What allows a movement to have a more accurately displayed date wheel?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What allows a movement to have a more accurately displayed date wheel?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Inactive

What allows a movement to have a more accurately displayed date wheel?

This observation has not got vigorously scientific data behind it, so feel free to take issue with everything . . . .

For many watches I see photos of on the affordables forum, the alignment of the date wheel within the date window is often highly inaccurate. At the London G2g I noticed that the watches with 2824s seemed to be significantly better. I believe I noticed that the 9015s were amongst the imprecise watches, but, you know, beer and high-velocity chatter. . . . .

I was wondering what technically was behind the superiority that the 2824s enjoyed, what gives them greater control over their date wheels?

Re: What allows a movement to have a more accurately displayed date wheel?

I don't understand the question. The date isn't centered? That's not a movement fault, that's a QC fault of whatever maker put the watch together.

"He's just a witness"
    GrouchoM likes this.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Better/poorer design, maybe the date window is not properly cut, or mvmnt. properly mounted in case.
    Other makers models they are.
    Last edited by little big feather; August 23rd, 2014 at 13:58.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Was the London GTG at midnight? Some calibres take longer to turn the date wheel than others....Or if the watches didn't have the time set to the actual time, they might have been in the process of changing date...

It's just downright down to whoever made/put the watch together - all boils down to QC. I don't think its a 2824 vs 9015 thing, really I don't, very similar movements in my opinion, i'd be happy to own either (and I do), although I prefer the handwinding feeling on the 9015. There are most likely some poorly built watches with a 2824 out there.

In my opinion, its down to the saying, "you get what you pay for".

Inactive

I guess these days if a company is shelling out for a 2824 they're more likely to be taking their time over installing it, and so that's whyI got the wrong end of the stick. It was a Stowa that was caught my eye in comparison with some other watches.

I'm fairly sure, nonetheless, that when I was playing with quick-set dates, that the ETAs clicked over more nimbly....

I've noticed that the date mechanisms on most watches are quite primitive...this goes for Grand Seiko, Omega, at least one Patek I've seen in person (maybe other models are different), the 2824 etc. Rolex and most Jaegers, as well as the GP big date watches, seem to have a vastly superior version. Oh, and GO big dates are among the best out there. They all change over very quickly--practically instantly for some of them, over the course of a few minutes for others. The slow moving date is my biggest complaint about my GS or Omega.
    Der Amf and mleok like this.

There is alot to consider with this question.

First the date ring is held in place with plates or bridges, and is advaced with gears and springs. held in alignment with clicks and springs. The are no adjestments to be made than can adjust this relationship to the movement. In a new watch these items should obviously be working properly. In an older movement with weak, worn or broken parts improper advancement of the ring can happen, but can also be repaired by replacing the parts.

The date ring can be printed off center or misaligned and that can lead to it not being displayed thru the date window correctly. Again there is nothing that can be done to fix this except get a new date ring. I have seen this in some watches but that is a prodution issue not an assembly issue.

If the movement date ring and print are all aligned correctly, the dial could be misaligned, but that would mean the feet on the back of the dial are in the wrong possition or they are bent. more likely on older watches than a new one.

Of these senarios the most likely is a printing error of the date ring. It would be almost impossible for it to be an assembly issue as parts would have to bent or broken to cause any misalignment.
    Der Amf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I guess these days if a company is shelling out for a 2824 they're more likely to be taking their time over installing it, and so that's whyI got the wrong end of the stick. It was a Stowa that was caught my eye in comparison with some other watches.

I'm fairly sure, nonetheless, that when I was playing with quick-set dates, that the ETAs clicked over more nimbly....
    Nice jumping to a conclusion there, bud.

This is shaping up to be another "hating on Japanese because they're not Swiss" thread.

"He's just a witness"

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Inactive

I own three Seikos, and three Chinese watches, two with Seagull movements and one with a Shanghai movement. Also a Russian watch with a Russian movement. My next purchase will be a Beijing with an in-house movement. In the new year I'll be buying a fourth vintage Seiko. I don't own any Swiss watches, though my German date-free watch has an ETA movement.

So, back to this notion of jumping to conclusions....
    Donf and drhr like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information