What If? Here's Something to Ponder....
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What If? Here's Something to Ponder....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What If? Here's Something to Ponder....

What if Swatch were to move ETA into to being a full on watch brand? Instantly there would be a new manufacture watch maker who produces/produced movements that are a well known, trusted and respected commodity. I can just hear the marketing lines:
    • Buy ETA, the watch so good that X% of all the watches you've ever heard of use our movements.
    • ETA, the power behind [insert your uppity brand name of choice] for over X years, now offers its own line of watches. Introducing the ETA XYZ model.
    • ETA, the watch for people who prefer substance to status. (veiled images of competing brands coming and going in the TV ads. Or of several brands stationary in print ads.O

Would you buy one? What would become your opinion of all the brands that have ETA inside if that were to happen? What would happen to the brands who use ETA inside?

Thoughts welcomed. I have my own that I'll share when I have more time. (You know me, no short posts. LOL)

All the best.
    drhr likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: What If? Here's Something to Ponder....

I'm not going to "ponder" that.

Swatch would probably rebrand it like Lemania into Manufacture de Haute Horlogerie Breguet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would continue doing exactly as I have thus far, buying watches that appeal to me for one reason or another that fall within my range of affordability. If ETA put out something I considered worth the money, I would put it on my list. My opinion of brands using ETA wouldn't change. What would happen to these brands, I couldn't say.
    tony20009 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    Swatch would probably rebrand it like Lemania into Manufacture de Haute Horlogerie Breguet.
    I'm not entirely sure just what you mean. Are you suggesting they would dilute the image and products of some other grand, storied brand? Are you suggesting you think they would improve the products of some other grand, storied brand? Or are you taking exception with the fact that Lemania were already making some movements for Breguet even prior to the Swatch acquisition of both organizations?

I'm uncertain because I don't really see a problem with Swatch designating Lemania as the maker of Breguet movements, or at least some of them, especially if Lemania has a more efficient process than do/did Breguet for cranking out the movements needed for the more basic and lower priced offerings. That sounds like a good business decision to me. I hardly would like to see a company like Breguet go belly-up, so if that what it takes to keep them afloat, so be it.

All the best.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure just what you mean. Are you suggesting they would dilute the image and products of some other grand, storied brand? Are you suggesting you think they would improve the products of some other grand, storied brand? Or are you taking exception with the fact that Lemania were already making some movements for Breguet even prior to the Swatch acquisition of both organizations?

I'm uncertain because I don't really see a problem with Swatch designating Lemania as the maker of Breguet movements, or at least some of them, especially if Lemania has a more efficient process than do/did Breguet for cranking out the movements needed for the more basic and lower priced offerings. That sounds like a good business decision to me. I hardly would like to see a company like Breguet go belly-up, so if that what it takes to keep them afloat, so be it.

All the best.
    It is a sound business decision, Richemont did something similar with Montblanc and Minerva. What I am suggesting is that if Swatch were to make ETA into a full watch brand, marketing would not be centered on the history or provenance of ETA (especially since Eterna is not part of the group) but that of the zombie brand the group chose to pair with ETA. How this pairing will affect the "new" brand will depend on where in the hierarchy Swatch places it and how public perception of the brand is crafted but ETA as a brand would cease to exist.
    Last edited by mew88; October 29th, 2013 at 11:34.
    rbuck82 likes this.

If they want to up ETA's image, perhaps a better intiative would be to add an "ETA inside" engraving to watches that have their movements. They can start with the Swatch brands. Perhaps perceptio can be moved from "mere" commodity movement to something desired for proven quality and reliability.
    tony20009 likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    I'm not going to "ponder" that.
    This.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I'd not buy one. I already have an ETA movement in a piece.

The name on the dial means a lot less to me than the name on the movement.
    Last edited by movet22; October 29th, 2013 at 16:20.
    Außerordentliche übel erfordern außerordentliche Mittel.

Rolex - Jaeger LeCoultre - Nomos - v. Seiko - Burberry

Wasn't Eterna ETA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information