WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What about the versatility of vintage inspired dress divers

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  sea0bass 
#1 · (Edited)
(EDIT: I also got a new watch yesterday!!)

Hello,

First off, I know this has been beaten to death but I'm particularly curious about these type of watches.

I used to wear dress watches exclusively to my clients and the office. I noticed there are surfacing more and more vintage inspired dress divers like the the Breitling Superocean Heritage, the Tudor Black Bay Heritage and the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial and I happen to like these designs a lot. They have a classic design, polished surfaces and a shiny ceramic bezel which, to me, make them dressier. Now, I know they aren not Submariners (which are widely accepted in all but the most formal occasions) but if I was to use one of these in a lot of different settings, where would you draw the line?

I can't find a definition of "dress diver" anywhere but these models are not intended as primarily diving tools. I remember this thread which helped me actually a lot when just starting out: https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/definitions-dress-sports-tool-watch-categories-long-read-597914.html

As a matter of fact, it doesn't help me at all if want to buy one for a daily wearer. A diver is not a dress watch. But there should be room to stretch a Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial for more formal occasions then a Seiko Monster, right? Do these watches have some of the versatility of dressy sports watches like the Aqua Terra or Explorer?

If you are someone who shines his shoes and matches his leathers, what would you think is appropriate for these vintage inspired dress divers? Okay for business casual? Business suit maybe? Attending a wedding? Stay in the water?

PS
Should you happen to know useful topics to read through, please post the link. I have used the search function thoroughly.

See less See more
#2 ·
I got to say it is a little bit disappointing that nobody wanted to share his opinion with me. But I will not be all sentimental about it because I got a Seamaster 300 anyway!

This arrived yesterday in the mail and it exceeds all my expectations! Little bit smaller than my Steinhart OVM, but so much more refined!! I can't believe the level of detail that's in this watch.

Nevertheless, my OP is still relevant so chime in if you want.

Have a nice day!

#4 ·
Thanks GlennO. It fits barely but I know there's guys who are able to fit a PO under the cuff: I can't imagine that myself. It's 41mm wide, 48mm lug to lug and 14.5mm high. Although the case design gives the optical illusion for the watch being thinner than it really is.

#5 ·
For what it's worth, I personally would draw the line for a 'smart' watch (i.e. wearable with a suit, but not necessarily a dress watch) roughly at the submariner. Anything significantly more 'sporty than a sub would probably be a no, and anything more classically styled would be a yes. I'd say that the Seamaster 300 is on the more classical style, but a Planet Ocean would probably be a no. Also, congratulations on the new purchase, I wasn't too keen on that watch from the pictures on the Omega website, but a more 'natural' picture makes it look fantastic.

#7 ·
I guess that the sub may be the benchmark then. It always seem to me that the sub in person looks a lot dressier in real life than in pictures. The Seamaster 300 to me looks less dressy because of the lack of applied markers.

I think the product pictures have way more pronounced colored markers. It's less yellow when you see it in person.

I too would wear that watch with everything up to a suit.

My rule with suits would be - avoid something whose colour clashes with the suit or whose design is too loud/garish. I personally also won't wear a rubber strap with smart casual or up.

Other than that, have at it. As long as it is not overdone (ie, no bright NATOs or orange dials), a watch and a tie are good ways to show a little bit of individual style and personality under the shell of conformity imposed by a suit.
I'll keep it on the bracelet for now. It looks nice. Maybe I'll get a croc strap to mix things up a bit later.

#6 ·
I too would wear that watch with everything up to a suit.

My rule with suits would be - avoid something whose colour clashes with the suit or whose design is too loud/garish. I personally also won't wear a rubber strap with smart casual or up.

Other than that, have at it. As long as it is not overdone (ie, no bright NATOs or orange dials), a watch and a tie are good ways to show a little bit of individual style and personality under the shell of conformity imposed by a suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Swans21
#8 ·
Congratulations on the Seamaster 300! If it had a matte ceramic bezel and didn't have the polished center links, it would be at the top of my want list. It's still a very interesting watch, but I think I can resist, at least for now. :)

#10 ·
That's a lovely watch. I'm jealous-- it's definitely on my short list. However, personally, I wouldn't wear it with a suit. I wear my AT or vintage Seamasters with suits, but I'm just not comfortable with a diving bezel in a dress situation. Call me old fashioned if you wish, but I like wearing different watches for different occasions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.