What makes a good watch collection?

Thread: What makes a good watch collection?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What makes a good watch collection?

I have recently got interested in fine watches and I am wondering how people go about assembling their collections. Do you pick a theme? A brand? Or on the contrary are you trying to cover all the bases with watches of different styles, colors etc? Or maybe it is entirely random and you pick what you like with no further motive. Just interested in people's perspective/experience.

Re: What makes a good watch collection?

Welcome along. Here's a recent thread on a similar topic:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=361722

It seems most people have eclectic collections trying not to double up too much. Then others take pride in a particular niche.

I personally try to get watches for different occasions/purposes.

For me it turned out to be more brand oriented but I did not start out with that in mind. Now in hindsight I seem to enjoy the design/style of Breitling but each model has a specific job. The Navi is my dress watch when I put it on the black leather, less dressy on the band. The Steelfish as it is brushed finish, is my daily wear watch, the Skyland is my sport/casual wear and the Colt is for casual but more for winter wear as it is smaller and thinner so it fits under sweaters and coats more comfortably. I have leather and bands for all of them so that gives me more flexibility for style and look. I have a very strong attraction to Breitling tool watches and have a problem spending that amount on other brands. We all have our own bent and this is mine.
    Best, Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

First of all, Welcome to the forum neighbor. I'm in R.I.
    I had a much different idea of what I liked before becoming a member at WUS. The only idea I had of watches was browsing local stores and shopping malls. Now I see a whole new world of watches. Great pics of what the watch might look on my wrist. Reviews to read beforehand. And the members here
    honest opinions. If you want to start a collection. Get ready my friend, you are in for a ride coming here. Have your credit card ready because you are going to see watches and strap ideas that are going to blow your mind. You are on your way to a great collection that you will truly love. BTW start by buying a watch box. You are going to need it.

-Dave

I am up to two watches for now. First is a Tag Aquaracer Chrono, second a Corum Romulus. After reading some posts on that forum, I took some member advice to anticipate more purchases and got a quad winder. That was good advice as I am now thinking about a third one. All in a few months, mmm. You are right about that credit card. I am thinking I need to slow down and make the next one count. There are only so many days in the week to wear those watches after all.

I started out just buying what i liked. Then i restricted myself to having at the most 2 watches of the same brand. Then i stayed away from dial colours that i have 1 too many. Now i'm trying to stay away from watches 'cos i think i have enough.

To me,a good collection is 1 where u will always have a watch to match your dressing n mood. To some, one watch will suffice..to others,it's never enough.

You are starting out real nice with your 2 pieces. Hope u enjoy the hunt n arrive at a collection u can be proud of.
    Last edited by niles316; February 25th, 2010 at 05:47.

I identified a large number of watches that I liked and the became a consume of opportunity. Every now and the a watch comes up on the forum that is priced to sel very quickly. Take advantage of those opportunities when you can. If you don't like the watch when you receive i, the simply flip it a hopefuly no loss. It's lots o fun
    Current Collection:
    Rolex Subc 2tone Blu 116613LB
    Rolex DSSD
    Rolex Sub C, date
    Rolex Sub C, Hulk
    Rolex Milgauss zBlue
    Rolex Explorer II 216570 White Dial
    Breitling Navitimer B01
    Breitling Chronomat GMT 47mm
    Anonimo Dino Zei San Marco

Corum Dive Bomber, Shark
    Corum Dive Bomber, Tiger
    Frotis MM Chrono Chain Saw

Fortis B42 Chrono PVD
    Fortis pilot

As long as you enjoy your collection, then it is a good collection!

Quote Originally Posted by jackb1117 View Post
    As long as you enjoy your collection, then it is a good collection!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StephenD View Post
    Do you pick a theme? A brand?
    Yes. My theme is buy it and see if you like it. One of my old signatures was "Your collection isn't complete until you've owned them ALL". I'm about 1/3 of the way there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information