What does/did your dad wear on his wrist?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What does/did your dad wear on his wrist?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

What does/did your dad wear on his wrist?

My dad has always rocked a Seiko of some sort, and lately he won't go for anything but a Seiko kinetic. He lost his old one so his wife got him one of those new beautiful Seiko Kinetics with the Sapphire; gorgeous watch.
    He doesn't much care for the automatic thing; I can't see him bothering to maintain it, really.

But my friend, who knows nothing of watches, told me one of his earliest memories is his dad flicking his Omega watch on his wrist when he first put it on. I thought that was cool.

So yeah, what does/did your dad wear? Was he a watch guy? Did he get swept up in the convenience of quartz technology? Something digital, perhaps?

Re: What does/did your dad wear on his wrist?

My Dad passed away in 1990. He had a watch, but my son has it now. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was a Timex of some sort. I do remember it was a silver color w/ a white dial. He was not a watch guy. He would only have one watch at a time. This last one I mentioned I do remember was a wind up mechanical. Not quartz and not automatic.
    cottontop

v76

My dad used to collect watches, he's worn everything from Timex to a Patek Philippe. I think he's worn Omegas the most, a lot of the 50's bumper autos and Seamasters, Constellations and De Villes from the 60s and 70s. He's also worn various Rolex, Tudors and Seikos. I think his favorite brands are Omega and Rolex, with Patek Philippe as his grail. He usually prefers handwind over automatics for everyday usage (vintage Rolex, Baume et Mercier and GP from the 40s and earlier). He's worn a few quartz watches in the past (Seiko and Junghans the most), but he definitely has a soft corner for mechanicals and wears them a lot more. Currently, he's cycling a vintage Tudor, a Timex Indiglo quartz and a Rolex DateJust/President.

Oh, I forgot pocketwatches, he has a few and loves them too. And he loves old clocks, anything from mantelpiece to carriage to wall clocks. He has a JLC Atmos which is his pride and joy and a very old German wall clock which belonged to his granddad which he treasures.

He's also warned me about the hobby and to keep away, but the lure is just too strong ... like those Sirens in Odysseus luring ships to their doom
    Last edited by v76; April 3rd, 2010 at 19:54.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My dad beat his watches to death as an industrial painter (bridges, electrical transmission towers) so he never spent much on an individual watch, but he always had one on his wrist. The last powerful memory I have of him is my placing a watch on his wrist during his final viewing.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

My dad was a traditional kind of guy, so he never went for the quartz revolution.
    Throughout my life, I saw my dad wear only three watches:

-a Tudor he got while stationed in Europe with the RCAF in the early 1950's. I had it restored and wear it now .
    (pic here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=382913)

-a Sicura "diver" . It came by mail packed in a tube filled with water! Didn't last him very long though.

-Rolex Sub bought in Lucerne in 1976 which he wore until his passing in 1999.

He came from a very poor family, so I doubt he had a watch prior to his Tudor
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

and a Mega 1 (no pics yet)
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

two tone rolex datejust, a timex, and seikos.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

My passion for Yemas, came from my dad who still has his yachtingraf kept away. Other than that I recall a Casio that he gave to me further down the line, and because of that he bought a Citizen Windsurf. Recently he got a Nautica that was offered and that's about it. Further more he never was/is a watch guy.
    http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn234/ulackfocus/RSCN1624-1-2-2.jpg

My dad used to wear a watch everyday, typically a digital of some sort. He tells me now that he does'nt understand why I like watches so much. He once had this gps watch that looked rediculous!! was probably 8 years ago.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki Nui View Post
    -a Tudor he got while stationed in Europe with the RCAF in the early 1950's. I had it restored and wear it now .
    (pic here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=382913)
    Sherry, did you know that if you click on the number at the top right corner of your post then copy the URL and paste it into your post, anyone who clicks on the link will be taken directly to your post instead of sorting through the whole thread? Just an FYI. I found out by accident one day.

Here's the link to that exact post: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showpos...3&postcount=13

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information