What to Do What to Do
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What to Do What to Do

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What to Do What to Do

Hi all - First time poster. A few months ago I walked into an Omega boutique with the intent to try on the steel blue Seamaster 300M. While there I inquired about the 50th anniversary Speedmaster. I eventually decided to hold off on the Seamaster and put a deposit for the 50th LE figuring I could always return the deposit if I didn’t like the watch and get the Seamaster. Since images of the Speedy came out I’ve loved it. It’s essentially perfect right down to Buzz’s butt (not sure why people don’t take the time to realize this is an actual image Armstrong took of Buzz). All that said, I have a few hesitations. The first is that the $10K price (post tax) is rather a for a Speedy. The second is that 6,969 pieces is large. I could justify the price if the numbers were smaller or vice versa. My final hesitation is that I don’t have a large collection. Just two watches (one a Baume Capeland flyback chronograph and the other a Cartier tank). I was initially looking to diversify my collection by getting a diver and the 50th, while a truly special watch IMO, would be adding another chronograph.

All of this being said, I’m now a little lost. I’ve decided to think as to the opportunity cost of buying the speedy. So let’s play the game. What could I be doing with the $10K instead in terms of watch purchasing? I could feasibly go get the Seamaster and later on something nice like a Tudor BB58. I could perhaps get on a wait list for a Pepsi GMT from Rolex. Or I could just spend the money on this watch that I think I may love despite my minor concerns. I am trying to be thoughtful about the building of my collection and love both of my current pieces. Thoughts?

Re: What to Do What to Do

Any stainless steel watch for $10k better be super awesome in every way. The Speedy does not qualify.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Not Seiko: Parmigiania Tonda 1950, Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, IWC Cal. 89 (c. 1957), Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), Scurfa Diver One, G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7069 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), 5740-8000 Lord Marvel 36'000 (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), King Quartz 5855-5000 (1977), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984), SKX399K "Philippines"

I think people know its the actual image, they just don't think its very flattering to put it on the watch itself.

I would definitely recommend the BB58, it is fantastic albeit difficult to find. You should only get the Speedy if you really love it, not because it is a "Limited" edition and you hope it would appreciate in value when you sell it (which it might do). You can always get a regular Speedy for slightly above $3000 and have the extra $7K to spend on something else later. I don't think there is much difference between them except for the aesthetics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello ChronoKing,

Impulse buys always causes one to second guess.

Perhaps you just wait to receive the Speedmaster LE and wear your Baume Chronograph when you do go to pick it up so you can compare and decide there and then which one you like better. If you happen to not like the Speedie as much as your Baume then simply get a refund and bring home the Seamaster instead. The Seamaster isn't going anywhere, rest assured.

You can also go on the waiting list for a Pepsi GMT now and once you get the call after some time (could be a year+) you may have saved enough for two GMTs.
    Regards,
    Erik

Rolex Explorer 114270
    Rolex Explorer II 16570
    Rolex Explorer II 16570 Polar
    Rolex Submariner 14060m
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600BB-1

DEPARTED
    Omega Seamaster Professional 2254.50
    Helson Shark Diver 40
    Seiko SKX007
    Orient Ray EM65008B

You appear to be having second thoughts about dropping $10k on an LE Speedy when your collection is just getting started. Kudos to you for being honest with yourself. You are headed down the right general path in thinking about getting quality pieces versus picking up a bunch of less expensive watches that ultimately are less satisfying. You’re also wise to be aware of the hazards of impulse purchases. I’d suggest holding off on buying the LE Speedy. In my mind the LE thing is a marketing tactic used by brands to lure in buyers. Without regard to how many are being produced is hard to know what the 50th LE will eventually be worth. Omega has churned out a lot of Speedy variations, I’m not a Speedy collector but if I was I would go for a quality pre-owned piece that there is a proven market for now. An Omega Seamaster 300M SMPc is a good selection; consider pre-owned as well as the new one, there are a ton out there, they’re really good watches, and you can get a nice one for inside $3k. You should keep some of your powder dry because your appetite is going to evolve with time and experience.
    Simon likes this.
    We may be lost but we're making good time.

Personal preference I despise the 50th Speedy so any choice would be better.
    timefleas likes this.

TCF - that made me laugh out loud

OP - ur mind clearly is not made up - so dont do anything in haste - if there isnt a clear front runner that you want, do just buy something else you like - wait a while

10k is such a lot and could buy a few beauties or 1 knockout watch - dont be hasty
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

I say wait a couple of months to see what else it out there and also whether you really, really like the 50th anniversary Speedmaster. As you say, it has such a large production number, that I am sure you can pick it up easily enough later on if you do decide it is what you prefer over what else is out there.

Since you only have a few watches, can I assume that you also prefer a small collection? Because if so, then value-price ration should be a far secondary concern next to how much you like a watch. Obviously, you don't want to being paying too much for what you get, but $10k isn't a ridiculous price for what you are getting (you can't compare the price of it next to a regular Speedy as there is quite a bit different), plus that it is a big anniversary model and it has a lot more interesting features.

$10k is such a competitive field. Can get a Octo Finissimo, the Seamaster 300M and a Grand Seiko, the IWC Da Vinci 150th Anniversary, etc. Not sure about any hot Rolex watches such as a Pepsi GMT as you will never know when you can get one and grey market prices are way above $10k.

I really don’t think they Speedy will hold its value. It’s not exactly a “limited” edition. Unless you love it so much you think you’ll never flip it I would buy a watch that will retain its value. You don’t have a diver so a Submariner or 50 Fathoms might be a good fit. I find it tremendously useful to have a rugged diver for travel, swimming etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really appreciate everyone’s feedback!

So yes, I’m certainly on the fence. If prices were equal, it would be an easy decision as I’m a big fan of the Speedy LE. I’m not really in the business of flipping my pieces. My Baume was purchased as a wedding gift and the Tank to mark the birth of our child. Those pieces I will never flip. This purchase is a bit offseason as it doesn’t mark a significant life event but I’m in love with the watch and though the quantity produced is high, it is still limited and generating much interest. I’m cognizant of the watches future value not as someone who will want to sell it but as someone who will want the market value of his piece to remain intact. I spoke with the boutique and was informed that only 700 pieces are coming into the US. I crosschecked that information with other boutiques and got the same answer. My hunch is that while this won’t be the next snoopy, the value will appreciate. I may be wrong and that’s a risk.

As far as comparisons to other Speedys, I have to admit the base models do not do anything for me. Also, this watch stands apart inside and out. New 3861 movement, master chronometer/COSC, gold details, caseback and a great bracelet. Perhaps $10K is much but hard to compare to the $3K Base model with those improvements.

All that being said again, I am thinking of my growing collection. After a chronograph and dress watch, it seemed fitting I should go for a dive watch or GMT. I also travel fairly often so those two complications speak to me. Despite my user name, a chronograph is cool but I certainly don’t need two.

Interested to hear more feedback and be told I’m missing something in any of my points above. Also love the conversation of other pieces that may fit in my collection better but that are also special.

What to do, indeed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information