What inaccuracy can you live with?
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: What inaccuracy can you live with?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

What inaccuracy can you live with?

Why would I not be bothered with a £12k IWC Big Pilot normatively gaining 15seconds a day yet be annoyed by a Digi-radio-solar if it was out a second a day? What does that say about this hobby?

s

Edit: to clarify - I dont own an IWC, but been thinking of getting one if the Rolex Sports never arrive
    Last edited by Simon; March 24th, 2019 at 16:35.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

Re: What inaccuracy can you live with?

Cause you don't have either watch.

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Hazy Davy likes this.

It depends on what I spent on the watch. I have different expectations from my Omega SMP than from my Seiko Samurai. But if I were REALLY honest with myself, I'd admit that it doesn't matter. I have a lot of automatic watches that I rotate and no winders, so by the time a watch comes up again, it's usually dead and has to be set anyway. As long as it's not losing a minute in a 12 hour period, I probably wouldn't notice. As for quartz, my expectation are mainly centered around he second hand hitting the markers
    LaneP and Botani like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    Cause you don't have either watch. Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    ?????

I have 3 Radio Solar Syncs (2G's & a Seiko) and am annoyed if they dont sync and are a second or two out - I have opportunity to buy an IWC Big Pilot Mk1 - just serviced at a great price and after reading a few reviews it seems IWC are happy for it to be inaccurate. And I have convinced myself I'd be OK with that level of inaccuracy on a very expensive watch - even as I am content with my $6k SLA025 running +7 but wouldnt be with my $600, SSG001 running a second fast.

just asking - seems a strange logic I, and perhaps others here follow
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Simon; March 24th, 2019 at 16:32.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" Jim Elliot - Missionary, Martyr

With mechanical watches I really want them to be less than +/- 15 sec/day. Anything exceeding that and I lose confidence in them (it's a mental thing). With quartz, they are always more accurate than I need and all I've owned have never lost or gained as much as their specs indicate they could (on average being about +/- 15 sec/month).
    CoachRockne and Munchie like this.

For me it depends on the purpose of the watch.

For a daily watch I’d prefer it to be reasonably accurate.

Beach/lake beater can vary more as I don’t wear often or for long periods.

I too have had the same issue with my solar atomic G.

Syncing seems to be random now....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gav1230 likes this.

Don't really care too much. I do check them, but that is more out of curiosity and just for s & g's. My least accurate is also my least expensive. My Samurai is normally about +25 or so, but I constantly rotate so I don't care. Now, if I was a one watch guy, it would absolutely matter to me.
    Omega: Aqua Terra 220.10.41.21.03.001
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV205
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    G Shock: MTG-B1000D-1A,
    GW-9400-3, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-1, GX-56BB, GW-B5000FB-4JR, GW-M5610MW-7JF, GW-B5600BC-1ER, GW-B5600-2ER, GW-B5600HR-1

Quartz - less than a second every 2 days.
    Automatic - 15 seconds a day.

The only watch I have an issue with is my Tissot T-Touch expert Solar, it seems to lose around 10 seconds a month which bothers me when I haven't worn it for a while and I pick it up again. I usually adjust it. But the wealth of features is great on it and it's the only watch I own that is really big, unless I count my Monaco which is more chunky ie. thick.

My only watch that is really accurate apart from my G-Shock radio controlled is also my least favourite: the Bulova precisionist.
    Last edited by Dreamnine; March 24th, 2019 at 16:58.

I don't bother checking the accuracy of my quartz watches. The only time I adjust them is if the month has less than 31 days, or when changing to/from DST. My GW-5000 syncs reliably with the signal from Ft Collins, so when I do adjust the others, the GW-5000 is the standard I use.

My automatics vary from + 0.4 sec/day to around + 25 sec/day, but because they are in rotation, I don't wear most of them enough days in succession for even the least inaccurate of them to get far from correct time.

I did once own a very famous Swiss chronograph whose name I won't mention, which greatly disappointed me by gaining 45 seconds/day out of the box. It was eventually regulated to 6 sec/day, but my faith in the brand was pretty shaken regarding their "precision" and attention to details. I kept asking myself "how could they let something like this get out the door?"
    Dreamnine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron521 View Post
    I did once own a very famous Swiss chronograph whose name I won't mention, which greatly disappointed me by gaining 45 seconds/day out of the box. It was eventually regulated to 6 sec/day, but my faith in the brand was pretty shaken regarding their "precision" and attention to details. I kept asking myself "how could they let something like this get out the door?"
    I once bought a brand new Zenith El Primero Rainbow chrono - I loved it until it died the following day!!!!! Something slipped n jammed inside. They swapped it immediately for a slightly better model Zenith Rainbow 'Flyback' - beautiful & accurate - but I spent months looking at it expecting it to die - it didn't and kept perfect time - but flipped it for peace of mind.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information