What makes a watch brand reputable?

Thread: What makes a watch brand reputable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What makes a watch brand reputable?

Just curious what on what an expert WIS looks for in a watch company to discern if they're a high-quality watchmaker, or just a company that makes just expensive watches.

At first I thought the big divider was automatic vs quartz, but now I get the impression that some automatic mfr's are still considered inferior by many WIS's. Is it about the in-house movements, or heavily modified ETA's? Is it about the cost? Is it about how long the company has been around? Is it about the technical innovations the company has introduced?

I'm always a little perplexed when I hear someone say watchmaker x is "just another mall brand"

Re: What makes a watch brand reputable?

It grits my teeth to hear "mall watch". I've seen the likes of Patek Philippe, F.-P. Journe and Harry Winston being sold, at the mall.

you hit on some. probably such buzzwords as tradition, history, innovation, movements, country, value, mass public perception ( though this one can work both ways).
    --AC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    It grits my teeth to hear "mall watch". I've seen the likes of Patek Philippe, F.-P. Journe and Harry Winston being sold, at the mall.

At the mall in Syracuse a high end jewelry store sells Rolex and Breitling as well as other high end product.

One store at my local mall sells Breitling, Chopard, piaget, IWC, cartier, JLC and more. Another one on the other side of the mall sells Rolex. I dont necessarily think that the "mall watch" name refers to fine jewelry stores located in a particular mall, but rather common department stores frequently located in malls, as they all tend to carry very similar inventory. If you dont like the price at one store, just go to the one next to it and check the price there-whereas many of the "higher end" brands will make sure that there is only one AD in any given mall/area.

back on topic though, I think everything OP mentioned is what makes up a reputable brand. there are different degrees of everything that you listed, which make up the watch hierarchy.
    Last edited by RJRJRJ; May 13th, 2008 at 21:46.

I am aware that higher-end watches are usually available at the mall. Our local mall has one jeweller that sells Zenith, Rolex, Cartier, Breitling, Omega, Baume & Mercier, etc.

That was just a blanket term ascribed to a few brands by someone on the internet which prompted this post. Browsing through another internet forum (not this one) a few people claimed that B&M is not desirable since the company is not of the same stature of other companies like IWC.

I'm just trying to figure out how people decide what makes a brand more or less credible as a watchmaker. I guess I'm trying to decipher how you tell where a brand fits within the hierarchy of brands.
    Last edited by omairp; May 13th, 2008 at 21:47.

While no means all inclusive and to some extent subjective, this link is a pretty good starting point.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

Well GinGinD beat me to it...I was going to post that chart.

Also, let's assume those internet people are correct about iwc and baume... and use some of the above criteria...

movements--iwc uses in house movements in some of its models and my understanding is that baume does not

history and tradition--i believe IWC was one of the original 5 watchmakers that produced the B flieger type watches worn by WWII pilots.

just a couple simple examples....

Quote Originally Posted by GinGinD View Post
    While no means all inclusive and to some extent subjective, this link is a pretty good starting point.

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml
    --AC

To me a good Starting point is being involved to some degree in the manufacturing process of your the watch that carries your name. If you are paying someone to put your name on a watch made and designed by them, then are you really a watch company?

That plus a history of fair and reliable customer service and support.

heres my opinion I compare it to cars...
    there are alot of great cars out there, but not everyone has a Ferrari. theres alot of great swiss watches out there but not all swiss watches are a Vacheron Constantin.(just picking a random high end brand) In House movements, quality control and a very limited quantity made per year or at all. thats what give a watch company that reputation.
    and I "think" please correct me if I'm wrong, most of these uber watch companies aren't COSC certified. they usually display The Geneva Seal(Poincon De Geneve) engraved on the bridge and or dial. ie; the Tour de L'ile has it b/t 4 and 5 hour markers on the dial.
    again, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information