What did you buy AFTER Santa brought you something?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gary123

Thread: What did you buy AFTER Santa brought you something?

What did you buy AFTER Santa brought you something?

Okay, it's a common problem. Santa impressed you, but what Santa brought just started the blood lust to simmering. So, you went back to the store, because nothing is better than getting a watch from Santa except adding to it a few days later.

Santa brought me an EBEL 1911 Automatic dress watch, which I described elsewhere. But when I realized just how good a deal Santa got, and after Santa's gift had forced me to research the history of the brand, I realized it just wasn't enough.

So, I bring you the EBEL 1911 BTR Chronograph. The BTR series was the brainchild of Thomas van der Kallen, who'd been hired by Movado to lead EBEL to preeminence as a manufacture. BTR stands for "Beyond the Roots", or, more closely to the American ear, "Back to Roots". The styling is consistent with EBEL ever since Pierre-Alain Blum, grandson of founders Eugen Blum and Alice Levy, established the style with the 1911 Sportwave in 1986, in honor of the year the company was founded. He was very successful with quartz Sportwave models, but realized that there would be a move back to mechanical watches as luxury items. So, ini 1982 he approached Zenith to buy El Primero movements, but Zenith said they'd destroyed the tooling at the request of their recently departed owner, Zenith Radio Corporation. But, in fact, one of their workers had squirreled away the tooling and designs in a storeroom, and he brought it back out when EBEL offered to buy movements from Zenith. So, Zenith resumed production of the famous El Primero, primarily to provide them to EBEL for use in the 1911, which came out with that movement in 1986. This was the watch Don Johnson has been photographed wearing in Miami Vice.

But Zenith could not meet EBEL's supply requirements, so EBEL worked with Nouvelle Lemania to create a new chronograph movement with the same dial arrangement as the El Primero. The result was the EBEL Calibre 137, which is an integrated sliding lever chronograph with a reversing rotor for winding. The Cal. 137 first appeared in the EBEL Modulor in 1995. By that time, EBEL had been bought by Investcorp who also owned Brequet and Nouvelle Lemania, and EBEL bought about 40 critical parts from Lemania and assembled the movement in house with parts of their own make. The movement was also made available to Brequet, who uses a variation of it (using the same plate) today. Blum left in 1996, and Investcorp decided to get out of the watch business. In 2001, they sold EBEL to LVMH and Brequet and Lemania to Swatch. EBEL would lose access to its critical parts source, so they arranged to purchase a five-year supply of parts from Lemania. They subsequently arranged with Dubois Depraz to make these critical parts.

Under LVMH, EBEL was constrained from making sport watches, because LVMH wanted to protect its sport watch brand, TAG-Heuer. So, EBEL concentrated on ladies watches and men's dressy watches, though some of them used the Caliber 137. During that time, they designed several variations on the 137, which ended up on the shelf.

All BTR watches are COSC-certified, and many of the 1911 models were also. Both my EBELs are chronometers.

In 2005, Movago bought EBEL from LVMH, and hired van der Kallen to run it.

Here is the 1911 BTR Chronograph, with the cal. 137 movement, on a rubber strap, bought for less than a quarter of retail at the Movado Company Store in Virginia:

This photo shows the dial design up close. The dial comprises guilloche sub-dials, wtih the second hand at 9, the minute totalizer at 3, and the hour totalizer at 6. The date is at 4:30. The hour markers are index-style with polished facets. Typical of EBEL, lume is minimal. The hands are index-style with the same design as the hour markers. The chronograph hands are all painted red. The bezel is rubber in a stainless steel case, with a sapphire crystal that has anti-reflection coatings on both sides.

Here's a wrist shot. The case is large at 44mm, but the movement much thinner than a 7750 and the watch wears smaller than its nominial size.

Now, for the movement.

The case has a display back. The first photo shows the movement with the EBEL BTR rotor design. The design of the rotor was supposed to represent architects' dividers, in keeping with their "Architects of Time" catchphrase. Notice that the screws, while not blued, are nicely polished. The one bridge that is visible is nicely chamfered, and the other bridges are decorated with Geneva stripes.

Here's anotehr view of the movement, showing the chronograph linkages (of the sliding plate type rather than the cam-driven approach of the 7750 or the column-wheel approach of the El Primero and others), the reversing wheel, the balance wheel and adjustement, and so on. The balance wheel and all the gears I can see seem to be made from Glucydur, and the jewels are rubies, rather than polyrubies. The movement has 26 rubies and a zirconia.

Finallly, here's a photo of the back as a whole, mostly provided to show the engraving applied by Movado for some of the watches they sell in their outlet stores. The MR supposedly stands for "Movado Retail". It may also read "MCS", for "Movado Company Store". These have been added to these watches to keep people from buying at wholesale in the company stores, because of the low prices. And it happens--I've seen a BTR like this one, except for the leather rather than rubber band, which sold on eBay for $800 more than what I paid at the Movado store. These watches came with full warranties--the Movado Company Store is an AD.

Rick "so, what did you buy to add to what Santa brought you?" Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; January 6th, 2013 at 09:07.

Re: What did you buy AFTER Santa brought you something?

I got that one too. It is the one I will mostly wear. 'Cause I feel bad for the poor alligator. I see yours is stamped "MR". do you feel that diminishes it's value? I also wanted to ask you. this watch has the wrong serial no. on the card. They told me don't worry about it. should I? Oh, and did you get a COSC cert. with yours? Oh, nevermind the cosc ert. I remember you said you did not get one. Very few people did. I would have liked one. They all refused to give me the price tag! I suppose that is also so you do not go to another store. You guys got one though. I am now thinking of this. I cannot post a pic so here. http://www.watchswiss.com/media/cata...bel-Tekton.jpg
    Last edited by horocomplicated; January 6th, 2013 at 14:09.

congrats on the watch.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have to say, the design of these Ebels is growing on me.

I think most folks know Santa brought me a brand new Montblanc Star GMT Chronograph for Christmas. This SHOULD have kept me happy enough, but nooooooo, Mr. Rick Denney had to go and buy himself a new Ebel BTR 1911 137 and make me jealous..........So, you know the answer to this. My Ebel 1911 BTR 137 was delivered this morning to my home, but I'm at work, so I won't be able to open her up until I get home tonight. Mine is the same watch as your watch, but I got the red handed, black alligator with red stitching model like this:

Name:  Ebel 1911 BTR Larger.JPG
Views: 876
Size:  281.6 KBName:  Ebel 1911 Movement Larger.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  327.3 KB

It's going to be an incredibly loooooooooooooooooooong afternoon, until I get to go home and play!

Rod "It's COMPLETELY Rick Denney's Fault" Brylawski
    Last edited by RBrylawski; January 8th, 2013 at 20:43.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

I have bought a Franck Muller that I am now having a little trouble with the seller over it, but nothing serious and I should have the watch back in a couple weeks. And I am preparing to purchase a Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine chronograph as a dressy sport watch. But the watch appears to be discontinued in the US and I am hoping my dealer can find one pre owned at an international show in 3 weeks. He says he likely will find one.
    Last edited by Gary123; January 9th, 2013 at 15:45.
    Roller.959 likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero .. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub 106, Muhle Glashutte Rasmus blue

I almost ALMOST bought this yesterday. There is a Movado store at the Tanger Outlets in San Marcos Texas. On rubber it was $1880 and leather $1990. Very nice.

My collection may be complete, but it is never completed

Collection: Rolex Submariner 116610; Seikos Orange Monster, Black Monster, 007 (X2) 009, SRPB53, SPB079, and SRP775; Hamiltons Khaki 42mm and Khaki King; Halios Laguna; 2012 WUS CMW Forum Dual Crown Project Watch; Invicta Pro Diver 8926OB; Casio Pathfinder PAG40; G-Shock GD350, GW7900B-1, DW9052-1BCG. GMW5610-1, DW5600, DW5600CMB-1, DW5900, GW-9400-1CR; Orients Star Classic and 2ER; Some other stuff.

Santa didn't bring me anything. I was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by copperjohn View Post
    I almost ALMOST bought this yesterday. There is a Movado store at the Tanger Outlets in San Marcos Texas. On rubber it was $1880 and leather $1990. Very nice.
    If you're referring to the Ebel 1911 BTR 137, don't think about it. GET IT. Once they're gong, there won't be any more. The more I wear mine, the more I love it.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

Thread Information