To what extent does brand marketing influence your watch buying decisions?
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: To what extent does brand marketing influence your watch buying decisions?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

To what extent does brand marketing influence your watch buying decisions?

Every watch manufacturer needs to let potential customers know that they are out there and what they offer. This obviously comes at a cost (marketing) - which needs to be priced into the watches. In other words: Brands with high media presence are more expensive than "under the radar" brands. Hublot may be on one end of the spectrum and maybe Damasko (or any other WIS brand no body else outside this forum heard about) on the other. This results in two questions:

• How much does brand recognition play a role when you chose a watch?
    • Do you generally think "under the radar" watches are better value for money?

Background is: I really like a Bell and Ross watch right now but I perceive the watch as overpriced - probably partly due to their high marketing efforts.

Re: To what extent does brand marketing influence your watch buying decisions?

Only from an historical perspective. The brands I am most interested in are from companies that have been out of business for close to 50 years - or longer.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Yes, sad isn't it? That marketing is a necessary evil.

All things being equal, I'd rather buy the brand that spends less on marketing, in the hope that more money would have been spent on the watch-making process.

But I get a kick out of seeing a brand I own, or even the watch itself, in an ad in the papers. Further, marketing helps the brand increase its perceived value, which is closely tied to the prices of its watches, both new and used.
    'I reach for my watch from the bedside table and consider the dial - its rectitude, its innocence - then I understand the position of the hands and that, yes, rush-hour traffic will already have begun.' - Deborah Eisenberg, The Flaw in the Design

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is kind of a loaded question, first I believe you are referencing advertising and endorsements more than marketing. Marketing is many things and this forum is a great example, what is the most powerful form of marketing? word of mouth, it's all about strategy. Take example Omega, fantastic watch brand that probably spends more than any brand on advertising and celebrity endorsements.

It's not a bad thing, but it doesn't completely sway my buying decision, however it goes a long way for brand recognition which not only directly effects retail price but also used market price. I don't always buy brands like Omega, but when I do I hope to see advertising everywhere I look it will only help out later.

All else being equal, I would prefer that a watch be more affordably priced and forego marketing costs. Of course this is entirely unrealistic from an economic perspective.

Personally I don't have a problem with a brand advertising when its product is high quality. If the advertising is actually doing most of the work -- i.e., run-of-the-mill movement, solid but unexceptional finishing, then $5K+ price tag -- then that's when I think marketing takes on a strong negative flavor for me.

I wanna buy the watch after viewing this commercial. It's an automatic with moon phase that comes with 250 usd price tag.

For your questions:
    1. It depends. Double oh seven does not make me want to have an Omega. However, I deeply want to own a Rolex.

2. No. I own one Sinn, one Damasko, one Fortis. They all are overpriced. With the equal sum of money, I could buy watches from Oris or Mido which have the same function but cost only 50 % and are better recognized.

Its an interesting question, however I think in general (and this also applied to me once upon a time) people are influenced on what to buy by marketing and advertising when they're poorly educated on exactly what exists in the wonderful world of watches. I'm a perfect example, my first pricey watch was a TAG Heuer, I wanted a TAG and was really only interested in getting a TAG, because of their marketing. I was under the impression they were great watch, which of course they are pretty good, and I thought, and still think, that they look great. Next I wanted an automatic, taking the purchase to the next level, my brother had an Omega, I was obviously aware of Omegas through their advertising, and I looked for quite some time at various models before deciding on the Seamaster chrono.
    For the last 4-5 years Ive been very interested in watches, I'm much more aware of whats out there, the merits of many manufactures and brands, and the only thing that marketing affects is my potential disinterest in buying a watch from a brand that is overly marketed. I'd probably never buy another watch from under the Swatch stable because I'm not a fan of their buying out of everything they can in the watch world. I think the Bregeut La Tradition is one of the most beautiful watches around, but I'd prefer a Roger Dubuis for that amount of money even though they're not really in the same market segment. Who's heard of RD outside of a WIS?! Rolex...wouldnt buy one, I'd rather a Zenith.

I guess ive ranted a bit but my watch preferences arent influenced as much by superficial advertising like it probably once was because I'm more educated. When somebody comes to me and says that they this TAG, it usually makes me think...ooooh gees dont do what I did, you could get something so much more unique for the same money.
    Baume & Mercier Classima Executives 8875
    Omega Seamaster Chronograph Diver
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer quartz
    Seiko 5 Military
    Seiko 5 circa 1970s
    Baume & Mercier vintage
    Edox Supra vintage circa 1960s

It definitely has influence. And that goes with any luxury good. I don't drive a BMW because of the BMW badge, but it's not a bad feeling to drive a BMW, you know what I mean? Same thing with when I had a Volkswagen. It was a different feeling, but it was still a good feeling.

Even on a smaller scale than something like Bell and Ross--take Hamilton. It makes me feel good to wear an "American" watch that was based near where I grew up, even though it's now made by Swatch and is essentially Swiss.

To me, marketing isn't a problem until marketing is the only thing that is used to justify your prices. Take the K-word, for example. I look at their watches and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why their cheapest three hand watch is like 4 grand. That's not to say I wouldn't love a Comanche, but $4,000 for a watch that just uses a Valjoux 7750 is ridiculous. I mean, if it were a top grade 7750, they'd say so, don't you think?
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

PJR

Marketing can't help but influence your decisions. How can you buy a product if you do not know that it exists? The reason you know that it exists is marketing. Every product is marketed in one way or it wouldn't last very long. It's fashionable among the aficion who consider themselves "purists" to dismiss marketing with a roll of the eyes and an upward tilt of the nose but without it a great many watch companies wouldn't exist and even if they did the public wouldn't know they were there.
    Touring likes this.

Less known brands are definitely better value. People you know also affects buying choices a lot more than realised. For example if a relative you look up to/admire wears a particular brand this can make you want that brand too etc.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast