What are the grounds for pricing a watch that we as buyers can appreciate?

Thread: What are the grounds for pricing a watch that we as buyers can appreciate?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post What are the grounds for pricing a watch that we as buyers can appreciate?

I was thinking about the prices of some watches I was interested in and I came up with 3 :

1) Degree of craftsmanship. What I mean is the degree of hand polishing and decoration, whether of the markers, hands or behind in the displayed movement.

2) Complications in the movement.

3) Precious metals

Now I'll talk about a few brands as examples which are purely my perception. If I'm factually wrong, feel free to correct. I'm doing this thread just to get the view of others and help my own decision making by considering the 3 areas above and maybe more if others can chip in. With this hopefully I can strip away the more abstract criteria and focus on a more measurable assessment.

Patek & ALS - all of the above. In fact I understand ALS does not have one stainless steel model. Rolex, while the movements are tested and reliable, they don't really score in (1) and (2). In decoration of movements, they have no display case backs. Honestly, I see Rolex trying to price themselves higher with more emphasis on (3), which to me well.....anyone can do that. What about brands like Tag. Tag doesn't score heavily in all 3, and for that I appreciate their price points being in the middle range. Tag does sufficient in all 3 areas and hit the sweet spot very well, in my books. Panerai, now this fella to me is pushing hard at raising their prices, and sadly they aren't scoring in any of the above. Makes me think twice about spending $10k+ on say a PAM 305 (love the look of this watch!).

So, that's all I wanna say, please chime in. Don't start brand battles, reason out the broad criterial as the thread title says.
    Last edited by Rachdanon; October 10th, 2013 at 14:23.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: What are the grounds for pricing a watch that we as buyers can appreciate?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
    ?....In fact I understand ALS does not have one stainless steel model....
    Well, those knowing a bit more about the ALS history would disagree. A. Lange & Söhne produced a handful of steel Lange 1 models that are very, very rare. One of these watches, released early in the production cycle of the model, came up for auction at Christie’s in New York this year and fetched 120.000 Euro. ALS has not confirmed yet exactly how many of the steel models were made, but apparently they were all created upon request from various clients and retailers, including the Italian company Orlogeria Pisa, Milano.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Many companies go to great lengths to make their movements superbly accurate even when subjected to high water pressure, mechanical impacts, magnetism, several days without winding, space-walks, etc. Inevitably this comes at a price and it certainly influences how much I appreciate different brands..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Given your criteria, I generally agree with what you are saying for higher priced watches.

If I am spending a large amount of money on a watch, then your requirements 1) and 2) are important to me and I would look to brands you suggested (i.e. ALS and Patek). For this reason I would not buy a gold Rolex as the movements are typically the same as the steel versions, but their price increase is significant.

However for watches that are less about "haute horlogerie" and more sporty/tool watches, then my criteria changes. I put more emphasis on reliability, durability and functionality of the entire watch (movement and exterior). In this arena I think some mid range brands such as Rolex excel versus the sporty watches from typical "haute" brands.
    Last edited by cedargrove; October 10th, 2013 at 15:51.

Everyone making and selling a products sells it for as much money as the market will bear.

Banned

...Panerai, now this fella to me is pushing hard at raising their prices, and sadly they aren't scoring in any of the above. Makes me think twice about spending $10k+ on say a PAM 305 (love the look of this watch!)...
    So if Panerai fails to meet any of your criteria, yet they find enough buyers to purchase at their price point, doesn't that indicate the validity of this...

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    Everyone making and selling a products sells it for as much money as the market will bear.

The 'name' of the brand plays a large part in the cost of a watch too.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, those knowing a bit more about the ALS history would disagree. A. Lange & Söhne produced a handful of steel Lange 1 models that are very, very rare. One of these watches, released early in the production cycle of the model, came up for auction at Christie’s in New York this year and fetched 120.000 Euro. ALS has not confirmed yet exactly how many of the steel models were made, but apparently they were all created upon request from various clients and retailers, including the Italian company Orlogeria Pisa, Milano.
    I heard some of the SS were use as loaner watch while the customer's watch are being serviced by Lange.

Patek & ALS - all of the above. In fact I understand ALS does not have one stainless steel model. Rolex, while the movements are tested and reliable, they don't really score in (1) and (2). In decoration of movements, they have no display case backs. Honestly, I see Rolex trying to price themselves higher with more emphasis on (3), which to me well.....anyone can do that. What about brands like Tag. Tag doesn't score heavily in all 3, and for that I appreciate their price points being in the middle range. Tag does sufficient in all 3 areas and hit the sweet spot very well, in my books. Panerai, now this fella to me is pushing hard at raising their prices, and sadly they aren't scoring in any of the above. Makes me think twice about spending $10k+ on say a PAM 305 (love the look of this watch!).
    I'd agree with your post except the part about S/S Lange is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post

This is basically irrelevant, and the OP is right - ALS doesn't work with steel. They made an unknown but very small number of 1's that are so rare, their worth is greater than a platinum model.

So, they're not really steel - they're unobtanium.
    Influence is like the wind...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information