What is a "local watchmaker"?

Thread: What is a "local watchmaker"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is a "local watchmaker"?

A number of responses to "how do I fix my watch" questions say "take the watch to your local watchmaker." What exactly does that mean? I live in a pretty densely populated suburban area, and have never seen an establishment described as a "watchmaker." Does this refer to a jewelry store that performs repairs? I'd like to find a good local "watchmaker" before I have the NEED for one!

Re: What is a "local watchmaker"?

Many jewelry stores have a full or part time watchmaker. In Phoenix, Az. the Ben Bridges jewelry store (which is in a mall and is an ad for many brands) has a watchmaker on staff along with all of the sales people. He regulates watches, performs pressure tests and does all sorts of repair work. I've heard a radio commercial for Jared's Jewelry which talks about their watchmaker as well...no experience personally though.

Sometimes smaller jewelry stores have watchmakers. Also look in your yellow pages under clock repair. Here in Tucson there is a guy who does both clock and watch repair, he is also a Rolex Certified Repairman.

Chad

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My local jeweler who sells Rolex is also a watchmaker. Nice old guy. He regulated my SAR to be dead on.
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

Like others said, you just look around at different jewelers and find someone who is good with watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Vito_Corleone View Post
    Like others said, you just look around at different jewelers and find someone who is good with watches.

That's the question, how? Most jewelry stores say they do "repairs." That can range from a nice old guy who knows what he's doing (good) to sending it out to who knows where. How do we find someone who is good with watches without trial and error, or being lucky enough to be in a location where others have done the testing earlier?

Personally, I go around to different places and talk to people. I like to get an idea of what they are confident in. I guess it could boil down to trial and error, but if you go to reputable places that work on high end watches, there shouldn't be much error.

Quote Originally Posted by wxman View Post
    That's the question, how? Most jewelry stores say they do "repairs." That can range from a nice old guy who knows what he's doing (good) to sending it out to who knows where. How do we find someone who is good with watches without trial and error, or being lucky enough to be in a location where others have done the testing earlier?
    Its like finding a good accountant. Trial and error, or get a referral from somebody. The best service people always have a following. That goes for tailors, accountants, attorneys, watchmakers etc. Or, of course you can go check some out and talk to them and see if it sounds like they know their stuff. Tell us where youre located and somebody may be able to point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by wxman View Post
    Search the forums or ask if anyone can recommend someone for a specific location. Also ask people you know who have nicer watches (mechanical watches that could get serviced every now and then, not someone with a cheap quartz who only needs a battery change.)

Also make sure that the service is done on site, not sent out somewhere. I want to be able to talk to the watchmaker, not just some sales person who's going to drop the watch into an envelope. I also prefer those locations where I can actually see into the work area so I can watch what's being do in there.

I believe that if the repairman has a certificate designating him as a certified master watchmaker, then he's the real deal. Anyone can call themselves a repairman, or a mechanic, or a photographer because they get paid to do these things. Check out the person's training and experience and references before you leave an expensive timepiece with him/her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information