What is the difference in Automatic Movements

Thread: What is the difference in Automatic Movements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the difference in Automatic Movements

In doing research for an upcoming watch purchase, I have encountered a varietly of different movements. I have seen ETA 2824-2, with 25 jewels, and also with 51 jewels. I have noted that more expensive watches have Valjoux 7750 25 jewels. What is the difference between these movements, besides price?

Are there other movement that are common in decent automatic watches?

Re: What is the difference in Automatic Movements

Do some research and you'll find the answers out there. There is to learn.

The ETA 2824-2 is probably the most common quality swiss movement. It's a good first choice, because it's more simple it's a lot cheaper and easy to service. ETA is simply the company who makes this movement, they are the biggest supplier of swiss movements and are owned by the Swatch group.

The Valjoux 7750 is one of the most famous movment. Valjoux in this case is not a maker but the original designer of the movement. It is a choronograph andrenowned for being cheaper to make then other styles yet still highly reliable. It's also know for a "wobble" feeling it occationally gives to the wearer.

Jewels are simply synthetic rubies that are in places that get a lot of wear in the watch. For a chronograph 25 is the common number for a quality watch, 21 for a normal automatic hour minute second date watch and 17 for a hand wound or vintage automatic. I would argue that you don't need to focus much on this these days, any good watch will have the right number and anything more is just for bragging rights (i.e. some watches had 100 rubies but they were not actually in places that were needed.

There are hundreds of different movement so to name all of the good ones would be impossible. Another one I'll mention just because it's common to come up, especially in the cheaper (but still good) Japan autos would be the Miyota 21J and the Seiko 7S26. These typically much cheaper than the ETA 2824 but still a reliable option.

Hope that helps, if you want to do more, just search around. The information is all here.
    Collection:

*Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic Twin Time (WV2115)
    *Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra (2503.33.00)
    *Vintage 1956 Junghans Chronometer Cal. 82/1 (682.73)

*Sunnto Core Lava Red Positive Dial (SS016788000
    )
    *Casio Super Illuminator (MDV102-7a)
    *Vintage 1983 Seiko SQ (6923-7009)

*Jaeger-LeCoultre Atmos Cal 528-8 Mantle Clock

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Murrkf View Post
    In doing research for an upcoming watch purchase, I have encountered a varietly of different movements. I have seen ETA 2824-2, with 25 jewels, and also with 51 jewels. I have noted that more expensive watches have Valjoux 7750 25 jewels. What is the difference between these movements, besides price?

There is no ETA 2824-2 with 51 jewels. IMHO the ETA 2824-2 has got a module (maybe for chronograph function or any other complication) so it is 25 jewels + module (26 jewels). Before pulling the trigger on a mechanical watch you should "learn" about the basics. Google, this forum, as well as others, are good sources for research.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

More of them than you could name in a reasonable length post.

For more information than could possibly want try reading these:

http://www.timezone.com/library/wwat...68591017665598

http://www.timezone.com/library/wglo...91881806327073

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium

And most of the articles in the "News & Features" section as well.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    There is no ETA 2824-2 with 51 jewels. IMHO the ETA 2824-2 has got a module (maybe for chronograph function or any other complication) so it is 25 jewels + module (26 jewels).
    That is what it was....had a Dubois-Depraz module 2020.

I appreciate the replies. I know how frustrating is can be when a noob asks questions that likely have been asked a thousand times before. This site is huge and somewhat intimidating to a noob like me. Thanks for assisting in my attempts to understand.

As mentioned already, ETA is a maker of movements. The 2824 is a basic movement that tells the time and the date. The ETA 7750 is a chronograph movement. Comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges--they each serve different functions. If you want to compare, you need to find movements with similar features. To make things even more confusing, movements like the 2824 and 7750 come in different grades that have some higher quality parts making them more accurate and nicer to look at. On top of that, some higher end companies like Omega/Breitling/IWC buy movements from ETA and modify them for their watches. The may include replacing parts as well as decorating the movement. This is part of the reason you can find a 2824 in a $200 watch as well as in a $2000 watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
    To make things even more confusing, movements like the 2824 and 7750 come in different grades that have some higher quality parts making them more accurate and nicer to look at.
    Oh...that is revealing and a little sad. In other words, there is no way to compare movements....

Is it possible that, for example, a 2824-2 could be BETTER than a 7750?

I was led to understand that a 7750 is a medium quality movement, where as a 2824 was more "entry level" quality. Is this inaccurate?
    Seiko 7005-8052 (Looking for another or these as well)
    Seiko Chronograph SNA225P
    Hamilton Khaki
    Oris Big Crown Chrono
    Nice little Vintage JeanRicahrd Auto

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Oh...that is revealing and a little sad. In other words, there is no way to compare movements....

Is it possible that, for example, a 2824-2 could be BETTER than a 7750?

I was led to understand that a 7750 is a medium quality movement, where as a 2824 was more "entry level" quality. Is this inaccurate?
    Depends on what you mean by "better."

A COSC ETA 2824-2 could possibly be "better" than a base level Elabore grade ETA 7750.

But, comparing would be hard as a 7750 is a day/date chronograph and a 2824 is just a three hand movement w/ date.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "better."
    Now that I think of it, I don't really know what better means. When it comes to movements, how is quality measured?
    Seiko 7005-8052 (Looking for another or these as well)
    Seiko Chronograph SNA225P
    Hamilton Khaki
    Oris Big Crown Chrono
    Nice little Vintage JeanRicahrd Auto

First off, one cannot compare two different movements which have different functions. The 2824-2 is a basic movement with hour, minute, second, date, hacking, and winding functions. The 7750 adds chronograph functionality, but not everyone likes a chrono or has a use for one. Personally I prefer the 2824-2 since I like divers and find the chrono hand on chronos to be distracting (since it just sits there at 12 o'clock). But to say one is "better quality" than the other is misleading. Its like comparing whether chopsticks are higher quality than a spoon. Both are used for eating, but applied differently.
    Lots of dive watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information