What do you think?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What do you think?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do you think?

Hi everyone!

Brand new member here. I would like to get your thoughts on a purchase. I was able to pick up an Alpina Startimer brand new for 199$. Down side is it has a quartz movement. Although it is an established brand from what I've read. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Was it a good entry level buy? Would you wear it? Bring on the comments Good, bad and the ugly!
    Thanks in advance!

P.s. I can't wait to learn so much from all the knowledgeable forum members on my long time love of watches!

JJ

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    JimWharton likes this.

Re: What do you think?

Personally, I'm not a big fan of this watch, but that's not because I find anything particularly egregious about it. Just not my cup of tea, but would fault no one for having one. I've only ever handled Alpina watches once in person, at a mall store in Dallas. I can't speak to this model, but of the pieces I did handle, my recollection was that the fit and finish were very good. I don't have a concern that it's quartz, and I will always have a few quartz pieces in my collection as grab and go choices. $199 is a great price as far as I can tell. If it makes you happy, what more do you need?

Alpina makes a very nice watch, and while I have no idea what their quartz models retail for, I’m inclined to think you got your money’s worth...and then some.

Regarding the movement; quartz isn’t a “downside”....it’s just an alternative. Mechanical movements are favored on the forums, but that’s usually based on a bunch of subjective, intangible and emotional preferences. Both movements offer their fair share of “pros & cons”.

Anyway, congrats on the new watch and welcome to the forum. If you can, post a few pics of the Alpina...we tend to like folks better when they dangle some bait in the water.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I very much appreciate the love for the quartz. I will absolutely post a pic when I receive it! On schedule for delivery tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s hard to go wrong for $199 when buying an Alpina, quartz or not
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

An interesting note - Alpina invented the notion of the Sport Watch. In the 1930 they published their intention to make watches that had these four criteria:

1) Water Proof
    2) Shock Resistant
    3) Anti-magnetic
    4) Stainless Steel Case

That spread across the industry to what we all see today as the modern sport watch.

$199 for an Alpina....wear it!!!

I've recently been eyeing some Alpinas too. Never handled one but from what I've read in the past couple of weeks, you got a good price. Quartz or auto is just a preference of the wearer. Both have their place and do the same basic job in the end.

Generally, quartz is cheaper to purchase and service. I'm sure most members here have both in their collections. For me, it's about the watch. If I like the styling and it's not junk, I'll get it no matter which movement. Some I prefer in auto, if available. If they made a Seastrong chrono with an auto movement, that might get me to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    Regarding the movement; quartz isn’t a “downside”....it’s just an alternative.
    THIS.

OP: I have mostly automatics, but I adore my quartz pieces. They absolutely take a beating and never skip a beat. Pun intended.

No shame in saying you love quartz. And while we're at it, often you can get all the finer finishings that mechanicals have with quartz movements, and still walk out of your AD with something gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
    $199 for an Alpina....wear it!!!
    Yeah. Love the hell out of it, because if you continue in this hobby, it can consume you... Make sure you stop once in a while to remember "your first love." Ah, summer nights...
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

In 2018, these Swiss Made true travelers GMT automatic Alpiner 4 models could be found new, online for under $400 and sometimes under $300. Keep an eye out for them.

They are powered by an ETA-2893 automatic with an inhouse module added to make the hour hand quickset, so the local time hour can be changed without stopping the movement, ideal for sailors, pilots, tourists and making them the lowest priced true auto GMT available new.

Last edited by yankeexpress; April 25th, 2019 at 22:59.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information