on food

Quote Originally Posted by Harsha_code View Post
    What percentage of your yearly salary(after taxes) do you spend on watches? DO NOT mention the amount(either the cost of the watches or your salary) . Just the % will do. We wouldn't want to have a "Who is a millionaire?" thread here, would we? :P
    I am a student presently so cant give an amount yet..and would like to know how much you guys spend on this "unhealthy" hobby.
    The downside to using a percentage of income as a guide is that it ignores the impact of other more important expenditures on your financial condition. You are in college and will at some point be working I would suggest you consider adopting an alternative to percentage of income devoted to watches and other luxuries. The money available to be spent on watches and other luxuries should be income less: household expenditures, payoff of credit cards, payments on any term debt, money for savings, money for investment and money for retirement. In other words don't commit to spending a % of your income on watches when there will be more important things to take care of.

edit: One added thought. If you have to borrow to buy a luxury then you really can't afford it.
    Last edited by John MS; January 10th, 2014 at 17:40.

I don't buy watches....Friends,Fans and Family give/loan them to me......
    Totoro66 likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information