What is it with eBayt/PayPal?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is it with eBayt/PayPal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry What is it with eBayt/PayPal?

I recently sold an inexpensive watch ($58.00, incl. s/h) to a buyer in the UK. Shortly after receiving it, he emailed me stating that the watch was "not as described." His reason - my description mistakenly described the watch as having a screw down crown when it had a pull out crown!!! Therefore, not as described. He also mentioned an "unspecified defect", that he never specified. We exchanged several messages where I tried to make the case that, technically, he was correct, but it was not material and did not affect the operation of the watch. Well, he filed a case against me. PayPal notified me I had a negative balance of $58.00. I was in the process of paying for a watch, and I could not proceed until I transferred that amount to my account, which I did. Of course, eBay ruled against me, stating I was not a fault. Thank you! They returned the buyer's $58.00, and TOLD HIM HE COULD KEEP THE WATCH!!! They also gave me back my $58.00, which I found even more strange. So, I sold a watch, got $58.00 for it, and buyer got his money back and has a perfectly working watch to do what he wishes with it. Makes no sense at all. Maybe he will put it on eBay.UK! Anyone ever have this happening to them? What if the watch was much more expensive?
    Last edited by art1118; March 20th, 2013 at 03:47.

Re: What is it with eBayt/PayPal?

I recently sold a watch on ebay and the buyer sent an email stating it was "not as described" because the light did not work. Nowhere in my description does it even mention a light. Even though my listing says no returns, he is returning it and I will give him a refund.

Yours just sounds ridiculous, though.
    jaytaras and BusyTimmy like this.
    Official Rotation

IWC Portuguese 3714-45 \ Rolex Explorer 214270
    \ Omega Speedmaster Professional \ Rolex Submariner 114060 \ Breitling Transocean Chronograph \ Seiko Prospex SBDC051 \ Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15400ST \ Rolex Datejust 41 126300 \ Oris Aquis Clipperton \ IWC Aquatimer \ Ball Engineer III Legend \ Sinn 104 \ Seiko SARX055 \ Squale GMT \ Archimede Pilot 39 \ Sinn 556

Follow me on Instagram: mtravis38

I had a strange issue with PayPal also...but it was my fault.

I struck a deal with a UK seller for a Ulysse Nardin diver...I sent the cash, then found out he meant pounds not euro !!! So then he asked for $460 US more from me, I said no thanks....he then immediately returned the money to PayPal.

But they held it for 12 work days....the whole transaction between the buyer & me, took place in 45 minutes....but they kept my cash for a long time !
    "Picking the lesser of 2 evils...is still evil"

Doxa 800TI Pro & 600T Pro & DivingStar
    Damasko DA45 & DA36 & DC56
    Muhle Glasutte SAR
    Citizen PMT56-27"Tough" & PMU56-23"Ray Mears"
    Marathon GSAR
    --Helson Shark Diver40
    Omega SMP & 120m Baby Ploprof & AT 2500 & AT Railmaster
    Tutima DI300 & Pilot FX--Oris BC Regulator--Aquadive BS100 Bronze
    Halios Tropik B green
    --Hamilton Navy Diver
    Jorg Schauer Kleine Durowe & Kulisse Ed. 12

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The watch wasn't as described, and you wouldn't give a refund. I'm not surprised that you lost. I think you should have had the option to pay return shipping to get the watch back, but none of this would have happened if you'd just offered a refund in the first place when you discovered your error.

A screw-down crown is a meaningful feature, and promising a feature that isn't there is certainly grounds for a refund.
    DM71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post

A screw-down crown is a meaningful feature, and promising a feature that isn't there is certainly grounds for a refund.
    ++

Whether or not it was the actual reason, or an opportunity to exercise buyer's remorse, it's still a valid reason for "not as described", FWIW.

I used to have a thing about push-in crowns (didn't like them). After owning several quality watches with them, it's not a big deal. Everyone is different, though.

I think he has a point honestly. If you advertised a watch with a screw in crown but he received one without then its within his rights to return it, at your cost. Honestly the end result is very strange but id be happy if i were you. You could easily of ended up returning his payment and paying return shipping back to the USA from the UK (maybe more than the price of the watch) but instead you got to keep you 58 bucks!

Well, in terms of the description being inaccurate, I think you're in the wrong... As others have pointed out, a screw-down crown is a meaningful feature, and for some people, a deal-breaker. Your best move would have been to accept a return at that point.

That said, Paypal isn't supposed to enforce any refunds until you have received the item back, period. Sounds like issuing him a refund before he shipped it was a mistake on their part. I'm assuming somebody on their end screwed up by telling the buyer he didn't have to return it, and refunding him... Then more than likely their supervisor rectified the mistake by deciding to eat the relatively inexpensive amount, leaving things as they were with the buyer, and re-depositing the money into your account.

All in all, a situation that worked out well for everyone except Paypal...

Banned

Hmmmm.
    As others have said I think that the item not as described complaint is perfectly fair - the item wasn't as described.
    The outcome seems unlikely but assuming it is correct there must have been a mistake at PP.

Quote Originally Posted by art1118 View Post
    I recently sold an inexpensive watch ($58.00, incl. s/h) to a buyer in the UK. Shortly after receiving it, he emailed me stating that the watch was "not as described." His reason - my description mistakenly described the watch as having a screw down crown when it had a pull out crown!!! Therefore, not as described. He also mentioned an "unspecified defect", that he never specified. We exchanged several messages where I tried to make the case that, technically, he was correct, but it was not material and did not affect the operation of the watch. Well, he filed a case against me. PayPal notified me I had a negative balance of $58.00. I was in the process of paying for a watch, and I could not proceed until I transferred that amount to my account, which I did. Of course, eBay ruled against me, stating I was not a fault. Thank you! They returned the buyer's $58.00, and TOLD HIM HE COULD KEEP THE WATCH!!! They also gave me back my $58.00, which I found even more strange. So, I sold a watch, got $58.00 for it, and buyer got his money back and has a perfectly working watch to do what he wishes with it. Makes no sense at all. Maybe he will put it on eBay.UK! Anyone ever have this happening to them? What if the watch was much more expensive?
    Strange, I've heard of cases where they sellers loses the money but not gain it back. Lucky you.
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending".

Quote Originally Posted by art1118 View Post
    Not meant in a rude way but your post make no sense.

Ebay cant rule against you and state you arent at fault.

You were either at fault in which case they would rule against you or you werent at fault in which case they would find in your favor and rule against the buyer.

They also wouldnt refund both parties its one or the other.

Unless they have abandoned all rules of logic (its very possible), didn't refund the buyer or completely messed this up (again possible)

Something isn't right.
    Fiery the Angels Fell.

http://www.savewalterwhite.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information