What level of Accuracy is acceptable to you?

View Poll Results: At what point would you return a new watch?

Voters
124. This poll is closed
  • Looses more than 1 second per week. (More for gain)

1 0.81%
  • Looses more than 1 second per day. (More for gain)

0 0%
  • Looses more than 3 seconds per day. (More for gain)

3 2.42%
  • Looses more than 5 seconds per day. (More for gain)

6 4.84%
  • Looses more than 10 seconds per day. (More for gain)

2 1.61%
  • Looses more than 15 seconds per day. (More for gain)

6 4.84%
  • Looses more than 30 seconds per day. (More for gain)

5 4.03%
  • Looses more than 1 minute per day or greater. (More for gain)

4 3.23%
  • Looses OR gains more than 1 second per week.

1 0.81%
  • Looses OR gains more than 1 second per day.

4 3.23%
  • Looses OR gains more than 3 seconds per day.

0 0%
  • Looses OR gains more than 5 seconds per day.

19 15.32%
  • Looses OR gains more than 10 seconds per day.

19 15.32%
  • Looses OR gains more than 15 seconds per day.

21 16.94%
  • Looses OR gains more than 30 seconds per day.

14 11.29%
  • Looses OR gains more than 1 minute per day or greater.

15 12.10%
  • Would not return.

4 3.23%

Thread: What level of Accuracy is acceptable to you?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What level of Accuracy is acceptable to you?

I have a feeling this may have been asked before, but couldn't find anything in my search so here goes.

At what level would you RETURN a MECHANICAL watch? I'm talking new watches here, as vintages can vary quite a bit.
    Last edited by TNT13; November 23rd, 2009 at 21:26.
    How to choose an HDTV (A step by step guide)

How to decipher Rolexspeak:
    Perpetual means Automatic; Datejust lets you adjust the date; A Superlative Chronometre is COSC certified; A Rolex President has an adjustable day and date

Re: What level of Accuracy is acceptable to you?

Well, it still depends. I've got a new Vostok that does around +40/50s a day but that's fine with me. But I would surely not accept it on a watch that costs 10 times as much..

beshannon

COSC spec is acceptable

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Burnham View Post
    Well, it still depends. I've got a new Vostok that does around +40/50s a day but that's fine with me. But I would surely not accept it on a watch that costs 10 times as much..
    +1 For the average affordable anything less than a minute a day is pretty ok for me. I rotate my watches so I only really need it to be accurate enough to not cause a problem for 1 day. My worst is my aviator at around 25 seconds a day.

If I was buying a Rolex or something though I'd expect it to be less than 10.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

I think it depends largely on the watch. For example on a Vintage watch that you really want, you might find that you will tolerate an erratic movement, because you know it is ineed of an overhaul. then again on a brand new quartz loosing 5 second a day, you would have a cow then of course there is everything in between.

Personally on a new or serviced mechanical I'm happy with +/- 15 seconds per day. the reason is that i rarely wear a watch for more than one or two days, so that type of deviation would go unnoticed by me by the time I strap a different watch on.

If your watch looses 6 hours a day it's still 75% accurate ((6*60*60)/(60*60*24) = 0.25). If your watch looses 15 minutes a day it is still 99.98% accurate.

That being said, if it gains / looses more then a minute or two I'd contact the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
    I think it depends largely on the watch. For example on a Vintage watch that you really want, you might find that you will tolerate an erratic movement, because you know it is ineed of an overhaul. then again on a brand new quartz loosing 5 second a day, you would have a cow then of course there is everything in between.

Personally on a new or serviced mechanical I'm happy with +/- 15 seconds per day. the reason is that i rarely wear a watch for more than one or two days, so that type of deviation would go unnoticed by me by the time I strap a different watch on.

What Isthmus said

Would I return a new watch just because it wasn't running as accurately as I'd like? No. If it's not running the way I'd like I'd get it regulated. I suspect many companies don't spend much if any efforts regulating their watches - many have very liberal specifications as to how accurate their watches should be. If a company states that it's acceptable for their movements to be +/- 30 seconds/day, that's probably because they don't really regulate them all that well. There may be new movements that aren't more accurate than that, but every watch I've ever had could be regulated to be much, much better than that.

I'm finding that I really want my watches to run accurately. When I first started collecting good watches they were mostly 6497/8 based ones (I like large watches) Those are positionally sensitive so I could set them down as needed at night to gain or loose a few seconds as needed. I've regulated all those watches so that I can keep them within a few seconds of true time for as long as I care to.

Recently I've gotten a few automatic watches, mostly ETA 2824s. Those don't seem to vary as much so I can't really set them down at night to gain or loose. I have a couple that are around +1 sec/day (one came that way - dumb luck, and another I regulated), but a few others are running perhaps +3-5/day. I know that's still within COSC specs, but honestly that's not good enough for me. 5 seconds fast/day is still 2.5 minutes/month. Eventually I'll get around to regulating those watches to be better.

But there's no way a company is going to accept a return on a new watch because it's running 5 seconds fast/day...

THis is a tough questions, as you have to determine what specifically is being targeted.

Are we talking: Digital vs Auto?

If Digital: Atomic vs non-atomic? If atomic, I would expect -0/0 per day due to the resynch every 24 hours. If non-atomic, than -5/5 may be acceptable per month.

Automatic: COSC or non-COSC? Vintage vs non-vintage? Hand wound or rotor round, etc.

The list goes on...........

For this poll, I selected -5/5 per day, as it was the closest to COSC spec I could find in the answers.

I was kind of freaked out by the fact that my brand new IWC was running at +5s/day in the first week of acquiring it. It didn't get much wrist time in the first week but once I've started wearing it more often the accuracy has definitely gone up. It is now running less than +2s/day and I am very happy with that. Maybe you just need to "burn in" the new movements (I'm no expert, lol).

I would return the watch to an AD to have it checked-up and regulated if it is running more than +/-10s/day though.
    Last edited by skyrider007; November 24th, 2009 at 00:27.
    - IWC Classic Pilot's Mark XVI
    - Omega 300M Bond Seamaster Chronometer
    - Calibre de Cartier SS
    - Corum Admiral's Cup 41mm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information