What kind of watch is this and is this a good deal?

Thread: What kind of watch is this and is this a good deal?

What kind of watch is this and is this a good deal?

Im new to watches but found this one on ebay and just wanted to know a little bit about it b/c i tried to research the watch but can't find a similar one out there and there is no brand name. The description doesn't have that much on it so i was just asking you guys on your opinion on it.
    It is listed as: BLACK PVD SKELETON SWISS ETA 6497 6498 MOVEMENT SWISS BLACK PVD CASE SAPPHIRE GL

BLACK PVD SKELETON SWISS ETA 6497 6498 MOVEMENT SWISS BLACK PVD CASE SAPPHIRE GL | eBay

Also, is that a fair price for this type of watch?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What kind of watch is this and is this a good deal?

That really is a great looking watch. It's an Aroma "Swiss made" watch, but I believe that this is made in Hong Kong.

It's a nice watch, but I wouldn't dish out $700 for this. If you look hard enough, you can find something along those lines for cheaper and Swiss, unless that's in your price range.

yeah Im kinda concerned b/c it says with out tags. Do you know exactly what that means?
    Why do you believe it was made in Hong Kong? Just curious.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

its a Nice Looking Watch But i Dont think its Worth $700

Why do you believe it was made in Hong Kong? Just curious.
    An awful lot of "Swiss Made" product comes out of Asia, especially the cheaper stuff that you've never heard of before. The qualification for "Swiss Made" is not especially rigorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    An awful lot of "Swiss Made" product comes out of Asia, especially the cheaper stuff that you've never heard of before. The qualification for "Swiss Made" is not especially rigorous.
    Thanks for the heads up, I would have never know that.

Thanks for the reply Sniper 55, second person to say that.

It is probably a re-cased 6498 from a pocket watch. That's what most of his watches are.

It looks just like a factory skeletonized Unitas. I have one in gold that I'm using for a project right now that it is identical. The marking would be just under the rim of the case back.

Many pocket watches in the 70's and 80's used a 6497 or 6498, and people re-case them to wristwatches all the time. If you shopped around for the pieces, you could probably put that watch together for less than half of his asking price, but it would take a little digging. Brand new pieces from Otto Frei would run you about 2/3 of his price.

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    I thought 'swiss made' criteria is more stringent than 'german made' or 'Italy made'? They require 51% swiss assemble and swiss component to qualify 'swiss made'. While most of the low end 'german made' watch are basically only 1% real german component or German labour imput..

That is why some watch put 'swiss movt' instead of 'swiss made' since they do not qualify the 51%...
    Last edited by Triton9; September 2nd, 2012 at 18:38.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Thread Information