What Have You Discovered That's Cool to You? Homage and Thanks to Some and Sharing With All
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What Have You Discovered That's Cool to You? Homage and Thanks to Some and Sharing With All

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What Have You Discovered That's Cool to You? Homage and Thanks to Some and Sharing With All

Background:
    I started perusing WUS to learn about stuff that I'd not found on my own. I had a fair knowledge base of my own about the watches I and my small circle of watchie friends buy/wear, but outside that, and the occasional article I'd read, I knew almost nothing about watches outside that very limited sample set. Reading here has certainly broadened my perspective, to say nothing of just general awareness of what's actually out there to be had, particularly in the "affordable" range. I had, for example, heretofore, never heard of Invicta, Orient, Sea Gull, or myriad other brands I often see mentioned here. So TY to the great many folks who've shared this or that about sensibly priced stuff.

I don't know that I want to buy an Invicta, for example, but it's nice to know they are around. Other very approachable brands, however, do have stuff that catches my eye and I love they exist and make possible the ability to expand one's collection, and express one's style, quite dramatically without going broke to do so. I can safely say I'd never have felt safe buying most any of them had I not seen positive things said about them here or on another forum. So again, TY.

As someone who mostly just knew the big brand names and a small smattering of pricey micro-brands, that's a major boon. A great many lovely, and very affordable pieces just aren't in department stores and any/every jewelery boutique on happens to pass/enter. Too, I had no idea that chronos were anywhere near as popular as they seem to be here. I still don't know how popular they are overall. I just know my friends and I prefer simpler watches. For us, that's just preference, nothing more or less than that. Yet it's still interesting to learn that such is a current trend. So to the chrono folks, TY, too.

One of the things that I've enjoyed most about participating here is that it's been a fast and relatively efficient way to discover a lot of new watch options. It's cause me to even re-think just what tack I want to follow in my own collecting. Not too dramatic a change, mind you, but nonetheless a change to what was a fairly monolithic model that I'd had in mind.

This Thread's Purpose:
    What watches have you found somewhat recently or as a result of WUS member input that you like and that you'd never heard of? As stated above, I've found quite a few things I didn't know existed until I read something here from another member. Sometimes they mentioned a brand unknown to me and I discovered something. Sometimes it was a watch they pictured and even though I didn't like that watch, I checked out the brand and found something appealing. I'm by no means suggesting that I'll purchase all the new discoveries, but knowing about them at least makes them contenders. Plus, the holiday season is coming, so I thought this thread may be useful for myself and others who may want ideas. So, please do share your new discoveries. It doesn't matter why something appeals to you, whether or not you own it, or what it costs, or what's inside it. This is a place to share. So here goes:

Some Affordables:
    Raza mentioned this. I'd never heard of them before that.

A Custom Made to Order Watch Most Folks Can Afford:
    Blancier - This company is a ton of fun and super cool to me. They have a web configurator from which you pick the elements of a watch and create your own. Check it out; it's a hoot. (Blancier - Lottermann & Söhne) The price on the watches you can design for yourself seem to run form about $2K to $5K, depending on what bits you choose, from among their offerings of case, dials, movements, straps, bezels and hands, and you can watch the price change as you swap parts in and out. I wasted a good 20 minutes playing with that thing. LOL.

They also make one of a kind watches call Grand Cru (below) that run about $1000 USD. Rainbow of colors and no two are alike. Love both concepts.

One that I just think is super sexy:
    DiverBob and drhr like this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: What Have You Discovered That's Cool to You? Homage and Thanks to Some and Sharing With All

Yes, I discovered a watch @ WUS
    It's from a brand that I know but never really cared for
    When I ear that brand name I think "quartz"
    It's not that cheap @ around 1000$
    If you ask to non wis they would say that it's lower-end than a mall Seiko
    Even in here I've only seen that model 2 or 3 times

I'm not going to buy it...but felt attracted to it.
    Done some search, read a few things about that model, open the brand's web page for the first time...
    And just thought: that's a really WIS watch

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Re: What Have You Discovered That's Cool to You? Homage and Thanks to Some and Sharing With All

G.Gerlach RWD 6
    The affordables market is filled with dive watches and copies so this refreshing take on a Pilot watch has gotten my attention lately.
    DiverBob, tony20009, drhr and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AAMC View Post
    Yes, I discovered a watch @ WUS
    It's from a brand that I know but never really cared for
    When I ear that brand name I think "quartz"
    It's not that cheap @ around 1000$
    If you ask to non wis they would say that it's lower-end than a mall Seiko
    Even in here I've only seen that model 2 or 3 times

I'm not going to buy it...but felt attracted to it.
    Done some search, read a few things about that model, open the brand's web page for the first time...
    And just thought: that's a really WIS watch

come on..spill

Quote Originally Posted by mikeylacroix View Post
    come on..spill
    OK...It's the ultimate WIS watch on it's price range...so cool
    (Googled pics)

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    G.Gerlach RWD 6
    The affordables market is filled with dive watches and copies so this refreshing take on a Pilot watch has gotten my attention lately.
    This is a beautiful watch!

Quote Originally Posted by AAMC View Post
    OK...It's the ultimate WIS watch on it's price range...so cool
    (Googled pics)

u know whats funny? i did think u were gonna say citizen (coz' of the mall seiko reference)
    but they are fantastic value!!
    the pic u posted is the model i always play with whenever i'm at the airport
    probably will get it someday...

Yep, probably would've taken me a lot longer to discover Bremont if not for WUS sub forum. Perfect size, plain, simple, basic but oh so lovely to my eye (pic courtesy www) . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

tony20009 and MusicPDX like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Meraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

Discovered Halios and the aptly names Puck;

Unfortunately they don't sell it anymore and I didn't manage to get one.
    tony20009 and MusicPDX like this.

WUS introduced me to Orient, and my Mako is one of my favoritist watches of all time and forever.

-hayday
    Fi33pop and lightcycle1 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information