What could be the thinnest thickness for a watch case with 2824 movement?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By yankeexpress
  • 1 Post By yankeexpress
  • 1 Post By ACoulson
  • 1 Post By ACoulson

Thread: What could be the thinnest thickness for a watch case with 2824 movement?

It's a bit personal, for my upcoming project...
    Just wonder if anyone could help me with this.
    thickness excluding the glass and caseback..

Thanks

calibercorner likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: What could be the thinnest thickness for a watch case with 2824 movement?

The Miyota 9015 is a better movement. It is also thinner than even the 2892, which is thinner than the 2824.

And the 9015 is less expensive than both. It is the best affordable 28.8k beat per hour movement made. We have been discussing this in other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    The Miyota 9015 is a better movement. It is also thinner than even the 2892, which is thinner than the 2824.

And the 9015 is less expensive than both. It is the best affordable 28.8k beat per hour movement made. We have been discussing this in other threads.
    Without going off topic, well, you already did...

The eta 2824 is 4.6mm thick, the Miyota 9015 is 3.9mm thick and the eta 2892 is 3.6mm thick, so you arenít correct on sizes.

Also, how are you defining better and which grade of eta are you comparing a Miyota to?

The positional variation (specified and of tests I have seen) tends to be pretty large. They only specify it to 40 seconds per day positional variation, which is huge.

All accuracy data is pretty much anecdotal and of a sample size too small to be worth wasting breath on, but essentially even low spec eta 2824s are specified as more accurate than Miyota 9015s, and while there is probably more conservatism in the Miyota spec I donít think anyone can definitely say that the Miyota 9015 movement is more accurate.

Having seen and worked on both under a loupe I would say I have been more impressed by the finish and quality assurance of eta 2824s, though admittedly my sample size is statistically insignificant.

It could be said that using a Miyota movement makes more sense from a financial point of view, in terms of initial cost and costs of spares. I would certainly not say it is a better movement though.
    Last edited by ACoulson; December 6th, 2017 at 08:15.
    GratisShark likes this.

lvt

I have a Tissot day-date with the ETA 2836, the case height (including crystal and caseback) is less than 9mm.

The 2824 shouldn't be thicker than the 2836, so slim case with a 2824 is totally possible.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by ACoulson View Post
    Without going off topic, well, you already did...

The eta 2824 is 4.6mm thick, the Miyota 9015 is 3.9mm thick and the eta 2892 is 3.6mm thick, so you aren’t coming text on sizes.

Also, how are you defining better and which grade of eta are you comparing a Miyota to?

The positional variation (specified and of tests I have seen) tends to be pretty large. They only specify it to 40 seconds per day positional variation, which is huge.

All accuracy data is pretty much anecdotal and of a sample size too small to be worth wasting breath on, but essentially even low spec eta 2824s are specified as more accurate than Miyota 9015s, and while there is probably more conservatism in the Miyota spec I don’t think anyone can definitively say that the Miyota 9015 movement is more accurate.

Having seen and worked on both under a loupe I would say I have been more impressed by the finish and quality assurance of eta 2824s, though admittedly my sample size is statistically insignificant.

It could be said that using a Miyota movement makes more sense from a financial point of view, in terms of initial cost and costs of spares. I would certainly not say it is a better movement though.
    Here is one of the threads:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/japa...t-4586105.html

As an owner of many 2824 equipped watches, I have a many dogs in this contest. That being said:

Any new watchmaker considering the 2824 should be aware of these issues:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/f6-2...ad-866942.html

If you need an accurate answer you really need to get the drawings from eta and talk to a manufacturer, but as a very approximate guess-

1. Movement height is 4.6mm
    2. Thickness of a seconds hand (assuming the above number includes the stem for the hands) would round the above up to 5mm
    3. Clearance from seconds hand to glass needs to be at least 1mm
    4. Depth of glass needs to be around 1mm or more
    5. Clearance from movement to case back needs to be around 1mm
    6. Depth of case-back must be around 1mm?

Those (except the first) are all approximations, but give you a theoretical watch depth of at least 9mm. As verification, the thinnest case for an eta 2824 I can find on the Ickler website is 9mm.

In short, I think you would struggle to get a watch thinner than 9mm with an eta 2824.

You could take a millimetre off that with a 2892.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ACoulson; December 6th, 2017 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Is testing one regulated movement your understanding of a statistically significant sample of what amounts to hundreds of thousands of mass produced unregulated movements a year? Do you think the same regulation and quality control goes into a cheap Miyota 9015 you can buy from the internet as one they put in their flagship mechanical watches?

Look, accuracy wise eta and Miyota movements will be all over the place within (and sometimes outside) their specs, and you will get good or bad. Unless you have tested thousands of each, in the form they are sold to small scale third parties, I donít think you can say which would be the most accurate.

I havenít said it is a bad movement or worse that a 2824, I just said you canít call it better.
    GratisShark likes this.

Thread Information