What about Piaget watches?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What about Piaget watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What about Piaget watches?

A member of my family has become friends with a Piaget dealer and is offering a substantial discount on any Piaget watch.

I've done a bit of research on the history of the brand, their products, but other than what's on WatchProSite, there's not a lot of real user feedback on the watch.

It seems the ultra thins are good sellers, as well as their Polo line (seems to be akin to the Royal Oak for AP, or the Reverso for JLC). I'm mixed on whether I like their designs... I think I could like a ultra thin, but is it worth the money? I could probably get used to a polo, though the style is not really me.
    But does anyone have any thoughts on their watches, the brand, etc. good or bad?
    Borealis Adraga
    AQ4020-54X
    GF-8251K, GMW-B5000D/TFC, GWF-D1000NV,
    IW356501
    MKII x HALO Airborne, PMWF Graywater GMT
    Oris Carl Brashear Bronze
    SBDX013, SBGA001
    116610LV, 116520

Re: What about Piaget watches?

One word of advice: never buy a watch because you think you're getting a good deal, with the feeling that you don't like it that much now but could "get used" to it. You won't get used to it . . . at least not if you keep browsing a site like this one, and see all the other watches that fellow members are wearing, and realize that your tastes incline to another piece. Sooner or later -- it might be in a month, it might be a year -- you will see a watch here that captures you from the first moment you see it, and then you'll want to sell your Piaget Polo (a very fine watch) to acquire it.

With that being said, the Piaget is very well respected, particularly the Altiplano Ultra Thin. As a pure dress watch, its quality probably matches that of a Patek Philippe Calatrava, though it has less history and less brand-name recognition behind it. I would class Piaget somewhere between JLC and Vacheron/PP/AP, so if you can pick up a Piaget for a big discount and like the look, do it!

Personally I would probably only go for the ultra thin. The movements are great and the styling is classic. Like gouverneur said, if you don't like it now you never will so its not a good idea to buy it because of that but, depending on the discount you're getting, you might have a new for the price of a used and then if you went to sell in the future would experience minimal depreciation. You could always find a buyer here on WUS if your tastes change but you need to like it now to make it even plausible.
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not so sure about gouverneur's rating Piaget above JLC and so close to VC/AP/PP. Never heard anyone else rate them so high. But they are a fine watch and make their own movements, some at least.

I did quite a bit of research on their beautiful ultra thin, the Altiplano, of which they make three different models. One must read into the statements of commentators, but I found several statements that the Altiplano has "issues". I am quite sure what they meant was the usual about ultra thins, they are fragile, they lack accuracy, if they are knocked their accuracy goes off if the watch is otherwise not damaged, and one must be careful tightening the watchband on the wrist because the thin case will flex and the movement can be damaged or at least accuracy will be impacted.

If you are very careful with the watch, you should be good, but it is a watch that must be babied. It was when it came out and may still be the worlds thinnest automatic movement and that movement is made in house.
    Last edited by Gary123; August 29th, 2012 at 19:25.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

They also supply movements to Cartier, check out their Caliber 608P
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary123 View Post
    I'm not so sure about gouverneur's rating Piaget above JLC and so close to VC/AP/PP. Never heard anyone else rate them so high. But they are a fine watch and make their own movements, some at least.

I did quite a bit of research on their beautiful ultra thin, the Altiplano, of which they make three different models. One must read into the statements of commentators, but I found several statements that the Altiplano has "issues". I am quite sure what they meant was the usual about ultra thins, they are fragile, they lack accuracy, if they are knocked their accuracy goes off if the watch is otherwise not damaged, and one must be careful tightening the watchband on the wrist because the thin case will flex and the movement can be damaged or at least accuracy will be impacted.

If you are very careful with the watch, you should be good, but it is a watch that must be babied. It was when it came out and may still be the worlds thinnest automatic movement and that movement is made in house.

reverences

I dont like any of their stuff other than the round Altiplano. If you like that, and can get a good price on it, then its a very impressive watch. Simple, elegant, dressy. But a lot of people might find it a bit too simple and borderline boring, so its really upto you.

It is tough to find much information about the 608P. I am not surprised they supply movements to Cartier, I understand they make some good ones, but I think not all of their watches are powered by their own movements.

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    ...... the round Altiplano. .......... a lot of people might find it a bit too simple and borderline boring, ...........
    That is the nature of a dress watch, always has been.
    Last edited by Gary123; August 29th, 2012 at 20:04.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

The Piaget Altiplano is fantastic! At least to me.

Depending on how significant the discount, why don't you proxy it for somebody? Get a nice cut of $$ and get something you actually like.

According to this classification, Piaget is high enough to get one at a good price.

Name:  Watch Breakdown.jpg
Views: 6701
Size:  38.4 KB

I have no doubt they are great watches but the only one I like is their ultra thin and at their price range I think there are many better options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information