What a joke... "Give Me Money To Buy A Rolex"

Thread: What a joke... "Give Me Money To Buy A Rolex"

LM1

What a joke... "Give Me Money To Buy A Rolex"

From an "online auction". Not going to post a link or the title because I don't want to dignify this nonsense with any hits.

BUY IT NOW: US $5.00
    QUANTITY: 1562 Available

BIDDING ON THIS AUCTION WILL, I HOPE, GIVE YOU THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING YOU PERSONALLY HELPED A HARD WORKING FATHER OF TWO AFFORD HIS TIME PIECE DREAM.

YOU ARE BIDDING ON:
    • A FUND TO ALLOW ME TO FULLY PURCHASE AND PLACE ONE OF THESE FINE TIMEPIECES ON MY WRIST.
    WHAT YOU GET:
    • MY EARNEST GRATITUDE
    • THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING THAT; EVERY TIME I LOOK AT THE LOVELY WATCH, I WILL HAVE YOU FINE PEOPLE TO THANK.
    • A PERSONAL "THANK YOU" E-MAIL FROM ME.
    • PROVIDED I GATHER ENOUGH TO PURCHASE A FINE SEA-DWELLER, I WILL E-MAIL YOU A HIGH QUALITY DIGITAL PICTURE OF THE WATCH ON MY WRIST.
    Now, I totally understand what is compelling about high end watches to certain people. Yes, they represent different things to different people, but there is definitely a draw there. I own a Rolex, multiple vintage Zeniths, a couple Omegas and an IWC. Yes, these watches raise some real and valid philosophical questions regarding the meaning of money, but they are fun and intriguing. Still, I fully acknowledge that they're an extravagance that I am able to enjoy because I am able to afford it.

If someone can't afford to buy a Rolex out of their own disposable income, that means that even if they're lucky enough to have five grand fall into their lap, the money would be better placed elsewhere.
    But there is no question that this guy would actually use the money to buy the watch.
    Last edited by LM1; May 13th, 2007 at 04:09.

LTH

Re: What a joke... "Give Me Money To Buy A Rolex"

why send money to this guy ? send me directly your watches and i'll give you back also gratitude, thanks, digital picture AND .... a video where I say "thank you" with your name.... PLUS.... a letter from my own hand (not a novalue email)...
    Swatch Sistem 51 Arrow (custom bracelet), Bulova Snorkel 96B209, Seiko SSA174K1 "unicorn" 4R37, Seiko SKA465P1 Kinetic 5M62-0CH0, Alpha Sundial Black, Seiko "SPØRK" SRP043K1, MQJ submariner, Casio WVA-430, Citizen diver NY2300-09EB, Seiko 5 SNXS77K (7S26) , Casio Protrek PRT-500 , Swatch Beat webmaster , vintage Seiko 5 (1972 defective) various Casio, Pulsar, Yonger&Bresson all anadigit and a Fossil WristPda:oops:

It's amazing the lengths some people go to. Do let everyone know whether or not this person actually succeeds in their venture.

I wonder if they'll post a mail in a couple of years time asking to help raise money to get the watch serviced!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I actually give the guy credit for trying. Anyone willing to send him money has the problem, not him. This guy might very well have the ability to afford the watch, but no real desire to spend his own money for it....

I find these sorts of "sales" to be quite amusing. Other things that have been "sold" on online auction sites include an air guitar, an open bucket of London tap water, and a jar full of fresh sea air from somewhere in Northeastern USA....

Actually, I don't really see the problem here. If you're not into it, don't buy in. The guy is being completely up front about what he's after, and isn't engaging in any sort of dishonesty. There are plenty of less honorable ways of using auction sites to generate funds for a Rolex, or anything else for that matter.

Would I do it? No. I doubt I would contribute, either. But let's keep it in perspective, the guy's not trying to sell fake watches or pirated DVDs, which I personally think is morally troublesome (at best).

And let's keep in mind that being able to afford something does not automatically come with the moral high ground.

Just two more cents...

-Michael
    Michael Zenner
    Portland, OR USA (GMT -7, sometimes -8)

Time, Time Time, See what's become of me! -P. Simon

It'll be very interesting to see how far he gets with this aution. If he said $2, I might do it for grins and his effort but as other said, I think any person that can competently develop and stick to a realistic savings plan can afford a seadweller.

That reminds me of something else... there's this artist who recently found a Polaroid of comedian Carlos Mencia posing with two random fans and he is auctioning it off for US $1,000,000 (milliondollarpolaroid.com). Just to see if he can. And to get a million dollars, of course. He's calling it "art".

Quote Originally Posted by Alljay View Post
    ....I find these sorts of "sales" to be quite amusing. Other things that have been "sold" on online auction sites include an air guitar, an open bucket of London tap water, and a jar full of fresh sea air from somewhere in Northeastern USA....
    Best I ever saw on the bay was an auction a few years ago for a King James Bible signed by Jesus. In the listing the seller stated that whilst he was no expert, he had no reason to doubt the authenticity of the inscription on the title page, which read: "Keep on truckin', love, Jesus!" The whole thing was quite well done with photographs and everything, however a few folk failed to see the humor in it and complained, so eBay pulled it. I wonder what they make of brazen begging for cash to buy a Sea-Dweller?
    Martin

Thread Information