What makes a watch comfortable?
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What makes a watch comfortable?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

What makes a watch comfortable?

I seen many times on the forum people describing a watch as "comfortable" or the "most comfortable" etc.

What supposedly makes a watch, strap, watch/strap "the most comfortable"? Rolex seems to be a popular recipient of the "most comfortable" award. I've worn several oyster braceleted Rolex watches. None of them were anymore comfortable in my view than my Hamilton or Certina both sporting a similar oyster design. I've heard people talk about the jubilee on the SKX as comfortable. To me it's a jangily piece of crap that's never inspired great confidence in how secure it is. Rattily and sloppy is how I would describe it.

I've got a buddy with what he describes as the "most comfortable leather strap" he's ever owned. Based on the price I think it might be unicorn cordovan or something and it's not that great. It feels like a leather strap me. The fact he spent in excess 0f $350 for it speaks more to his gullibility than the comfortableness of the strap in my opinion.

So do our feelings about a watch or what we paid for something dictate whether we think it's comfortable or not? Is an expensive watch more comfortable because we feel it must be because of the price? Do we just lie to ourselves?
    Last edited by OnlyOneMore; 5 Days Ago at 18:24.
    Ted Rzad likes this.

Re: What makes a watch comfortable?

I think weight is a factor. Heavy watches are uncomfortable for me (>190 grams).
    Bulova 96b213
    Seiko 6138-8030
    Oris Aquis Clipperton
    Vostok Amphibia 090914
    Tissot Couturier Small Second

If the watch is on a bracelet I find a taper a big help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To me comfort is if I forget I am wearing a watch. Many times a NATO strap does it for me. A properly sized bracelet also does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lek, Nordlys and MissSummerStorm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneMore View Post
    I seen many times on the forum people describing a watch as "comfortable" or the "most comfortable" etc.

What supposedly makes a watch, strap, watch/strap "the most comfortable"? Rolex seems to be a popular recipient of the "most comfortable" award. I've worn several oyster braceleted Rolex watches. None of them were anymore comfortable in my view than my Hamilton or Certina both sporting a similar oyster design. I've heard people talk about the jubilee on the SKX as comfortable. To me it's a jangily piece of crap that's never inspired great confidence in how secure it is. Rattily and sloppy is how I would describe it.

I've got a buddy with what he describes as the "most comfortable leather strap" he's ever owned. Based on the price I think it might be unicorn cordovan or something and not that great. It feels like a leather strap me. The fact he spent in excess 0f $350 for it speaks more to his gullibility than the comfortableness of the strap in my opinion.

So do our feelings about a watch or what we paid for something dictate whether we think it's comfortable or not? Is an expensive watch more comfortable because we feel it must be because of the price? Do we just lie to ourselves?
    To state the obvious what makes a watch and strap/bracelet "most comfortable" is how it feels on ones wrist. Because we differ as individuals a given watch will not always fit and feel the same. I don't see a correlation between price paid and watch comfort.

definitely for me weight is a huge factor. Found I far prefer light watches. I know some people appreciate some "heft", but for me, in the future I'm prioritizing lightweight (ie. titanium) watches.

For straps, thinner the better for me as working on computer a lot, anything under the wrist can be bothersome. And how pliable/breathable the material is. I've had some stiff rubber and leather straps that are just hard to get feeling right.

Then it comes down to fit, which sometimes is hard to get perfect. The more micro adjustment the better. Even like NATOs sometimes I want to fit between holes.

Weight, lug to lug, and strap choice are key for me.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

No ripping out hairs. Smooth feeling against the wrist. Does not slip or turn the watch under the wrist. No sharp edges that "dig in".
    oztech likes this.

Size and L2L measurement.

Lugs -- curved down rather than straight out from the mid-case. Case back not protruding too far below springbar holes on the lugs -- if lug ends sit lower than caseback, seems to fit better.

Female endlinks, except in cases where a male endlink sinks the effective lug-drop even lower.

Fully articulated bracelets, like a 3-link, 5-link, mesh, or h-link, rather than oyster-style, where it fakes 3-links, but is actually just one link. Bracelets with half-links and microadjust clasps.

Elastic straps like EO MN and Mankey Hook designs. Properly fitting leather straps.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

One thing all of the watches that I currently own have one thing in common - they are comfortable.

I don't care how great it looks or how amazing the functionality is - if its not comfortable for extended wear I cannot tolerate it.

Quite a few of my "gone but not forgotten" watches are in that category because they were not comfortable.

For me that has always come down to crown dig and that comes from a protruding or sharp crown and perhaps combined with a heavy watch. I will say that I like to wear my watches loose so that is a contributing factor.

Notable examples in my experience are the Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E and the Oris Big Crwon Pro pilot - I really liked both watches but not the nibbling on the back of the hand.
    Cheers

M

Current collection: Glycine Combat 6 GL0106, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical H694190, Seiko Sarb 033, Citizen "Ray Mears" BN0118-55E , Casio Edifice EF-503D-1A, VSA Alliance, Citizen NY0040-09e, Seiko "Turtle" SBDY015, Lorus field watch RXF41AX7, Pulsar field watch PS9045, Seiko 5 SNXS77, SNXS73, Favre Leuba Vintage watch.
    Gone but not forgotten: Oris Big Crown Propilot, Seiko SKX009, Orient Star Classic, Citizen "Excalibur" BN0100-51E, Citizen NP4020-51A, Citizen BM8180-03E, Citizen BM6400-00e, VSA Officers day date
    Capture and release: Oris BC3, Hamilton Khaki Field, Timefactors Speedbird 3, Citizen World Timer CB0027-51E

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information