What I learned from buying a watch I don't like
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What I learned from buying a watch I don't like

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What I learned from buying a watch I don't like

I made what I thought was a low bid on ebay for a watch that looked interesting to me. I'm a noob and still learning. On of my strategies in any new endeavor is to make a lot of cheap mistakes. I learn faster that way. Maybe the watch should remain nameless. It's not it's fault. But here's what I know now.

1. I don't want a day function. I've reminded myself that I didn't like this when I was a kid. Still don't like it.
    2. Watches with mechanical movements that cannot be wound are just weird. Yes, it's automatic, but I want to also be able to pick it up and wind it. I'll never knowingly buy another non-electric watch that cannot be wound.
    3. Blue faces are not for me. Yes, it can look nice, but it seems so confining. I don't always wear blue.
    4. Date functions should only be on quartz watches. I don't mind setting the time when I pick a watch up, but also having to set the date somehow is just too much trouble for a lazy guy.
    5. The face can be too small. And it's not just a function of millimeters. I have other watches this size or smaller, but this one just 'looks' too small.

I suppose some will argue, but this is just me. I've never sold a watch before, but after wearing this for two weeks it may be time.

Good lessons and part of the fun of the hobby. It eats even more interesting as your tastes evolve and you find yourself breaking your own rules.
    Borealis Adraga
    AQ4020-54X / 03E
    GF-8251K, GMW-B5000D/TB/TFC,
    GWF-D1000NV,
    IW356501
    MKII x HALO Airborne, Hellion, PMWF Graywater GMT
    Oris Carl Brashear Bronze
    PP5711
    SBDX013, SBGA001, SPB089

116610LV, 116520

Your strategy for teaching yourself sounds better than mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: What I learned from buying a watch I don't like

Everyone will make mistakes when starting a new endeavour. It's a good philosophy to accept this as you do.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Seiko 5?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by loki_the_bubba View Post
    I made what I thought was a low bid on ebay for a watch that looked interesting to me. I'm a noob and still learning. On of my strategies in any new endeavor is to make a lot of cheap mistakes. I learn faster that way. Maybe the watch should remain nameless. It's not it's fault. But here's what I know now.

1. I don't want a day function. I've reminded myself that I didn't like this when I was a kid. Still don't like it.
    2. Watches with mechanical movements that cannot be wound are just weird. Yes, it's automatic, but I want to also be able to pick it up and wind it. I'll never knowingly buy another non-electric watch that cannot be wound.
    3. Blue faces are not for me. Yes, it can look nice, but it seems so confining. I don't always wear blue.
    4. Date functions should only be on quartz watches. I don't mind setting the time when I pick a watch up, but also having to set the date somehow is just too much trouble for a lazy guy.
    5. The face can be too small. And it's not just a function of millimeters. I have other watches this size or smaller, but this one just 'looks' too small.

I suppose some will argue, but this is just me. I've never sold a watch before, but after wearing this for two weeks it may be time.

lvt

It sounds like a Seiko ?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by LJUSMC View Post
    Seiko 5?

LOL
    SNX805

lvt

SNX805
    Like this ?

Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    Like this ?

Exactly

Nothing like learning the hard way...I've definitely made my share of mistakes when it comes to buying.

My main lesson is to NOT be emotional or too excited when buying a watch. Emotions are fickle things. What gets you excited today may not be true later on. It's always best to stick to the tried and true when it comes to buying. For instance, if you traditionally like a particular type of watch, stick with it, there's a reason why that is. And when you venture to new brands, go with the brand that's more popular/commercial. If you buy something unpopular and you get tired of it, guess what? You will have a hell of a time trying to sell it.
    Last edited by lorsban; February 20th, 2012 at 09:03.
    Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Panerai
    PAM 112
    Rolex Two-Tone Datejust
    Omega Constellation C-Shape Vintage
    Anonimo D-Date II
    Concord Impresario
    Seiko Sumo
    Casio MDV106

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information