What do you think? To keep or not to keep?

Thread: What do you think? To keep or not to keep?

What do you think? To keep or not to keep?

Hello all,

Maybe you could help me. After much research and countless hours spent on forums and watch sites, I found myself my first "real" watch, The SARB017 Green Alpinist. I really like the watch, and look at it as a "lifer". I have enjoyed it thus far, but I was thinking, is the fact that it is a screw down crown going to be a problem if I have to set it every time I want to wear it since i won't be wearing it everyday? I plan on being careful with it, taking the advice from people on the forums to ensure careful threading and whatnot. I guess the fact that it's an automatic and going to need servicing coupled with the fact that the screw down could be a consistent problem, is making me wonder if I should just go quartz to avoid the headaches :/ (anticipating darts and/or tomatoes) For real though should I expect crown problems, even with proper care? Is a screwdown crown on a auto/mechanical a dealbreaker for you? Can you have a screw down crown changed to a nonscrewdown crown? What about a watch winder? Again, I really like this watch. I would hate to give it up, especially after searching high and low and finding one that really jumped out at me. Sorry for all the questions, but your help would be greatly appreciated..thanks!
    Last edited by davetruth; January 5th, 2013 at 07:19.

Re: What do you think? To keep or not to keep?

There is a potential for wear on the crown stem and threads. You should consider a watch winder if you are not wearing it everyday but don't want to re-set the time.

I find screw-down crowns annoying. Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the crown - just be careful and see if you can wear it several days in a row and then off for several days rather than on a schedule that forces you to wind it every day that you wear it. Personally, while I understand the appeal of a winder, I certainly wouldn't bother with one. As for maintainance, yeah, well, it's just a cost of doing business if you like mechanical watches.

Best of luck with your decision.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You wont have trouble with the crown unless your completely ham fisted or extremely careless, as for the servicing with a watch at this price point you may want to way up the costs involved. It's recommended servicing ever 5 years or so but realistically if you not wearing it constantly and it's still keeping time you could stretch this time frame a little I think.

I am overly conscious of not wanting to prematurely strip threads.

Some people think it's silly, but on an automatic I don't always wear, when convenient enough and if I care to, I first note the time that watch stopped (disregarding AM/PM. Let it sit fully wound down............I then set an alarm on my smartphone to a couple minutes before the noted time, then time comes, I shake it

Sounds like you really want this watch; I wouldn't let a feature that most consider useful (for water resistance) get in the way of that. Buy a winder if you like - they're not too dear.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Sounds like you really want this watch; I wouldn't let a feature that most consider useful (for water resistance) get in the way of that. Buy a winder if you like - they're not too dear.
    Agree, this one feature shouldnt spoil your clear enjoyment of the watch.

Thread Information