What constitutes a high-end watch in your mind?
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: What constitutes a high-end watch in your mind?

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

What constitutes a high-end watch in your mind?

I had the opportunity to share some fantastic Cigars, scotch and watches with Dan (Drickster), Bacari, and Gary (Gary123) last night. It was a great evening, and towards the end of the evening we got into a very passionate debate over what a "high-end" watch really is.

In my humble opinion, the term "high-end" is infinitely subjective and relative for every single person/WIS. It's far easier for us all to come to agreement about what the "highest end" watches are... one of a kind hand crafted, spectacular complication, over the top watches... or "Lowest-end"... those 99 cent pieces of junk you can order in bulk off of ebay.

So where do YOU draw the line for "high" end and why?

For me, the line begins somewhere around a Hamilton or Tissot with an ETA movement or better... the watch must be an original design, a high accuracy mechanical movement, and aesthetically beautiful. Price is largely irrelevant to me... but I think the market prices what I would consider high end somewhere in the $600+ range. I think if you were to lay all the watches manufactured in a given year and put such a watch in a percentile.. it would probably make the 95th-96th percentile.

Here's an example:

EDIT: Just to be CLEAR this is not a debate about what is or is not high end... I think arguing about it is stupid. I'm just curious as to where YOUR line is.
    Last edited by Doboji; January 10th, 2014 at 16:35.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Re: What constitutes a high-end watch in your mind?

I'm more concerned that I have no one to have these discussions with. I'm in Knoxville, maybe you guys could start coming down here for these get togethers. I like Scotch. :)

To me, high end signifies something beyond the level of common luxury brands... so it's more like Patek and friends for me
    BarracksSi and DM71 like this.
    G-Shock Mudman G9000
    Louis Erard 1931
    Timex Weekender T2N654
    IWC Portofino Ref. 3513
    Seiko SARB035

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

High end for me entails more craftsmanship than is necessary, more decoration than is necessary, and more zeros on the price tag than is necessary. In my opinion exclusivity and hands-on craftsmanship are requirements for high end status--for watches and other goods as well.

Any brand that has reputation and recognition by "craftsmanship" that is beyond Omega & Rolex.
    Gary123 likes this.

jah

Hmm, not sure where I stand on even what I consider to be "high end." Personally, I think it should have an in-house movement, and if I were to put a number figure on said watch it should be over the $10,000 mark. For instance, I don't consider my Breitling Navitimer World to be a "high end" luxury watch, however I do consider it to be a luxury item. Again, I don't want to argue either just giving my opinion on what I personally consider to be "high end."
    Doboji and drickster like this.

High end is so subjective its difficult to draw a line.
    Some snob somewhere will always tell you your watch isn't.

At the end of the day if you paid less than 5 figures and it's not precious metal then its probably not high end.

But as far as I'm concerned if it has an in house movement then it qualifies as the company has achieved something that few companies today can claim to have done.
    And I agree that the design should be somewhat original too.
    For example I consider this JLC to be the most beautiful watch in the world;

If I ever manage to get one then that's as high end as I'm willing to go and it's not gold or 5 figures.
    But I would take it over any other 'high end' watch out there.
    TheWalrus and Doboji like this.

For me, HIGH-END entails the ABSOLUTE BEST QUALITY that a product or service offers. I think we get Luxury and HIGH END confused. Luxury is anything that you overpay for just to have it. You can get a watch at the .99c store but luxury watches quality is above your average watch so the cost is more. HIGH-END to me is short for HIGH-END LUXURY meaning that quality is everything and you have to go above normal expectations to achieve this. Since the car comparison is over used, I'll use restaurant as an example. Everyone needs to eat, but do you HAVE TO go out to eat, No you can eat at home. However, it is a Luxury to have meals prepared for you. Going to McDonald's is a LUXURY even though the food is normally inexpensive to most of us (Americans Anyway). You have your tiers in Restaurants from your hot dog cart in the park to your 5 Star, excluding names. Throw the Names of restaurants in the mix and you can go anywhere from Lucky Dog Hotdog cart, to McDonald's, to Chili's, to Benihanas to Ruth Chris all the way up to going to the Royal Palace to have a 10 course meal. Now you may not like the food, but doesn't mean it isn't Luxury. The same can be said for any product or service including watches.
    Doboji and swissgmt like this.

I rarely make financial decisions based upon what I can or cannot afford. I try to take an honest economic approach, and look at it in terms of what I will or will not spend. Yes, I can afford the Ferrari, but buying it means that I probably won't have a house; or a wife and family. That is a trade-off I'm not willing to make. Using this theory, "high end" is something that requires considerable thought and justification before purchasing. It's not always about the Benjamins, but cost is certainly a key factor.

-hayday
    Doboji likes this.
    The pessimist says it can't get any worse, while the optimist says it can.

Simple man with simple words.
    High End Watch= $$$$$$.....But you could take an Invicta and cover it with diamonds and it's still a $.02 watch.
    Doboji likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information