What do you think about Breitling Transocean 38 Chrono
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What do you think about Breitling Transocean 38 Chrono

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What do you think about Breitling Transocean 38 Chrono

I prefer chronos south of 40mm. Haven't found many. This Breitling I found seems okay. Apart from the ETA movement and no glass case back are there any other noted issues with this? There is a great deal going online at ashford.

1) ETA 2892-A2 with Dubois Depraz is this going to be hard to service?
    2) How is Breitling service in general.
    3) What color dial?

Please answer one or all my questions :)

Name:  BreitlingTO38.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  BreitlingTO38b.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  68.2 KB
    Collection:
    Zenith El Primero 1969 re edition, Seiko 5 SNKL23

Past:

Nomos Tangente, Sinn 556i, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date, Omega Aqua Terra, Raymond Weil Freelancer, Zenith Ultra Thin, Tag Heuer Monaco

Re: What do you think about Breitling Transocean 38 Chrono

Servicing is not a problem and Breitling is first rate, but look for a good watchmaker.
    KyleT and falcon4311 like this.

Blue dial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KyleT likes this.
    Current Collection: Sinn U1; Omega Speedmaster 3570.50; Seiko SARB033; Casio PRW-3000-1A, G-5600A-7DR; Jaeger Le-Coultre Reverso Grande Taille; Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical ref. H69429931; A. Lange & Sőhne 1815 UP/DOWN; Swatch Sistem51, and some others...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1. Nope.
    2. Heard mostly good things about it.
    3. The dark grey one.
    KyleT likes this.

So I had a chance to see a lot of these in person and had an odd experience with one at the A/D. First impressions were wow that is classy and more understated compared to most Breitlings which is a good direction for at least some of their line IMO. So I had this black one on wrist and noticed what I thought was a big flaw, there was a sharp piece of metal hanging from the seconds hand. The salesmen got out a loupe and we both inspected it and agreed that it must have been sheered off improperly in the manufacturing process and somehow made it through quality control. It appeared to be attached to the seconds hand like a hangnail off the side of it. I was shocked that it got through QC because it was quite obvious to me right away. I don't think this is typical or specific to the transocean or anything just an anecdotal story I guess... I have owned many Breitlings (just got a new one in yesterday) and was marveling at it all day today, they are some of the finest finished watches money can buy IMO.
    KyleT likes this.

It looks like you already have a couple nice chronos, maybe time to venture out? If chronos are you thing, then I would get a different color dial than the ones you already have.
    KyleT likes this.

I love the Transocean Chrono in general, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to read all that stuff on a 38 mm dial (I'm getting older). As for dial color, the blue is striking and the black is elegant. Choosing between the two is a matter only of the statement you wish to make.
    KyleT likes this.

Great looking watch, no doubt about it.
    That mesh bracelet is very nice and comfortable but I would still get one of the Breitling croco straps to go with it for those dressier occasions.
    You should not have problems with that movement performance or servicing wise.
    I have had several watches serviced by Breitling and they have done a great job every time.
    There is only one thing I don't understand - why did they have to call it "Especially for women?"
    KyleT likes this.
    It is just a matter of time....

I'm going to mention something that probably would not make a bit of difference to me, because I also like smaller watches, and my favorite single piece is an old Omega chrono that is less than 38. But just so you know, in the Breitling catalogue, this watch is labeled as a "ladies watch." To be precise, the first page of that section of the catalogue says: "Especially for women, Breitling has created a 38mm-diameter chronograph that lends a touch of character to any wrist." Take it for what it's worth, but some people wouldn't want to find that out *after* they bought it. I've looked at it carefully, and I can't see any reason whatsoever for a man not to wear it. The only thing that gives even the slightest hint that it is a ladies watch is that two of the versions of it have diamonds on the bezel. I'm actually appreciative to have an appropriate opportunity to mention this and see what the Breitling experts say about it. If I got a Breitling, it would probably be this one (in blue). I'm curious to know whether if I wore it to the Breitling club, people would come up and quietly say, You know you got a girl's watch.

Edit: Oops, wessa posted while I was typing.

Second edit: GlennO, thanks for the link to the Hodinkee article. I'd say they covered the gender issue just fine.
    Last edited by Splinter Faction; October 26th, 2014 at 07:36.

Quote Originally Posted by wessa View Post
    There is only one thing I don't understand - why did they have to call it "Especially for women?"
    Hodinkee review asked the same question and he emphasized that it is a mens perfect size watch too.
    GlennO likes this.
    Collection:
    Zenith El Primero 1969 re edition, Seiko 5 SNKL23

Past:

Nomos Tangente, Sinn 556i, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date, Omega Aqua Terra, Raymond Weil Freelancer, Zenith Ultra Thin, Tag Heuer Monaco

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information