What is a good first watch to have in college?
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What is a good first watch to have in college?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

What is a good first watch to have in college?

I am graduating high school in a few weeks and have decided that it is time to get a nice watch. What is a good watch in the ~1000 usd range? I think I would prefer a leather band but besides that I don’t know. I want to be able to wear the watch with anything from jeans and a T-shirt/polo to a suit and have it not look out of place. Thank y’all and I am excited to be a part of the forum.
    Thanks,
    John

Re: What is a good first watch to have in college?

Welcome! You definitely don't need to spend out to the outer limits of your budget.

I would suggest that you look at the gray market and online sales to maximize your budget (not retail in other words).

Getting something with absolute versatility is hard if you're going to have activities where it might get banged around, but a $20 Timex or Casio to go along side would work for those times. I'd look at brands like Tissot, Hamilton, Victorinox Swiss Army, Christopher Ward, Certina (online only in the US, but same parent company as Tissot, Hamilton etc.), and I wouldn't count out Citizen or Seiko, especially if you want an easy "Grab and go" watch.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Get something that if lost or stolen, earns a shrug.
    Toothbras and gooseman417 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

get a rolex

Quote Originally Posted by John0 View Post
    I am graduating high school in a few weeks and have decided that it is time to get a nice watch. What is a good watch in the ~1000 usd range? I think I would prefer a leather band but besides that I don’t know. I want to be able to wear the watch with anything from jeans and a T-shirt/polo to a suit and have it not look out of place. Thank y’all and I am excited to be a part of the forum.
    Thanks,
    John
    How do you define a "good watch"? A dress watch? A chrono? A diver?

Without knowing these parameters I can suggest this one:

It does have a leather strap...
    briang583 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    Welcome! You definitely don't need to spend out to the outer limits of your budget.

I would suggest that you look at the gray market and online sales to maximize your budget (not retail in other words).

Getting something with absolute versatility is hard if you're going to have activities where it might get banged around, but a $20 Timex or Casio to go along side would work for those times. I'd look at brands like Tissot, Hamilton, Victorinox Swiss Army, Christopher Ward, Certina (online only in the US, but same parent company as Tissot, Hamilton etc.), and I wouldn't count out Citizen or Seiko, especially if you want an easy "Grab and go" watch.
    I agree that it would be a good idea to have something inexpensive when I am out doing activities where it could get banged up. The Timex/Casio recommendation will definitely be used. Ihave been looking at the Hamilton and Tissot quite a bit for when I want to wear something nicer. Would a used watch that would normally be out of my price range new be something I should look at as well?

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! And, welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the graduation. I would first choose what style of watch you like: dress, dive, sport, chronograph, etc. From there you could narrow it down to the brand/look that suits you and then you can ask the forum some more specific questions that come up during your search. There's a lot of watches that can go with any attire depending on color.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Get something that if lost or stolen, earns a shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by cuthbert View Post

I considered that point before deciding my price range. It will always earn more than a shrug. Even if it a $20 Timex. Getting a nice watch is something I have wanted to do for awhile and I decided that it was worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by John0 View Post
    Thanks,
    John
    How do you define a "good watch"? A dress watch? A chrono? A diver?

Without knowing these parameters I can suggest this one:

It does have a leather strap...
    I would like to get a chrono.

Something quartz so you won't need to worry about setting it every week or after you haven't worn it for a couple days. You'll have other stuff on your mind. Tag is a good college choice.
    CRetzloff likes this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information