What Is Love? You love watches. Did one ever show you love? This one will.
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What Is Love? You love watches. Did one ever show you love? This one will.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What Is Love? You love watches. Did one ever show you love? This one will.

Hey, baby, lemme show you what time it is.

I went to ogle this watch during lunch today. It's refined. It's a non-manufacture watch I'd pay a lot for. It's elegant. More than anything, it's not like anything you'll find from another brand. IMO, the "movement" in this watch is unparalleled and a treat to see. About the only downside is that it's also expensive. ($70K)

In the words of the Watchonista:
    In addition to the legitimacy lent to it by history, this is a totally fun and unconventional exercise, perfectly aligned with present-day mechanical watchmaking, which is purely dedicated for collection and entertainment.

A bit about J&C in case you are unfamiliar with them: (from the Watchonista)
    Jacob & Co. and its founder, Jacob Arabo, are renowned for being the celebrities’ jeweller & watchmaker of choice, hailing from New York, and famous for their exceptional jeweled timepieces. But few people are aware that Jacob & Co. recently opened a new office in Plan-Les-Ouates. Located in the fortified house of Arare, a fortified edifice dating back to the Middle Ages (1371), and meant to be a defensive outpost to guard the then emerging Canton of Geneva.

Jacob& Co. presents one of his latest timepieces, the Caligula. The evocative name demands attention. For history enthusiasts, Caligula was a bloodthirsty Roman emperor whose reign, short-lived as it was, was renowned for both its violent and decadent streak. But for movie connoisseurs, Caligula evokes scenes where eroticism prevailed over bloodshed. Most notably the 1979 “Caligula” film by Italian filmmaker Tinto Brass, who is especially renowned for his work in the erotic genre. As the tale goes, while Tinto directed the erotic scenes by day, his producer Bob Guccione shot more crude scenes by night!
    Like this iconic movie, you will see that this watch also suggests more versatile views. Indeed, Jacob & Co.’s Caligula relates to Brass’ work more than the violence epitomized by the historical tyrant. So, why? Let us tell you why…

First, this watch stands out from other Jacob & Co. timepieces, which typically feature angular shaped cases, geometric shapes, vibrant colours and are adorned with exquisite gems; moreover, the current Caligula model is presented without precious stones, a rare and rather unusual thing for Jacob & Co. With its smooth curves, its classical design and its highly conventional colour pattern (we’d expect pink gold and a slate color dial from Philippe Dufour, not from Jacob & Co.), this piece surprises.

Instead of vividly colored geometric shapes, the dial of the Caligula features a sober and yet elegant guilloché. Even more startling, the case is engraved with a fish net pattern, echoing that of the guilloché finish – which seems, at first glance, a little bit out of context; but there’s still more to be revealed… Examine the watch more closely, you will see it has two crowns and that the upper part of the dial is hollowed-out. By turning the lower crown, the dial rotates through three positions, each revealing 120° of the dial. While, the upper position only displays the Jacob & Co.’s logo, the median and lower positions are much more exciting.

The dial itself is exceptionally well executed, both in terms of style and technique; demonstrating Jacob & Co’s watchmaking expertise. This mastery is also prevalent in the overall theme: we'll come to that later, but let us first take a look at its movement. The calibre, manufactured by Concepto, is based on the Valjoux 7750, with more jewels and enlarged plates. The C03025 movement measures 35mm by 8.7mm and is fitted with 25 rubies. It boasts a 48h power reserve at 28’800 vph. It is however very difficult to identify the 7750 DNA, at first glance. Furthermore, the smoked sapphire on the case back and the high level finish on the calibre further modify its aspect… The C03025 can be compared to a combination of a top-level 7750 with the proportions of a Valgrange.

Now, I'll bet if you've made it this far, you're saying, yeah, yeah, yeah....blah, blah, blah...so what. Tony likes pricey stuff and mostly it's good looking stuff and here's another of his uber long, boring posts. But this one I think you'll like having read to the end. Here's the part that makes it worth it: Jacob & Co. The Most Erotic Watch Ever Created - YouTube

Watchonista pics here: Jacob & Co Caligula - Album | Watchonista
    Full text of his review is here, but all I omitted was the editorial commentary toward the end of the review. I concur with his opinion, but I doubt most folks here care. Jacob & Co. Caligula: take a peek at what.

Happy Whorology.
    Last edited by tony20009; October 24th, 2013 at 08:57.
    BMack likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Re: What Is Love? You love watches. Did one ever show you love? This one will.

I didn't read a great deal, looked at the pics. I can understand why you are enamored, but to each his/her own, which I know you agree with. They're lovely watches and the backside (the watch, not the gal) is ok, but if/when I spend that kind of money, it'll probably be something more traditional from the likes of ALS or PP or Dufour, etc. Thx for the interesting/entertaining post . . .
    tony20009 likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

That is horrid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quite frankly, that price is ridiculous.
    The movement looks fairly pedestrian considering the price, especially since it's based on a 7750.
    It is a limited edition but I think for that price there are others I would get, not that I would spend that much on a watch.
    But then I don't find the erotic nature so appealing which is the whole point of the watch.

There are other erotic timepieces that are more appealing imo.

Quote Originally Posted by faiz View Post
    Quite frankly, that price is ridiculous.
    There are other erotic timepieces that are more appealing imo.
    OK...enlighten me. Can you find a pic to post?
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Another to strike off the used watch list.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittysafe View Post
    That is horrid.
    What? You don't like Haddaway? I know the song is old -- it's been at least 20 years since it was regular listening at beach parties and clubs - but it's not that bad.

All the best.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

I thought the topic is about the watch worn in the movie night in roxbury(?) LOL
    Mr. Panerai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
    OK...enlighten me. Can you find a pic to post?
    Blancpain is the king of erotic automatons;

http://leblogdesmontres.fr/wp-conten...aroussel-1.jpg

Despite the vulgarity they still come across as real works of art.
    The level of finishing in the hand engraving is just incredible.

EDITED; Sorry guys I tried to make this a bit more SFW.
    Last edited by faiz; October 24th, 2013 at 22:49.
    tony20009 likes this.

I like the watches a lot. I don't so much like that it seems there's no discrete way to wear them, which is a major point of appeal for the J&C.

They are gorgeous all the same, but they are also more than double the price of the J&C. Whereas I can consider spending $70K on the J&C, I'm not in a position to spend $150K+ on the Blancpain. I appreciate your sharing them; had no idea of their existence. It's nice to know they are out there when budget and whimsy coalesce to bring one my way. (FWIW, they are by request only.)

In truth, I had no idea that the J&C version had animation. I'd seen it on their site and knew it looked very "low key" in comparison to the rest of their offerings. But I love the look of the dial. I was expecting the watch to be more around $40K, not $70, but I can see why 70 now that I've held and watched one.

All the best.

EDIT: PICS removed from the quote at Faiz's request. Link inserted in their place

Quote Originally Posted by faiz View Post
    Blancpain is the king of erotic automatons;

http://leblogdesmontres.fr/wp-conten...aroussel-1.jpg

Despite the vulgarity they still come across as real works of art.
    The level of finishing in the hand engraving is just incredible.
    Last edited by tony20009; October 25th, 2013 at 02:47. Reason: Faiz asked that I replace pics with a link.
    Cheers,
    Tony

― A.A. Milne

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information