What does the forum think of chrono24.com?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What does the forum think of chrono24.com?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What does the forum think of chrono24.com?

Evening all!
    So as a newbie to this world I am looking to buy my first piece (probably an Omega). Have asked a few questions and read around a bit and been recommended watchrecon as a good place to buy but the selection there is pretty limited. I stumbled today across chrono24 which seems to have a great selection at great prices.
    Has anyone ever bought there? Is it reliable?

Any info appreciated

Thanks!

Banned

Re: What does the forum think of chrono24.com?

Well, you don't really buy from watchrecon or chrono24. Watchrecon aggregates the popular watch forums' (including WUS') sales sub-forums in one place, and allows you to search by brand. So if you want to buy from other forum members, whose reputations you can often confirm on the same forums, it's a good place to shop. But watchrecon doesn't sell.

Chrono24 doesn't sell either. It's just a site where sellers (individuals and businesses [brick and mortar or virtual]) can list what they have. Chrono24 doesn't offer any guarantees or ebay/paypal-like protection for buyers, though they do indicate whether there have been problems reported with certain sellers.

In either case, it's your responsibility to know the seller.
    tsbphd likes this.

The sellers on Chrono24 do not update their listings. Many times I have inquired about a watch that had already been sold.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The image of the journalist as wallflower at the orgy has been replaced by the journalist as the life of the party.
    ― Nora Ephron, Wallflower at the Orgy

I don't know what the forum thinks. I think it's a good resource for monitoring and tracking the current asking prices and availability of a lot of watches. As such, it's an good resource to plumb when figuring out one's haggling targets.

Chrono24 also has a blog/magazine that got interesting article from time to time. (Watches and Technology Archives - Chrono24) "Interesting" is what I mean; I don't mean that I think they are always good, objective articles. Chrono24, like pretty much every information outlet is deeply beholden to the watch manufacturing industry for its livelihood.

The "attached at the purse string" reality is subtle, but it's clearly there for critical readers to see. Take for example Chrono24's article "How to Find the Perfect (first) Wristwatch." (Chrono24 Magazine: The perfect wristwatch) The interests of watch sellers' profit motive run throughout it:
    • In the section about deciding how much one spend wherein the author lays the groundwork to make the novice buyer feel okay if s/he might overspend a bit. "This could mean that you (probably) spend more than you initially planned..."
    • In the section about movements:
      "We already know you want a mechanical watch..." Really? How do they know that? I have no doubt in my mind the author knows that among any maker's offerings, the greatest revenue/profit gains come from mechanical watches. Why is that? Because the greediest watch company in the world is keenly aware that few people think a watch case and bracelet/strap needs to cost multiple thousands of dollars to be high quality. They also know quite well that with very little effort anyone will discover that when it comes to quartz movements, in most cases, quartz is quartz is quartz. That is to say, they don't get appreciably better simply because a fancy name is on the dial. Moreover, most folks have at one time or another owned an inexpensive quartz watch and are well aware of how long the movement lasts and how effective such a movement is at keeping time
    • In the section about movements:
      "Some brands use third-party movements and put little effort in making it nicer than it already is, while for other brands creating a mechanical movement entirely in-house with the highest level of hand-finish is the ultimate goal." Here again, the author begins to cultivate new "watch snobs." You and I both know that there's nothing better for pricey watch sales than snobby consumers, consumers who gladly and unbidden will promote the interests of the watch companies who make the most expensive watches and who will almost without exception encourage more, and more expensive spending rather than more frugal spending and objective evaluation.
    • In the section about accuracy:
      "Although there is no mechanical watch as precise as a radio-controlled digital watch, a lot of effort is being put into developing and producing accurate mechanical watches" Am I the only one who finds it odd that in that whole section the word quartz does not appear once? The author is very subtly preparing the reader to spend whatever sum and not place timekeeping accuracy at the top of the list of a priorities. To use the hackneyed car analogy, that's like a automotive press editor suggesting that the cars you might most desire aren't really all that good as means of transportation. LOL Now you tell me, what other manufactured machine that one can buy, and that costs far more than the most basic competing machine also doesn't also equal or best it's cheapest competitor at doing the primary thing the item is built to do?

Tell me, just whose interests are being served in that article. Do you see anything in that article that explains, or hints that eventually will come an explanation of objective features that make a watch movement perform "this way or that," keep time "better or worse" than alternative ways to build a movement, survive shocks better or worse than alternative ways of cushioning a movement, or glow for more or fewer hours, etc? I don't see nothing of the sort.

I'm not saying all the information provided is bad or untrue. I'm saying that article and others on the site tell only part of the "story" and the part told is the part that is in companies' best interests. I mean really. Open any automotive press magazine and you'll easily find discussions/commentary about the pros and cons of various engineering approaches to chassis design/fabrication, engine design and fabrication, and so on. (Here's just one Google search example: https://www.google.com/search?q=choo...ons+car+motors . Find something similar for watches and overwhelmingly what you'll find is kind individuals sharing their knowledge.) The information may not be presented concisely in one place, but it's there and it's not hard to find.

So what I'm saying is that the editorial content I see from Chrono24 is just one more data point that supports my assertion that, for the most part, watch companies and watch sellers hold the watch press "by the balls." Consequently, at best, I think that Chrono24 is good as a source of empirical data, but not especially good for the average, novice watch collector as a place to obtain information.

All the best.

I knew that a historian (or a journalist, or anyone telling a story) was forced to choose, out of an infinite number of facts, what to present, what to omit. And that decision inevitably would reflect, whether consciously or not, the interests of the historian.
    ― Howard Zinn, A People's History of the United States
    vkalia, sumanbhadra and socrates35 like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Chrono24 sellers often list items that they do not even have in stock, and then if you inquire not only is it not in stock but they often cannot get it. In the short amount of time I have been buying I ran into this a few times. I am sure some sellers are good, but others try to get your attention then cannot deliver.

It's just eBay for watches (not actual auctions, but you get the idea). The site itself is no better or worse than the specific buyer you're dealing with. Plenty of good buyers, some that aren't so great.

If you use the forum search (or just Google it), you'll find a ton of discussions on this.

Great for browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Great for browsing.
    Yup. I'd much rather buy off the forums

Isn't it just like classified adds, but centered around watches? I've looked at it because it come up frequently when you search for watch models in Google.
    It didn't seem interesting at all, meaning that, much like ebay, prices were high and having to deal with someone half way around the world to pay grey market price, or even higher, for a used watch seemed very risky for very little, if any, gain.

If I want a cheap watch I'll just buy it, not worth wasting time looking for bargain.

If I'm in the market for a higher end watch, why on earth would I send thousands of dollars to a total stranger before receiving anything? Do people actually do such things and expect to receive anything at all, let alone the watch that was described?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rangeman View Post
    Chrono24 sellers often list items that they do not even have in stock, and then if you inquire not only is it not in stock but they often cannot get it. In the short amount of time I have been buying I ran into this a few times. I am sure some sellers are good, but others try to get your attention then cannot deliver.
    This may not be what you encountered, but it's something to be aware of.

Grey market sellers quite often have reliable access to various watch models, but they don't necessarily keep them in stock. Watch brokers often enough have possession of nothing they are helping someone sell. That's neither good nor bad, per se, it's just how the business works.

All the best.
    Nokie and bb-man like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information