What did YOU wear in the sixties, seventies, eighties?

Thread: What did YOU wear in the sixties, seventies, eighties?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What did YOU wear in the sixties, seventies, eighties?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I was just a kid with a shimmering interest in watches. I recieved my first wristwatch at my eight birthday in 1980 and it was a manually winded bluefaced Ancre watch and I loved it.
    It looked something like this (but not an automatic):

Had that for several years until digital became all the rage and I got a digital watch looking something like this:

and a bit later even one including a real calculator.

Than the digital hype was over and a new one started....it Swiss, it's Quartz, it's Swatch. Fancy Smancy plastic watches that suited my tiny bankaccount perfectly (relying on newspaper route money and some summer jobs)

I had this one and i Loooooved it

and I saw that you can still get it for the hefty sum of 250 dollar (mine was about 40$ in 1987).
    followed by this one in 1988 :

For graduating I received a nice quartz Seiko Chronograph and that lasted me about 5-8 years.

And than I bought myself my first Automatic. A S-Line Mondaine watch looking similar to this one (with a still scratch free saphire, and a bit larger SS case):

After about 8 years of that the sh*t really hit the fan and I'm stuck with the lot of you (and you with me )
    2 Omega's and a third on it's way...

Re: What did YOU wear in the sixties, seventies, eighties?

I wasn't even born in the 80s! I recently got interested in watches, but this was the watch that started it all for me. started collecting at 13. I loved this watch, and it was my very first.

Now my collection is this:

And a pic:

My Collection --> Click Here

Most of the time I wore my Lucien Piccard - seashark.

Oh, and I'm wearing it now also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No pics, but in the sixty's I wore either my Boy Scout watch or a Timex. The seventies, digitals (LCD's) and in the eighties, mostly Seiko's. NIneties: Bulovas, Hamiltons, Accutrons & a Rolex Date.
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

My first watch was in the 60's. It was a Caravelle, which was a budget Bulova.

By 1972 or 73, I had an automatic Seiko. That was stolen around 1977. Just as well- it kept lousy time, but probably needed to be regulated. Or stolen

After that I am pretty sure I had another Seiko- quartz. By the late 70's I inherted a Patek and an Omega. The later turned out to be a fake. I would probably have also inherited an IWC but that was also stolen. The IWC and Patek were 100% genuine.

By the early 80's, had a Casio digital watch. Then came another Quartz Seiko. I probaly wore the patek a half dozen times in the 1980's.

Of all these, still have the Patek. I have no clue what happened to the Caravelle. The 2nd Seiko Quartz finally failed after about 25 years. I brought it to Seiko but they advised they no longer had parts. Too bad- it kept good time.

I threw out the Casio. It had a faux gold plate finish which flaked off and was just lousy. But accurate it was.

And the fake Omega- still have it! Interestingly, this fake Omega, which is a Seamaster replica from the mid 1960's, is what got me interested in real mid 1960's Seamasters. I have owned quite a few real Seamasters since, and have one now- all mid 60's vintage

60's and 70's can't help you, 80's was diapers... and eventually got a G-shock in the 90's. It's taken me until now to get a "serious" watch. Had an Invicta for a few years which I loved, a Certina which I hated and broke, and I think I owned a Timberland watch for some time that was pretty cool.

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono 2910.50.81

Some of you guys have good memories.Pretty amazing that alot of you saved your oldies..All i can remember is i went to work long enough to buy a cool digital watch back in 78 or it was 77..I was only 12 or 13,but i was in love with these cool looking digitals.
    Mike

Benetton by Bulova and POP SWATCH

Anyone else read Kyle L's post and feel really, really old? Astonishing collection there, Kyle--I wish I had your sense when I was 13! Then it was a series of Fossils to get me through the 90s until my tastes got more expensive.

As for what I was actually wearing in the 1980s, it was something like this:

I was born in the 70's. Only watch I remember wearing as a kid was one of those digital calculator watches. In the Army, it was just a cheap quartz that I bought on base. My mid-20's to early 30's was also fairly affordable watches like Fossil's & Citizen.

I didn't start making really good money until my mid 30's, then I was able to start getting better quality watches, Tag's, Omega's, etc. Within the last year, I sold all my Tag's and gave my Omega Seamaster to my father. Right now I have 2 Ball watches, a Seiko Orange Monster, a PAM homage and a couple other misc. watches. I'm looking to get another Omega Seamaster

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information