What discount level causes you to go gray market?
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: What discount level causes you to go gray market?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What discount level causes you to go gray market?

I recently bought a watch that was listed at $2K on Jomashop and was $8K at the AD. That delta made it clear which way I should go, though I assume I could have negotiated down at the AD.

Considering another watch purchase currently listed on various GM sites at just below $6K and I think I could probably get it from the AD for $7,500.

Would rather go AD, but $1,500 is not insignificant.

What price difference has made you choose either GM or AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What discount level causes you to go gray market?

It depends on the watch and the movement. I'm willing to pay about a 10%-15% premium for a watch from an AD over the grey market price, especially if it has an in-house or exclusive movement, or it is commonly faked.
    Seaswirl, drhr, OSUMBA2003 and 1 others like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB123 View Post
    I recently bought a watch that was listed at $2K on Jomashop and was $8K at the AD. That delta made it clear which way I should go, though I assume I could have negotiated down at the AD.

Considering another watch purchase currently listed on various GM sites at just below $6K and I think I could probably get it from the AD for $7,500.

Would rather go AD, but $1,500 is not insignificant.

What price difference has made you choose either GM or AD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As long as the discount level is lower at the GM i go with that and if i got all the warrantys etc.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 42mm
    Glycine Combat 6 36mm
    Traser H3 P5900 Type 3

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As long as I've got manufacturers warranty I'll go for the best price I can get. I've gone GM a few times and as long as you research the seller I can't see an issue.
    Docrwm and pronstar like this.

if the price is greater than 10%, i would go GM. because in the end, a difference of 10% on a $5000 watch is enough to pay for service in case something goes wrong, as you will save $500 in price + $500 in tax. But chances are, nothing will go wrong, so I end up saving $1000.
    Bub838 likes this.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

I would need to save about a minimum of $1,000-1,500 for me to go to grey market (this is assuming GM warranty).

If we're talking about a reseller, where you're getting a bnib watch with manufacturer's warranty because the watch was originally sold though an AD, I just take the best price I can find.

But like mleok said, if it's a very exclusive movement, or very high end watch, the low risk of an AD becomes very enticing. Think PP, VC, AP, Lange, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    It depends on the watch and the movement. I'm willing to pay about a 10%-15% premium for a watch from an AD over the grey market price, especially if it has an in-house or exclusive movement, or it is commonly faked.
    This. I bought a watch with a recently released in-house movement. Watch failed in two weeks, and the AD offered a refund or to replace it with a new watch. I don't think I would have gotten the same options from a gray dealer. The AD's price wasn't that much more than grey so it was a no brainier for me.

My choice to go GM is not only based upon the percent discount but also the total amount spent. I have a personal dollar cap at which I would no longer go GM. I know that others here have bought really expensive watches thru GM dealers, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a five digit watch without the makers warranty. My total cost cap is based upon what I could afford to loose [God forbid] if something went wrong with the deal.

So long story short... the last time I went GM it was a 37.5% discount.

Jeff

Lightbulb Re: What discount level causes you to go gray market?

Grey Market prices are very good indications of what your watch is worth after being used. I found that if you add 20% to the GM discount, you will get an approximation of the watch's value after being used.

In other words, invest in watches with low GM discounts!
    Last edited by watchRus; July 25th, 2015 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
    My choice to go GM is not only based upon the percent discount but also the total amount spent. I have a personal dollar cap at which I would no longer go GM. I know that others here have bought really expensive watches thru GM dealers, but I just wouldn't feel comfortable buying a five digit watch without the makers warranty. My total cost cap is based upon what I could afford to loose [God forbid] if something went wrong with the deal.

So long story short... the last time I went GM it was a 37.5% discount.

Jeff
    Out if curiosity, what's the threshold above which its AD only? For me, $2k was worth the risk in the GM, and above $10k, I think I'd definitely go AD.

Wrestling with this choice because it's between the two...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information